Moz in Holy Moly mailout

Spicer

Has Forgiven Jesus
Well this just arrived in my email box, it's put quite the negative spin on the story of why Moz likes Rome so much....

Freeloaders Of The World, Unite

Morrissey apparently insisted on recording his last album in Rome. Fair enough, it has superb recording facilities; so the moping Manc took a room in the city's finest five star hotel, despite being offered a luxury flat on the banks of the Tiber.

The singer (now beginning to resemble a down-on-his luck barber in the first stages of alcoholism) arrived in Rome early for his recording stint. Two months early, in fact, all spent running up a huge hotel bill and waiting for the pre-booked studio time to arrive.

Naturally, he felt unable to share a hotel with his band and producer Tony Visconti, who were housed at a somewhat lesser establishment (what a charming man, etc). The rigours of singing for a few hours a day so exhausted the frail Morrissey that he was forced to recuperate for a further two months in his hotel suite, bringing his time in the luxury accommodation to a marvellous seven months. And so, possibly for the first time in history, an album cost more in hotel bills than studio time.

http://www.holymoly.co.uk

I've never heard of this web site before -- how accurate are they? It seems they have a grudge against Mozza anyway; here he is in their C*nts Glossary:

A vapid, predatory bonobo. An age ago, when half the country was still employed in the coal or cotton industries, he sparked a modicum of controversy through his gladioli-abusing ambiguous sexuality. 86 years on and he still thinks that everyone with an iPod still discusses nothing else - is he or isn''t he? Perhaps he feels that by churning out the exact same turgid earshit he''s been forcing on us since Jonny Marr scarpered, that he can somehow freeze time. He can''t. We are talking about a 50 year old man here, that makes Quentin Crisp look like Dave Courtney, yet still believes he''s the definition of a sexual enigma...Don''t make me listen to any more of his repellent yodelling, please. No more. Far from celibate c*nt.

I'm no fan of the Holy Moly stuff - like the Metro newspaper, it's written by people who think they're clever and/or funny, but clearly aren't.

Wow. What to say? I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but this just seems like a vicious personal attack! They can kiss my Kok! Arseholes!

Spicer - Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet has just come on the radio and your milk carton is dancing in perfect time to it.
EDIT: Sanctuary criminally underspent on advertising for Morrissey's album and singles so I hope he ran up a huuuuuuge bill to compensate.

Last edited:
Sarah, that's too funny about the icon! Cheers...

Needless to say I wouldn't take anything they write as 100% legit, i think the site is just meant to be a bit of mindless fun for people who work in drab offices (that's my excuse for visiting). There have been apologies in the past, so bearing in mind how litigious Moz is, there might be one about this piece of "news"!

I think that they are negative about so many celebs because it rakes up a bit of interest in the site = more visitors = more advertising revenue. Just a thought?

The irony is that many of morrissey's detractors blabber on about how he never changes and yet so many fans complain that he's changed too much.

I've never heard of this web site before -- how accurate are they? It seems they have a grudge against Mozza anyway; here he is in their C*nts Glossary:

A vapid, predatory bonobo. An age ago, when half the country was still employed in the coal or cotton industries, he sparked a modicum of controversy through his gladioli-abusing ambiguous sexuality. 86 years on and he still thinks that everyone with an iPod still discusses nothing else - is he or isn''t he? Perhaps he feels that by churning out the exact same turgid earshit he''s been forcing on us since Jonny Marr scarpered, that he can somehow freeze time. He can''t. We are talking about a 50 year old man here, that makes Quentin Crisp look like Dave Courtney, yet still believes he''s the definition of a sexual enigma...Don''t make me listen to any more of his repellent yodelling, please. No more. Far from celibate c*nt.

Actually - if you can detactch yourself emotionally this is quite a funny read!

I like the word Vapid

turgid earshit - brilliant!
repellent yodelling - not exactly new, but a new twist on an old insult.

Yup - laughed all the way throug it. :D

There have been apologies in the past, so bearing in mind how litigious Moz is, there might be one about this piece of "news"!

I would love to read the apology!: "Mr. Morrissey is not and never has been a predatory bonobo monkey. Nor is he more effeminate than Quentin Crisp. We sincerely regret the error."

Oh, you mean about the hotel bit? Nah. I think he's quite proud to take the record company types for all they're worth. A lot of people feel that way about their employers.

:D Good one... gosh I'd encourage Moz to sue just so we could see an apology like that!!!

7 months in a hotel though.. good grief, no matter how lush it was, no matter how good the service was, I don't think I'd be able to live in a hotel for 7 months. The novelty of the little soaps and shampoo bottles would wear off after a few days for me ;)

I very much doubt the record company would have footed the bill for when he wasn't actually recording. They'd be a bit stupid if they did, unless they decided to throw money around like confetti because they knew they were going bust anyway.

As far as Morrissey being litigious, I don't think he is at all. All sorts of rubbish is constantly written about him and it's rare I've heard of him threatening to sue. He'll just ignore it like he did that story they did a couple of weeks ago about how he stopped the South Bank because he didn't want any journalists talking about him.

That's the worst Holy Moly could come up with? I'm shocked. :rolleyes:

Considering the other crap they write it must have been a non-existent gossip day. You'd think they would at least make up something more interesting.

the record company never pays for anything that isn't deducted later.
Holy Moly used to have Morrissey as a Sacred Cow, their list of people that can do no wrong. Looks like the site is made over since I last saw it.

It was always my impression that Moz went to Rome before even writing the majority of Ringleader, and hence was probably living there on his own buck - he spoke a lot at the time about wanting to move there permanently, but being unable to find a house in their crazy real estate market and

Oh, forget it. Jesus, can't people find something more interesting to do than trump up, then publish two-year-old, dubiously sourced gossip about Morrissey maybe not personally putting up his band in a five-star hotel?

(Why would Moz lie about not being able to find a non-hotel spot to live? Are there conceivably more boring things to lie about in the world?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom