Moz night this Thurs at Overdraught, Manchester

A) No they are not oxymorons. But you are:D

The last alcove of the defeated: petty insults.

B) If Paul made a fortune out of Maladjusted, enforced a law that only he could run Smiths nights in Manchester, then charged £40 to get in hence adding to his fortune then I will be first in the queue to stab him in the back. That would be justified. But as he will not be able to force such a law and free comptetion in place, Paul will hopefully just tick along nicely for putting on a night once a month. Assuming everyone pays to get in that is.

I'm sure Paul appreciates what a loyal friend you are. If he decided to charge £40, but enough people were willing to pay, then what would the problem be? If no one was willing to pay he'd either have to go back to £3 or stop doing it. If that happened I'm sure you'd just start your own disco somewhere. Why the need to stab him in the back for him being successful, apart from simple jealously?

C) Good at what they do - ie exploiting a cheap and demorilised 3rd world workforce, paying a pittance under poor working conditions, no rights or health care, under cutting smaller business', putting local business' out of trading, creating monopolys. Not sure how / why you put Morrissey into the comment.

Yes, making items that people want at prices people can afford to pay is simply terrible and should be aganist the law... And I'd like to know why you'd rather those people in the 3rd world have no job at all rather than at least a relativley lowly paid one?

My last word on the subject - What if everyone took your attitude? There would be no more Maladjusted. So come along with the aim of paying to get in or stay away. Simple as that. I could have just bluntly told you to 'f*** off', but that would be far to impolite for a doorman.:cool:
As mentioned, it would be helpful if you brought the correct change with you - no smart arse bags of 1p coins either. One pound or two pound coins will be fine. See you there.:)

Jukebox Jury's Final Verdict.

We'll see, Phill, we'll see.

Let it known that the money I saved by not paying at the door was delightfully spent on Apple and Raspberry J20s. And will be again.

The last alcove of the defeated: petty insults.

OK, seeing as it has been Liam I've been responding to and said that was my last word, here is my last word to you!!
It wasn't a petty insult, it was a joke, hence the :D, if I wanted to insult I would!

I'm sure Paul appreciates what a loyal friend you are. If he decided to charge £40, but enough people were willing to pay, then what would the problem be? If no one was willing to pay he'd either have to go back to £3 or stop doing it. If that happened I'm sure you'd just start your own disco somewhere. Why the need to stab him in the back for him being successful, apart from simple jealously?

You missed my point out about if Paul got a law passed that stated his could be the only Smiths night in town and then he charges £40. Then there is something wrong with that. It's a bit like Man United putting up the prices because they know for every 2 fans leaving there are 6 waiting. Legally within the law, but morally bankrupt. If Paul simply charged £40 then he is welcome to it and yes someone else would start one up and I'd have no need for the preverbial stab in the back.
Yes, making items that people want at prices people can afford to pay is simply terrible and should be aganist the law... And I'd like to know why you'd rather those people in the 3rd world have no job at all rather than at least a relativley lowly paid one?

The point is we have the power to change that, as consumers we can change that. If everyone bought free range eggs there would not be any more battery hens. If we all buy goods that have fair trade then the sweatshop owners will change their style and introduce fair trade and accept their profits of billions will be cut slightly but still will be billions. How many billions do they need? Then those poorly paid workers will be paid more - not a lot, but more. They will always have jobs as we in the west always have to consume, so rather than 'feel good for yourself' for keeping someone in a sweatshop by buying cheap goods, you will be doing them more of a favour by not buying those cheap goods as pretty soon their employees will change their methods.
It may cost a little bit more on your shopping bill each week but that is a price im prepared to pay.
Ethics not pro£££it$. There is enough for everyone to go round.

Jukebox Jury On His Final Verdict. No Really:D

Let it known that the money I saved by not paying at the door was delightfully spent on Apple and Raspberry J20s. And will be again.

The anarchist revolution - as inspired by noted author P Gatenby - has begun!

Returning to an earlier point, the claim that only 3 people were let in for free has been confirmed as A LIE~! by a source very close to the promoter of the night. Sounds to me like a certain unlicenced doorman is very bad at his job... :D

My first and final word to Ben.

Well enjoy your 'free' drink next week in which ever establishment it will be in. One thing is for sure, it wont be in Overdraught.:cool:

Jukebox Jury

The point is we have the power to change that, as consumers we can change that. If everyone bought free range eggs there would not be any more battery hens. If we all buy goods that have fair trade then the sweatshop owners will change their style and introduce fair trade and accept their profits of billions will be cut slightly but still will be billions. How many billions do they need? Then those poorly paid workers will be paid more - not a lot, but more. They will always have jobs as we in the west always have to consume, so rather than 'feel good for yourself' for keeping someone in a sweatshop by buying cheap goods, you will be doing them more of a favour by not buying those cheap goods as pretty soon their employees will change their methods.
It may cost a little bit more on your shopping bill each week but that is a price im prepared to pay.
Ethics not pro£££it$. There is enough for everyone to go round.

If that's what you believe then that's what you should do, Phil. However, I find it very difficult to believe that you check every single good you buy to ensure it was made by small family run business in New Moston.

However, by 'change their methods' I presume you are aware that what they'd actually do is close the factory and leave everyone out of work, or lower the wages to keep profit margins up? The huge increase in working conditions in the UK over the later part of the 19th and throughout the 20th century was not due to people boycotting firms, but instead buying from firms which increased profit margins and enabled more money to spend on wages and improving conditions. The idea of making a company spend more more by cutting its income I do not think is realistic.

three Morrissey fans refused to pay on the night.
Jukebox Jury

the claim that only 3 people were let in for free has been confirmed as A LIE~! by a source very close to the promoter of the night. Sounds to me like a certain unlicenced doorman is very bad at his job... :D

Tory proaganda. See above 2 quotes - now who is telling miss truths?
I said three refused to pay, I did not say only three got in for free. There is a difference.

Jukebox Jury Defending His Corner Well.

I find it very difficult to believe that you check every single good you buy to ensure it was made by small family run business in New Moston.

The huge increase in working conditions in the UK over the later part of the 19th and throughout the 20th century was not due to people boycotting firms, but instead buying from firms which increased profit margins and enabled more money to spend on wages and improving conditions.

I shop in Unicorn, an ethical supermarket in Chorlton or eighth day on Oxford Rd, and a bottle of wine from my local Co-op with a fair trade logo on it. It's quite easy to shop - do they have to be produced in New Moston?

A huge increase in working conditions were also to do a hell of a lot with the rise in trade unionism and workers rights.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I shop in Unicorn, an ethical supermarket in Chorlton or eighth day on Oxford Rd, and a bottle of wine from my local Co-op with a fair trade logo on it. It's quite easy to shop - do they have to be produced in New Moston?

A huge increase in working conditions were also to do a hell of a lot with the rise in trade unionism and workers rights.

Jukebox Jury

I presume you don't ever buy any clothes Phill? Or CDs? Or have a computer. And I guess that jukebox of yours you made by hand in the garden? ;)

Ah, yes your beloved Unions that have tried to destroy this country on numerous occasions and have shown a totally contempt for democraticaly elected government and in fact a disregard for democracy within itself. But that aside, the peak membership of Union membership, as I'm sure you know, was 8 million in 1920. And, again as I'm sure you know, in 1920 Britain had a booming economy with real wages at a high relative level and the rich were being taxed 33% their income rather than the pre-war level of 8% and during the between war years the public services that there were could all be afforded on just the taxes taken from the rich! And it during that period, the best the 'working class' had ever had it up to that point that saw more people join Unions than any time before or since. This shows that people were not joining Unions when times were bad to force through reforms, but rather were joining when times were good... remember it's quite difficult to join a Union unless you're, y'know, employed somewhere.

Having said that though Unions have a strange habit of keeping people unemployed! Why anyone would want to do this I don't know, but those who are likely to be disadvantaged most from unionisation are the unemployed workers who are unable to get the job they want in a particular line of work because the Unions monopolise the labour force! And for inexperienced unemployed workers they can't even try and negotiate a lower salery with the employer to make it worth them being brought in as the Union sets a fixed wage across the board (as I'll return to later). And, as you said earlier Phill, you believe monopolise are bad, right?

What was helping the workers at this time was not new laws introduced by the Government due to Union pressure, but rather the absense of them. Freed from the restraints put on them during the Great War prices for goods rose twice as fast in 1919 as they had done the worst years of the war. Wages soared after them, and the employers, flush with money, did not resist wage increases.

Why anyone would want to join a Union anyway is beyond me. Clearly some people don't value their own person freedoms and trust their own judgement and are happy to be lead by those who claim to know better. All Unions do is prevent workers from negotiating their own pay, making them settle for "lowest common denominator" wages which represent the minimal value of a worker of their sector of the workforce. Not to mention things like if a worker does not need his employer's health insurance and wants be paid more in return, the worker has no choice.

Anyway, as tempted as I am to start quoting Milton Friedman I'll leave it at that :D

mspendl828 Still Not Paying.

that's a great anti-poll tax slogan Mike! Trouble is whilst it's ok to bring down a nasty piece of work like the much hated 'milk snatcher' Thatcher, I thought Paul was a mate?

love

Grim

It's a shame Grim, but needs must ;)

Actually, while I'm online, can I just say how much I love all-seater stadiums? They're awesome.

It's a shame Grim, but needs must ;)

Actually, while I'm online, can I just say how much I love all-seater stadiums? They're awesome.

Could you not seek an 'Overdraught' if that's not a shameless venue plug?

I understand what you say about all seaters, but surely you support safe standing as long as it's not upsetting anyone? I think you are the type who throws popcorn from the darkest cinema seats on unsuspecting students & other not full price paying patrons, am I correct?

love

Grim
P.s. Aziza was that not the name of a band with certain ex-Smiths in it?

I was just trying to bring a positive vibe to your thread Aziza, as Mike and The Author were lowering the tone to a despondant level that i couldn't even reach! :p

Back
Top Bottom