Moz loves Young The Giant - TrueToYou update

YOUNG THE GIANT - true-to-you.net

Having suffered with relish so much yes-but-no new music, I could break down with happiness at the new - debut - CD by Young The Giant. I will be kneeling with gratitude on a hardwood floor for many years to come. It is the whole thing ... it is the perfect tone ... and Sameer's voice is unbreakable.
If there is any justice in the world (and we all know there isn't) Young The Giant will own most of it by August. It's so easy to fire out remnants of snobbery where new music is concerned (in fact, I find it VERY easy), but once every three thousand years, a band comes along who restore that precious component of faith. Had I the gift of adequate words I would express more than mere thanks.
Instead, I shall leave it at that.

Morrissey / 1 June 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you stupid enough to believe that pop music can be "dangerous"? Dangerous to what? To whom? Do you think that Morrissey is "dangerous"? Are you actually that stupid?

I am stupid enough to think there should be some originality in a band in order to take them seriously and I am dramatic enough to use the word "dangerous". The trouble is there WAS once a time when music was dangerous in the most important way- It changed peoples minds. The Smiths were the last of that gang (I would say). They spoke for some of us who lived a certain life and introduced that life to others. To those under 30, with the spilling of years and moribund state that music and pop culture (in general) is in, its very hard to see the impact Morrissey and The Smiths had. Granted he was never a Bowie figure (But who is? well,...Bowie they scream) but he has made enough impact and affected enough peoples hearts and minds in order to be called dangerous- in the manner I used it.

When it comes to bands and what not, you can tell the ones he is helping and the ones he loves- if you know where to look- the bands Moz Usually loves are usually rather good.

Suede- he obviously loves, which is why he covered their song, got bitchy with them, asked Butler to support him on his tour and has nicked their sound on a couple of songs- Ganglord being the most recent (sounds like filmstar).

Kristeen Young- Not only has he got her back on the tour BUT he used to make a point of watching her set and she has sang on two of his songs, as well as being in a photo (hardly anyone has been treated as well as her...as far as I can remember).

In contrast, Girl in Korma and Troll and The Dicks are SIMPLY rent a support as were a host of others. Dolls were under the management of his mate and the Kormas named themselves after his songs- he likes to help former fans.

Now I am not really having a go at the Dolls and Girl BUT they are both average in every way its possible for a band to be. Doll for instance is a pretty thing BUT has nothing to say and is the type who reads heat mag...The Spice Girls are more punk than she.

I am stupid enough to think there should be some originality in a band in order to take them seriously and I am dramatic enough to use the word "dangerous". The trouble is there WAS once a time when music was dangerous in the most important way- It changed peoples minds. The Smiths were the last of that gang (I would say). They spoke for some of us who lived a certain life and introduced that life to others. To those under 30, with the spilling of years and moribund state that music and pop culture (in general) is in, its very hard to see the impact Morrissey and The Smiths had. Granted he was never a Bowie figure (But who is? well,...Bowie they scream) but he has made enough impact and affected enough peoples hearts and minds in order to be called dangerous- in the manner I used it.

He "affected people's hearts and minds"? Yes, his song lyrics moved people emotionally and - at a push - perhaps prompted some of them to look at things in a way that defies the constraints of their parents' world view. That, however, doesn't really constitute "dangerous". In fact, it doesn't even come close to being dangerous. Nobody and nothing is threatened by Morrissey. His impact on wider society has been negligible and his public pronouncements, in print and in song, appear so pointedly, crudely and simplistically "anti-establishment" that - even if he did have something GENUINELY threatening to say - his ignorance makes him seem like a bit of a joke.

I watched three YouTube clips with those guys. One word: boring.

Watched some Youtube clips. He's certainly got a strong voice. Music is good.
For me, it's missing what Noel Gallagher well-articulated as something bordering on ridiculous that many great bands have.

In any case, if Young the Giant happens to read Morrissey's missive I'm sure they'll be very pleased...

Morrissey has turned me on to some really great bands in the past - one of my favorites being Echobelly. I will definitely check this band out! Morrissey rarely praises a band these days to such extremes, so I know they must be pretty awesome.

You will be disappointed and confused.

When it comes to bands and what not, you can tell the ones he is helping and the ones he loves- if you know where to look- the bands Moz Usually loves are usually rather good.

Suede- he obviously loves, which is why he covered their song, got bitchy with them, asked Butler to support him on his tour and has nicked their sound on a couple of songs- Ganglord being the most recent (sounds like filmstar).

Kristeen Young- Not only has he got her back on the tour BUT he used to make a point of watching her set and she has sang on two of his songs, as well as being in a photo (hardly anyone has been treated as well as her...as far as I can remember).

In contrast, Girl in Korma and Troll and The Dicks are SIMPLY rent a support as were a host of others. Dolls were under the management of his mate and the Kormas named themselves after his songs- he likes to help former fans.

Now I am not really having a go at the Dolls and Girl BUT they are both average in every way its possible for a band to be. Doll for instance is a pretty thing BUT has nothing to say and is the type who reads heat mag...The Spice Girls are more punk than she.

anyone ever thinks about Phrank

1991 tour

"I'm a Jewish Lesbian singer"

Gallon Drunk [1992]

the far out weird band was Dusseldorf 1992

some woman band, tried to be the Pogues, but
from the first song they got trashed, thumbs down
at one moment a women of the band
turned her back and raised her skirt

Sack 1999/2000

I never really made a big deal out of the support band, , for me it was just
killing time for Morrissey got on stage, as it's gonna be for me last one

The Young The Giant album is very, very good indeed. By and large Morrissey's taste is not mine but I encourage you to check this music out. Currently I love it & heartily recommend it :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom