Moz on the big screen in the USA

Morrissey DVD to be screened in North America - ...hang the dj

Excerpt:

Morrissey's upcoming Hollywood High DVD release is reportedly going to be screened in theaters in North America according to a Facebook post by Sam Esty Raynor (aka Morrissey's nephew). Read Raynor's post below (via Morrissey News).

"So the film of the Morrissey show at The Hollywood High School will be shown at 47 cinema across the United States of America, you lucky bastards. Available in IMAX 3D."

No word on when/where the screenings will take place, or for that matter, when the official DVD will be released. The concert film is expected to be released on DVD later this year, though an official date has not been announced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious. I wonder why this is happening.

I thought the same. Is there a demand for this?

On the surface, it would seem it's part of some publicity campaign, perhaps in correlation with a new tour or (gasp!) album? Because on it's own, I don't see this being a money making venture. But who knows? I'm no cinema expert. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

Screenings in San Francisco will surely be cancelled due to a burst water pipe.

Last edited:

On the surface, it would seem it's part of some publicity campaign, perhaps in correlation with a new tour or (gasp!) album? Because on it's own, I don't see this being a money making venture. But who knows? I'm no cinema expert. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course there’s a demand for it! Are you saying you wouldn’t want to see him up on the big screen?!

- - - Updated - - -

There's this thing in LA theaters (I can't remember the outfit's name, starts with an F I think) where they show operas and concerts on Saturdays in select theaters. It could be something like that. Or I went to an Imax showing of a U2 concert in 3D once, my friend saw the stones... it should be interesting. :cool: He says a very sincere I love you at the end I'd love to hear again. :sweet:

Of course there’s a demand for it! Are you saying you wouldn’t want to see him up on the big screen?!

I would probably drive a reasonable distance from my home to see this, but the interest level is significantly lower than it would be for a real concert.

When I say "is there a demand for this" I mean outside of the die-hard Morrissey community. I'm sure this will do well in NY, LA, Chicago, etc. due to sheer population numbers. But in the B and C markets..... I dunno. I'm not sure a casual fan is going to go through the effort to see a recorded Morrissey concert on a movie screen.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/05/03/08/0823226.shtml

this happened in 2005 for "who put the m in manchester"

As posted by Belligerent Ghoul!!! There's a blast from the past.

I would probably drive a reasonable distance from my home to see this, but the interest level is significantly lower than it would be for a real concert.

When I say "is there a demand for this" I mean outside of the die-hard Morrissey community. I'm sure this will do well in NY, LA, Chicago, etc. due to sheer population numbers. But in the B and C markets..... I dunno. I'm not sure a casual fan is going to go through the effort to see a recorded Morrissey concert on a movie screen.

- - - Updated - - -

As posted by Belligerent Ghoul!!! There's a blast from the past.

I guess we’ll just have to see what happens if this movie actually comes out. I think any Morrissey fan (diehard or otherwise) would go see it. I can’t think of a reason not to. It may not be the blockbuster hit of the summer but neither was Flight 666 the Iron Maiden movie but it was cool to see them in a theatre with other fans.

Re: error

...That fb link took me in approximately 1/125 second to what appears to be the LA Hookers Facebook page! (They post tons of pics of themselves.) I had mentally prepared myself for photographs nepotistically worthy of adorning record sleeves...say, Smiths style...so got a bit of a shock there.

Thanks for the lulz! :)

I guess we’ll just have to see what happens if this movie actually comes out. I think any Morrissey fan (diehard or otherwise) would go see it. I can’t think of a reason not to. It may not be the blockbuster hit of the summer but neither was Flight 666 the Iron Maiden movie but it was cool to see them in a theatre with other fans.

I don't think you get it. If every single person that bought his last record goes to these screenings it will be considered a flop.

IMAX! Do those still operate? IMAX itself feels very 2002. From a New Zealand perspective the release would most likely become part of a film festive programme that often do the rounds here. It does sound quite neat though. Karaoke at the IMAX!

IMAX! Do those still operate? IMAX itself feels very 2002. From a New Zealand perspective the release would most likely become part of a film festive programme that often do the rounds here. It does sound quite neat though. Karaoke at the IMAX!

The one Imax concert I went to was ridiculously sad. It was U2 (the projector broke halfway through and we got our money back, lol.) and the Imax theaters are ginormous. There was the three of us and maybe two other couples in the entire theater. It was creepy. Hundreds of empty seats while Bono was trying to pump up the crowd and obviously coached on capitalizing on the 3D cameras, pointing and running towards them. Lame.

In defense of the IMAX thing, the U2 show was a long-running show. I imagine the Hollywood High show would be a short-run affair. And we went to a midnight showing up at the Universal Citywalk which is creepy to me for a zillion other reasons.

Last edited:
Just need to add scratch-n-sniff cards and the experience would be complete.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom