Moz night this Thurs at Overdraught, Manchester

Ah, yes your beloved Unions.....

Why anyone would want to join a Union anyway is beyond me. Clearly some people don't value their own person freedoms and trust their own judgement and are happy to be lead by those who claim to know better.

This may surprise you but in 28 years of working (and sometimes not working!) I have never joined a union for reasons you mention, I can fend for myself and make my own decisions. At one place I worked I didnt get a pay rise as it was a union negotiated payrise. Didn't bother me at all - my colleagues couldnt work it out that when their union fees were taken off them, they had more or less the same as me!
However, I have only ever worked for small companies and I am all for everyone having the opportunity to join a union... one place even asked me to be shop steward ha ha ha.

Apologies for the many posts on this thread that started off as a request (a not unreasonable request) that three members of this messageboard pay to get in to a Smiths and Morrissey night rather than rush the door and jib their way in. I then went on to save the world. I'm not sure it is worth saving...:p

Jukebox Jury Back From His Night Out At Dry Bar Where Mike Joyce Was DJ-ing

This may surprise you but in 28 years of working (and sometimes not working!) I have never joined a union for reasons you mention, I can fend for myself and make my own decisions. At one place I worked I didnt get a pay rise as it was a union negotiated payrise. Didn't bother me at all - my colleagues couldnt work it out that when their union fees were taken off them, they had more or less the same as me!
However, I have only ever worked for small companies and I am all for everyone having the opportunity to join a union... one place even asked me to be shop steward ha ha ha.

Apologies for the many posts on this thread that started off as a request (a not unreasonable request) that three members of this messageboard pay to get in to a Smiths and Morrissey night rather than rush the door and jib their way in. I then went on to save the world. I'm not sure it is worth saving...:p

Jukebox Jury Back From His Night Out At Dry Bar Where Mike Joyce Was DJ-ing

bloody anarchists eh! tsk! if the 3rd world workers had unions blah blah blah.

love

Grim

So, anyway, with regard to this night then, what is it like in the overdraft then? Never been in as it's always looked a scally/townie haunt.

Are there any quiet bits in there, i.e. where you can hold a decent conversation without having to shout into someone's ear over the sound of the [delectable] music?

Definitely, it's a big place and you can talk wherever you are, the music's not too loud you can't hear anything. Paul doesn't mention the best bit of it when promoting it...it's really cheap! I heard it was expensive but got there and it was nuff dolla cheap, £2 for a double and really cheap cocktails.

Phil,

are you suggesting, as it appears to be, that:

Micro Capitalism- good

and

Macro Capitalism- bad

?

I am confused.

the peak membership of Union membership, as I'm sure you know, was 8 million in 1920. :D

Current UK trade union membership figures stand at just under 7 milliion, from a national workforce of about 23.5 million. At our peak we had over 13 million members in the movement, but this was a time of full employment and a sound manufacturing base.

I was only looking at the figures this afternoon! I didn't think I would be calling on them so soon?

Well, well, well... I'm appauling that such insults are allowed on this forum. If you are not banned within 24 hours I will complaining to the authorities!!

Phil,

are you suggesting, as it appears to be, that:

Micro Capitalism- good

and

Macro Capitalism- bad

?

I am confused.

Liam
Not half as confused as I am:confused:
Explain to me Micro and Macro and then I may respond to you if I can be arsed.:p

Jukebox Jury
If you aint on the guest list, it's £3 to get in.

I'm going to give this Overdraught a try. Tried the S&G night, and thought it was a bit too small and sweaty, but still fun. Plus, from the few conversations I've had with Paul, he's a cool guy. Most of thi web site disagree apparantly, not that I know why.

I drank too much and I said too much..... bet nobody's even written that in reference to a moz night before:p

You should, I had a great time last time apart from I drank too much before I got there so I was feeling a bit worse for wear and found it hard to hold a conversation at first! I won't do that this time seen as though I know how cheap the drinks are. I stopped drinking at about 11.30 last time, I even resorted to drinking a j20 at one point (that Lizzy bought me but I refused to walk around with it so put it in a glass with a shot of vodka).

It's alot bigger at Overdraught and it wasn't sweaty at all. The dance floor is smaller and so it's less centered around that and it's more somewhere you sit down, but that's ok cos i get tired easily.

Mike - just like your theories and policies.....:p

Brel - BIG drink for you when ever we meet! Thanks for the stats:):)

Jukebox Jury
If you aint on the guest list, it's £3 to get in.

maybe instead of a drink you could let Brel in for free? ;)

love

Grim

Yes. Im normally very chatty. I can remember you asking me what my favourite Morrissey solo song was or something and I was finding it really hard to think and come out with an answer and was just like "I can't deal with this right now"

Yes. Im normally very chatty. I can remember you asking me what my favourite Morrissey solo song was or something and I was finding it really hard to think and come out with an answer and was just like "I can't deal with this right now"

You can remember me asking you that?
I can't remember me asking you that! :eek:

Jukebox Jury

So it's a week today then?

I'll be in town that day so to finish off with a few drinks and some good music would be a fine thing.

My friend will probably be with me, and she has asked me to mention that her name isn't Gertrude. I don't know why.

Where is Overdraught?

Back
Top Bottom