Moz on Russell Brand

As accurate as that review is, I can't see why there is a tide of vitriol sweeping Russell Brand's way from Morrissey Solo when the man has proclaimed his love of Moz ceaslessly since he rose to fame, thereby bringing him to the attention of a more mainstream audience. Could it be the bitter taste of jealousy that a fan gets to interview Moz? Or simply that Brand doesn't 'fit' as a Morrissey fan by virtue of being painted as a lust fueled, publicity seeking ex-junkie?
Furthermore, as bizzarre as the chat show was, and as unfunny and uncomfortable as Brand was on it, he is capable of being an intelligent comedian; his stand up for the Secret Policeman's Ball was pretty decent for a newbie. I think that once again this is a case of Channel 4 not having thought things through, throwing a vague format at an amateur and saying 'get on with it'. The problem i have with Russell Brand at the moment is not that i dislike him, or his 'Frank Spencer on crack' comedy style, it's that he's falling into the trap of our big brother generation of celebrities, who think they are invincible and should accept all offers.
I'm not sure if Morrissey should cancel to be honest, despite the potential (as one poster put it) for 'car crash tv', it's publicity for the single in front of a different audience. I'm certain that one thing Brand won't do is humiliate his hero; he has said he 'would kill or die for Morrissey'. Morrissey will be aware of this ... give both of them the benefit of the doubt, Moz is cannier than you give him credit for and behind the facade, Brand is just a shy boy in love with a pop star.

As accurate as that review is, I can't see why there is a tide of vitriol sweeping Russell Brand's way from Morrissey Solo when the man has proclaimed his love of Moz ceaslessly since he rose to fame, thereby bringing him to the attention of a more mainstream audience. Could it be the bitter taste of jealousy that a fan gets to interview Moz? Or simply that Brand doesn't 'fit' as a Morrissey fan by virtue of being painted as a lust fueled, publicity seeking ex-junkie?
Furthermore, as bizzarre as the chat show was, and as unfunny and uncomfortable as Brand was on it, he is capable of being an intelligent comedian; his stand up for the Secret Policeman's Ball was pretty decent for a newbie. I think that once again this is a case of Channel 4 not having thought things through, throwing a vague format at an amateur and saying 'get on with it'. The problem i have with Russell Brand at the moment is not that i dislike him, or his 'Frank Spencer on crack' comedy style, it's that he's falling into the trap of our big brother generation of celebrities, who think they are invincible and should accept all offers.
I'm not sure if Morrissey should cancel to be honest, despite the potential (as one poster put it) for 'car crash tv', it's publicity for the single in front of a different audience. I'm certain that one thing Brand won't do is humiliate his hero; he has said he 'would kill or die for Morrissey'. Morrissey will be aware of this ... give both of them the benefit of the doubt, Moz is cannier than you give him credit for and behind the facade, Brand is just a shy boy in love with a pop star.

I hope you are right. He could wind up looking very silly if he attempts to mock one of his own idols. He simply doesn't have the ability to outwit Morrissey.

I doubt very much if he would want to even try and out wit Morrissey

I didn't see the programme, but I can imagine what it was like. I think if Morrissey does go ahead (and I hope he does), Russell might actually shut up for five minutes and let him speak. I know he can be loud and overexcitable and a bit crap, but I hand on heart do not believe he would cock this one up. He is getting to interview his idol, one of the people who has shaped his entire musical life (if he is anything like me) and I don't think even he will let his ego get in the way of that. I do agree last week does sound like a car crash, but it was also the first week, so maybe he'll be a bit more settled this week. I really want him to do well, not because I'm a massive fan of him, but because I know he is a huge Morrissey fan, and this must be like a dream come true for him, and if it all goes wrong...am I the only person to be haunted by things that you have said whilst trying to impress someone that have actually made you look like the village idiot? Imagine doing it in front of your idol on TV...

I didn't see the programme, but I can imagine what it was like. I think if Morrissey does go ahead (and I hope he does), Russell might actually shut up for five minutes and let him speak. I know he can be loud and overexcitable and a bit crap, but I hand on heart do not believe he would cock this one up. He is getting to interview his idol, one of the people who has shaped his entire musical life (if he is anything like me) and I don't think even he will let his ego get in the way of that. I do agree last week does sound like a car crash, but it was also the first week, so maybe he'll be a bit more settled this week. I really want him to do well, not because I'm a massive fan of him, but because I know he is a huge Morrissey fan, and this must be like a dream come true for him, and if it all goes wrong...am I the only person to be haunted by things that you have said whilst trying to impress someone that have actually made you look like the village idiot? Imagine doing it in front of your idol on TV...

I agree, I think he'll be ok with Morrissey. What we have to remember is that Matt Lucas and David Walliams are really good friends of Russell, they live quite near to each other and everything, and so it's only natural that he was a little free-wheeling with them, especially with it being his first show and all. I've seen him on 1 leicester square with guests such as Richard E. Grant and Graham Norton, and he was well behaved. Trust me, he's calmed down a lot since his DanceFloorChart days!

He might just get star struck and hide under a desk. I think I would!

I cant stand 'the Brand' either. But wouldnt it be great if Moz did go on and Brando did his usual rubbish and then Moz just replied "Please dont buy my records again".

Im in a very spiteful mood today as you can probably tell.

Lol, now THAT would be worth seeing.
:D :D

I don't know why people have such a problem with Russell either, I think he's fantastic and am delighted to see Morrissey appearing on a show with someone who loves and respects him. Morrissey isn't stupid, he will know exactly who Russell Brand is and what he's all about.
I'm not completely convinced he'll be interviewed anyway, as Russell was signing off last week he said ''And next week we'll have Courtney Love and Morrissey performing, what do you think about that?''
So that could mean he'll just be singing, but I'm absolutely sure that if he does agree to an interview Russell will behave.

''And next week we'll have Courtney Love and Morrissey performing, what do you think about that?''

I think that Morrissey will not be performing - as the man himself said "performing is for seals" the last time he was with a semi decent interviewer/show.

[...] I can't see why there is a tide of vitriol sweeping Russell Brand's way [...].

1. he's a talentless gimp

2. haven't you seen his f***in' hair?!

I'm not sure if Morrissey should cancel to be honest, despite the potential (as one poster put it) for 'car crash tv', it's publicity for the single in front of a different audience.

he should cancel, for the reasons i've given above, and the proposed single should not be issued. the song's awful - musically and lyrically - and yet another single, so many months after the release of the album is pathetic and disappointing. instead, he should be putting his feet up, as christmas approaches, and then trying to compose something decent, in the new year.

Last edited:
Don't hold back, say what you really think! :D

(I honestly hope someone tapes this for the non-uk fans!)

I have tickets. It's filming friday afternoon, so I'll be having that off work.
Courtney and Morrissey are my biggest male and female icons.
I am very, very excited.

The Goat, Ojspicer, lightupvirginmary, their friends and myself are going!
We'll have alot of fun on Friday!

wolve, don't worry someone will post it to youtube.;)

I can't believe some of you are actually going to BE there to see Morrissey on Russell Brand.
For an Australian living in the arse-end of the world, the idea is unfathomable.
You're very, very lucky!
I expect a full report on my desk, first thing. :)

Look out for me (if you want) View attachment 1131

Others should post their pics too, I'll probably recognise you from the moz nights if you're london dwellers.

Courtney and Morrissey are my biggest male and female icons.
Same here. Only that I'm out of the country and not going.:(
But at least I managed to go to Jonathan Ross.

Make sure you document every second of their interaction if any!

P.S. You look somewhat familiar. Could I see you at the book signing on friday?

Back
Top Bottom