Moz on Russell Brand

Stuheff

Sing your Strife
As much as I love to see old man Morrissey on T.V. I have just read this review of the Russell Brand show... And I cant really see him turning up to be fair.... Amy Winehouse being a total mess didnt help...

What say you oh loyal and trusted solo posters??

The Russell Brand Show, Channel 4, Friday 24 November 2006
Did we like it?
An experience not unlike a bomb going off with windows shattered by deafening levels of amateurism, the foundations upon which there was to be built a chat show weakened to the point of shambolic collapse by the shrapnel of egregious egotism, but perversely above it all there was the definitive, endearing impression of a pall of captivating charismatic smoke with messy hair named Russell.

What was good about it?
• Despite almost everything in the show being utterly rubbish, it somehow worked and was entertaining. Perhaps it was so bad that we were duped into thinking it was a clever Kumars-style parody of the chat show didactic. And the main reason we were so entertained was Russell Brand himself.
• While almost everything Russell did was ham-fisted and inept, we were somehow beguiled by his charm. And even when he hopelessly tried to interview guests David Walliams and Matt Lucas in the third part after 45 minutes previously of directionless rambling in their general direction, we were egging him on to succeed. And this was mostly because as he desperately tried to string together sentences that didn’t contain the word “I”, he became nervous and more human as his veneer of confidence was stripped away.
• Each time he stumbled over asking a question, or showed interest in another person other than himself, he became more tolerable and this above anything else on the show was his greatest achievement – transforming a comic who ruthlessly trades on his snide cruelty and subhuman dissolution into a person who the viewer can relate to, and ultimately like.
• When allowed to, guests Matt and David made some wry quips, but they were really little more than foils for Brand. When they were actually chatting about Matt Lucas, in particular his upcoming civil partnership ceremony, Russell again flipped the topic to himself by shrilly remarking that to be invited he would need “to come as a pantomime character”. “Come as yourself,” Matt replied tartly.

What was bad about it?
• We weren’t especially enamoured with the cumbersome sketches such as Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes in bed with David Beckham offering advice. But this is largely because that couple have travelled so far beyond lampooning that Tom could wave to his Thetan “ancestors” from out the window.
• It is not a chat show. At no point did Russell ever interview Lucas and Walliams despite threatening to on any number of occasions. Whenever they got talking, Russell would yank the interview to focus on himself such as encouraging David to tell Matt how he met Russell (it was on a cruise liner for a TV comedy-drama from which Russell was sacked from essentially for being a smackhead).
• Even when they chatted about the Little Britain stage show, Russell wheeled the conversation around to focus on his recent cameo.
• And this accentuated the fact that Russell is no chat show host. While he can expertly hold court over a bunch of ramshackle non-entities on BB’s Big Mouth, when it comes to actually talking to people he takes the Margaret Thatcher path of disinterested arrogance. Lucas and Walliams were there for an hour yet any question merely served as the preamble to an insipid sketch, and it even got to the stage where David Walliams actually started to interview Russell.
• Russell adhering to the Jonathan Ross lexicon of insincere American diction when he described a confectionary bust of Matt Lucas’s head as being “made of gen-u-wine chocolate”.
• An audience who will applaud everything as though they’ve been disgorged from the pumped stomach of Brand’s chat show on MTV 1 Leicester Square, which worshipped the worthless with a religious fervour. Anyone who even speaks to Gwen Stefani loses the right to be on television, or to even have ears.
• Russell’s hopeless football chant based on Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl, it was as if a disembodied drunken pub chat had taken possession of our TV for five minutes.
• Russell demanding Lucas and Walliams to recite endless Little Britain catchphrases in an effort to tread water in the ocean of inanity until they could all be rescued by a passing commercial break trawler.

Please God anyone connected with Moz didn't watch, as you so eloquently say, because there are very good reasons for him to cancel...On a selfish level, I hope it goes ahead...even if to witness Brand yelling across the studio,as he did with Amy W, 'Oi! Are you pissed?'. Would love to see the response. Somehow, think he might reign himself in. OR he could unravel spectacularly- not sure that having Coutrney Love will make things worse or better...

It was *really* bad.

I don't mind Russell Brand but this was the biggest ego-fest I've ever seen.

I can't see Morrissey putting up with his loudmouth schtick.

The old Short shrift...

I cant really see him turning up

i hope, to god, that he doesn't

that man is an arsehole and really, really not funny

i hope, to god, that he doesn't

that man is an arsehole and really, really not funny

I cant stand 'the Brand' either. But wouldnt it be great if Moz did go on and Brando did his usual rubbish and then Moz just replied "Please dont buy my records again".

Im in a very spiteful mood today as you can probably tell.

Morrissey, please do not do this show! Much and all as I would love to see him on TV, this is not the show for him. If he does appear, I hope he wipes the floor with Brand and shows him up for the idiot he is!

I would like to watch Brand's ego wither....slowly and painfully. :p

HaHa!!
If there's one person who can use their caustic wit, intelligence, wordiness and personality to bring that tosser Brand down, it's Morrissey!!

You and I should go and start Morrissey chants whenever he tries to talk....
Who knows....It might drive him to do something actally funny.:D :D

HaHa!!
If there's one person who can use their caustic wit, intelligence, wordiness and personality to bring that tosser Brand down, it's Morrissey!!

Boread as I am I think the perfect Mozza put down perhaps would be "yes Russell you are nothing more than a Brand"

You and I should go and start Morrissey chants whenever he tries to talk....
Who knows....It might drive him to do something actally funny.:D :D

That'd be great to get the chant going "Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey"!!!!!!!!!!
I'd love to be there to put a major spanner in Brand's works.

Or he could just call him a "f*****G drug fuelled cretin" like I would.

I fail miserably to find "cretin" offensive, It makes me think of crouton, which as you might quess is not offensive at all.:p

It was painful viewing no doubt about it. My opinion Courtney Love will do the interview a la lucas and walliams and Moz will just do the music a la whitehouse. No wat he will partake in an interview IMO

Cossy

HaHa!!

I don't think so. Morrissey will remain as tongued tied and awkward as he always is on such programmes and Brand will walk all over him. Then loads of people on music message boards will go on for at least a week about what a twat Moz is.

Oh dear, the Moz forum clichés are out in force.

It was rather horrific and quite the ego fest for Brand, but I still like the chap. He is funny (least he can be on BB chat show thingy).

I have a really strong feeling morrissey will bring a real something to this strange show,

it will be great to have all us mozza fans chanting and totally ruining the live broadcast

wishfull thinking maybe?

Brand is merely a passing article of pop culture, whereas Morrissey is, and always has been 'in it' for the long haul. He doesn't need to sully himself by even associating himself with the witless, crass tripe which Brand is so fond of spewing from his cake-hole. I for one hope that Morrissey avoids this sorry excuse for entertainment like the plague. He'd have a more productive day buffing linoleum.

Brand is merely a passing article of pop culture, whereas Morrissey is, and always has been 'in it' for the long haul. He doesn't need to sully himself by even associating himself with the witless, crass tripe which Brand is so fond of spewing from his cake-hole. I for one hope that Morrissey avoids this sorry excuse for entertainment like the plague. He'd have a more productive day buffing linoleum.

we have gone from discussing if Moz will appear on the show to denouncing Brand as ever being part of pop culture. Where did that come from? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom