Moz on George Best

stupid_thread.jpg

Sorry to say.

[Fgeorge best was a f***in legend as is morrissey and frank sidebottom, so to all of those on here slagging him off a big big hearty f*** you,,,,,,ONT="Arial Narrow"]:mad: [/FONT]

[Fgeorge best was a f***in legend as is morrissey and frank sidebottom, so to all of those on here slagging him off a big big hearty f*** you,,,,,,ONT="Arial Narrow"]:mad: [/FONT]

..... I'm trying to make sense of your post. Is it written in Yiddish?

He was one of the biggest whores of the sixties. But this is yet another double standard. A woman sleeps with 20 men and she is called a slut, a man sleeps with 200 and he is called a 'lad'. It's not on. It may not be a 'sin', but it's far from desirable behaviour, to a lot of people. He's not a mere drunk, either - he's a man who laughed in the face of two liver transplants. This makes him ungrateful, wasteful and selfish, causing pain and worry to those who (mystifyingly) cared about him.

For every time he behaved like a slut a woman had to behave like a slut too. He is not responsible for society's double standards.

Some Morrissey fans can be such prigs. This thread and all the other preaching ones are proof of that. Try to be a bit more understanding of other people's not so perfect behaviour.

Is this deliberate attempt at fishing or do you actually have an agenda?

Obviously you have to be a football fan to appreciate George Best's good qualities and I personally don't care what he did off the field. He was a genius at what he did. End of.

Here endeth the thread.

For every time he behaved like a slut a woman had to behave like a slut too. He is not responsible for society's double standards.

Some Morrissey fans can be such prigs. This thread and all the other preaching ones are proof of that. Try to be a bit more understanding of other people's not so perfect behaviour.

The first bit of your argument is wrong, assuming he slept with a different woman every time. How is a woman a slut for sleeping with a man once?

Secondly, no-one has used the word 'prig' since 1957. Even that was in an Enid Blyton novel.

The first bit of your argument is wrong, assuming he slept with a different woman every time. How is a woman a slut for sleeping with a man once?

Secondly, no-one has used the word 'prig' since 1957. Even that was in an Enid Blyton novel.

It's the only word that's fitting. Some of the attitudes displayed here seem to come from the 1950's.

If I remember correctly, weren't the fights between George and his last wife reciprocal (i.e they both gave each other a good doing)? And if not, why are we always the victims? I'll never understand why women lie down and take the beatings, I mean does nothing snap inside them and make them think "How dare you!". Why don't they pick up something and smash his head in? Yes, men are stronger, but for f***s sake they're not indestructable robots. I'm sorry to go on, but it annoys me that we're never told to stick up for ourselves. If we're being beaten, we're told to seek refuge (and remain in fear forever), or if we've been raped, we're told to go to the police (and of course, he never gets caught). I remember reading about four women in New York who had been raped by the same man. They met each other through the police investigation. The man got away with it of course, so they decided to get together, find the guy, and they chopped his knob off (among other things). So f*** women's aid and moaning about being victimised - have some dignity, for christs' sake!

This post is incredibly naive. I think it's something like 3 women a week are killed by their partners. Why didn't they just stand up and fight? Because they were frightened? Because he was stronger? Because they were living in abject poverty and could see no way out? Because they (and here's the old Jeremy Kyle cliche) LOVED him? Yes it's terribly sad, but to say 'why didn't they just fight back' is ridiculous. It's not that easy. The fact you are a woman posting this is even more shocking. You are blaming women for men's violence. Think about it.

"It doesn't stop him from being a footballer, it doesn't even stop him from being an excellent footballer, but it does stop him from being a hero. To idolise someone who did so many atrocious things is just plain wrong, which ever way you try and look at it."

"I wonder how many people would turn away from moz if we discovered something similar about him. And if we did we'd hardly write him off and say well all those great songs,and performances, and all those people he inspired meant nothing because he's a bastard."

Why do we idolise anybody?
Because they live out our dreams, or provide some comfort or happiness otherwise absent in our lives? Because they inspire us?

Everyone tries to hide their faults to some extent.
No-one is perfect. But it's easier to close our eyes to the faults of those we want to idolise because to see them as they are, rather than as we want them can be very difficult.

Why? Because we expect far more of them than an ordinary person can deliver in order to sustain the illusion that it is right to give up our adoration to them. It isn't. Accept it. Best was capable at times of behaving horribly. Morrissey is a flawed human being and almost inevitably you will find out something that disagrees with the values you happen to live by.

Don't give up your independence of thought and values for any of them.
Accept the good things they have done, enjoy good memories, but having idols....is it worth it in the end?

Also, to you, it is not priggish to depise wife beaters, or to look down on people who waste the chance of a new life. It is quite normal, I would have thought.

Try and put a bit more intelligence and thought into things and you won't come off like an ignoramus.

Also, to you, it is not priggish to depise wife beaters, or to look down on people who waste the chance of a new life. It is quite normal, I would have thought.

Try and put a bit more intelligence and thought into things and you won't come off like an ignoramus.

I'm not the one who's totally ignorant about George Best other than what you read in the tabloids in the last two years. I'm not the one who hasn't even bothered to find out what George Best meant to people in the sixties. How about putting a bit of thought into that?

I'm not the one who's totally ignorant about George Best other than what you read in the tabloids in the last two years. I'm not the one who hasn't even bothered to find out what George Best meant to people in the sixties. How about putting a bit of thought into that?

Why not give a bit of thought to what Gary Glitter meant to people in the sixties if that's your logic? Or is wife beating more acceptable than kiddy fiddling? Oh, of course it is.

Why not give a bit of thought to what Gary Glitter meant to people in the sixties if that's your logic? Or is wife beating more acceptable than kiddy fiddling? Oh, of course it is.

Gary Glitter, sixties??

Was Gary Glitter ever a legend?

I think you need to get your facts right and stop trying to compare Gary Glitter with Britains greatest ever footballer!!

I can see where people are coming from with the whole off the pitch lifestyle, George make a lot of mistakes in his life, but we all do. We all do things and say things we regret later. He's not the only person to ever hit a woman, become an alcoholic and waste his life as well as affecting the people around him. I'm not condoning what he's done, but what people have to realise is that children, youngsters and teenagers not to mention adults of Manchester, who supported Manchester United grew up idolising George Best's football ability and commitment to Manchester United, they didn't idolise George because he was some sort of playboy, do you think Morrissey would of idolised George Best for his off the pitch lifestyle? Morrissey was a young chap when George Best helped Manchester United win their first major European trophy. This was England's first European triumph in Europe, and George Best was the face of this remarkable achievement and its triumphs like this that made George Best one of the most prominent faces of English football and Manchester, so it's hardly surprising a young person like Morrissey grew up in awe of George Best.

In my earlier post I made the point that George Best was a cultural icon in the football world and this is very true so if Morrissey referred George Best to being a cultural icon, he would be spot on. Best's life of riley changed people's view point on the football lifestyle.

This debate is becoming a bit tiresome; you'll find people who idolise all kinds of different people. I happen to be deeply interested in the Kray twins, not because I like what they did, but because they changed the way the world saw mobsters, hence why films like Goodfellers and Godfather look so glamorous. The Krays were made International celebrities for ridding East London of Criminals, drug dealers and rival gangs.

Back
Top Bottom