Moz Manchester Apollo,15th Dec 1992

J

Johnny

Did anyone who visits this site attend the above gig ?

I am interested in finding out who was in the band that night.Moz was there and Alain.Not sure who was on bass but it would have been Johnny Bridgwood or Gary Day.

I was told from a normally reliable source that Boz Boorer did not play that gig and that Moz instead used a 2nd guitarist who was a female.

I have to admit that I was a bit "unwell" in 1992 but I am sure this is something that would have registered despite the fog

I know Martin Boorer played a gig dressed in drag a few years back on Valentine's Day so I am not getting it confused with this.

The second piece of unknown information I was given was that Moz actually submitted a book on feminism to numerous publishers not long after The Smiths formed and it was rejected.

The book had the working title of," When will Little Miss Muffit strike back"?

Boz played the gig. It was his birthday and he wore a dress for the duration. From memory Gary played also. It was not the best night of the tour and Morrissey seemed unimpressed by the crowds reaction to him (or lack of). I have always put his Manchester gig absence down to this gig.

I was there! And it seemed great to me. Boz looked, er, strangely convincing in his red wig. It was the usual Your Arsenal tour line-up.

> Boz played the gig. It was his birthday and he wore a dress for the
> duration. From memory Gary played also. It was not the best night of the
> tour and Morrissey seemed unimpressed by the crowds reaction to him (or
> lack of). I have always put his Manchester gig absence down to this gig.

Hello Johnny,
I was in Row U, the very back row of the balcony, for that gig, but yes, Boz did play, and he played in drag (flaming red wig, tight sequined knee-length dress - not too shabby actually). I'm pretty certain Gary Day was on bass, and the only other thing I can recall of that hastily arranged show was that it was a rather bad one. In fact, I seem to recal that Moz walked off early. He was getting heckled fairly severely in true hardcore Manc fashion from a gaggle of eejits in the stalls, and eventually Moz had enough and pissed off, remarking how nice it was to be back home, etc. Not exactly a surprise in those days though. Audience atmosphere in general was pretty strange and tense and I got the feeling Moz felt it.
The memory of that 92 gig had made me just a tad wary of all the hype surrounding the latest homecoming at MEN Arena, but nothing illustrated how things have changed so much than the difference between those 2 gigs. An unforgettable night with 18,000 people expressing devotion for a man at the top of his game, artistically and personally.
As for Miss Muffit, I know nothing,
Cheers,
joe

> Hello Johnny,
> I was in Row U, the very back row of the balcony, for that gig, but yes,
> Boz did play, and he played in drag (flaming red wig, tight sequined
> knee-length dress - not too shabby actually). I'm pretty certain Gary Day
> was on bass, and the only other thing I can recall of that hastily
> arranged show was that it was a rather bad one. In fact, I seem to recal
> that Moz walked off early. He was getting heckled fairly severely in true
> hardcore Manc fashion from a gaggle of eejits in the stalls, and
> eventually Moz had enough and pissed off, remarking how nice it was to be
> back home, etc. Not exactly a surprise in those days though. Audience
> atmosphere in general was pretty strange and tense and I got the feeling
> Moz felt it.
> The memory of that 92 gig had made me just a tad wary of all the hype
> surrounding the latest homecoming at MEN Arena, but nothing illustrated
> how things have changed so much than the difference between those 2 gigs.
> An unforgettable night with 18,000 people expressing devotion for a man at
> the top of his game, artistically and personally.
> As for Miss Muffit, I know nothing,
> Cheers,
> joe

Thanks Joe and the other guys for clearing that up.

I also have the first three Chapter Titles for Miss Muffit but it could be a hoax.

That's funny... he was wearing a red wig and a dress when I saw them on Halloween is san Diego 92. Very HOT!

> I was there! And it seemed great to me. Boz looked, er, strangely
> convincing in his red wig. It was the usual Your Arsenal tour line-up.

Re: but Boz's birthday is 19th May I think

so he must have dad some other reason for wearing a dress (did he really?). Any excuse! I think he wore a dress on a Halloween once. Very Fenella Fielding

> Boz played the gig. It was his birthday and he wore a dress for the
> duration. From memory Gary played also. It was not the best night of the
> tour and Morrissey seemed unimpressed by the crowds reaction to him (or
> lack of). I have always put his Manchester gig absence down to this gig.

images

Re: Boz's birthday is indeed in May , though I don't know the exact date..

..he played a wee birthday gig for his 40th. in a north london boozer in May 2002.