Moz GPS - What would it say?

I just got SatNav for my phone - CoPilot Live - for £25 you can't go wrong, and it's far cheaper than stand alone units - clip it to the dashboard and off you go. Anyway, advertisement over - it has, like most SatNavs, the ability to add your own voice, saying various phrases. There's about 30, I think - just get a .WAV file, rename it, put it in the right directory, and there you go. It would be a relatively simple matter to get clips from songs and do exactly this. For what it's worth, I think that every time you get in the car, you should hear a clip from The Headmaster Ritual of Moz saying "I wanna go home".:thumb:

Peter

I just got SatNav for my phone - CoPilot Live - for £25 you can't go wrong, and it's far cheaper than stand alone units - clip it to the dashboard and off you go. Anyway, advertisement over - it has, like most SatNavs, the ability to add your own voice, saying various phrases. There's about 30, I think - just get a .WAV file, rename it, put it in the right directory, and there you go. It would be a relatively simple matter to get clips from songs and do exactly this. For what it's worth, I think that every time you get in the car, you should hear a clip from The Headmaster Ritual of Moz saying "I wanna go home".:thumb:

Peter
This is a great idea, Peter!

Wow, lots of excellent suggestions here :thumb:

I woke up with these ideas :squiffy:

Parallel Parking Fail: *disapprovingly* "The edges are no longer parallel"

On a road filled with potholes: "Be careful when you drive on those old broken stones because they are my feelings."

When the street people clean your windshield: "We've never seen a Keener window-cleaner "

When switching to the multilingual function: "I still cannot speak French"

When a taxi speeds past: "The motion of taxis excites me"

When you're stuck behind a slow moving taxi: "Taxi drivers never stop talking"

Nearing Home: *sigh* "Why is the last mile the hardest mile?"

Beginning your journey: "Take me anywhere, I don't care"

Wow, lots of excellent suggestions here :thumb:

I woke up with these ideas :squiffy:

Parallel Parking Fail: *disapprovingly* "The edges are no longer parallel"

On a road filled with potholes: "Be careful when you drive on those old broken stones because they are my feelings."

When the street people clean your windshield: "We've never seen a Keener window-cleaner "

When switching to the multilingual function: "I still cannot speak French"

When a taxi speeds past: "The motion of taxis excites me"

When you're stuck behind a slow moving taxi: "Taxi drivers never stop talking"

Nearing Home: *sigh* "Why is the last mile the hardest mile?"

Beginning your journey: "Take me anywhere, I don't care"

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

You have a very fecund mind, Julie. Or feck-und.

Upon asking for the route to...
...London:
"Why do you smile when you think about Earls Court?"
...Swedish industry Drags:
"I swear to God, I never even knew what Drags were."
...Brussels:
"Please the press in Belgium!"
...the green zone in Baghdad:
"I forced you into a zone and you were clearly never meant to go."
...International Peace Research Institute in Oslo:
"if you think Peace is a common goal, well, that goes to show just how little you know."
...the music museum:
"I want to go down in celluloid history."
...the Rough Trade office:
"You just haven't earned it yet, baby."
...Morrissey's childhood home in Hulme, Manchester:
"I would rather not go back to the old house."
...the proctologist:
"You are a flatulent pain in the arse."
...the Smiths reunion:
"No no no, you can't go there that way... follow ME!"

After you hit a pedestrian: "We're just keeping the population down"

At the tollbooth: "It's the turnstiles that make us hostile"

When a jerk passes you in a no passing zone: "You must be such a fool to pass me by"

"Veering Cliffwards (thanks Ghost!)....Hold on to your friends!" And then: "Angel, down we go together!"

Last edited:
These are great! I don't know how many times I have literally said, "I wish Morrissey was the voice for the GPS..." I hate listening to annoying voices on there. Not much to choose from!

About creating a custom Morrissey voice file for GPS... I'm considering maybe doing this. Before I do, just wanted to see if anyone else was working on this already?

Using custom recorded voices causes at least some GPSes to no longer say street names (assuming your GPS has this option, that is). I tried out a Tom Tom for its custom voices but was disappointed to figure this out. Believe Magellan added support for custom voices around 2008.

Here are some of the events that can cause a Tom Tom to play a recorded sound... though you can also make sounds play when you pass certain POI place categories, etc.

http://www.capitalnightlife.com.au/tomtom/wp-content/uploads/TomTomVoiceCommands.txt

http://www.capitalnightlife.com.au/tomtom/step-1

Lot of useful quotes in "Driving your Girlfriend Home":

I'm driving your girlfriend home

"turn left", she says

so I turn left

"drive on", she says

so I drive on

I'm parking

Oh, and please don't make fun of daddy's custom voice.

Two more I like:

Papa Jack wants to turn back

Right here, right now (It's Not Your Birthday Anymore)

Last edited:
About creating a custom Morrissey voice file for GPS... I'm considering maybe doing this. Before I do, just wanted to see if anyone else was working on this already?

Using custom recorded voices causes at least some GPSes to no longer say street names (assuming your GPS has this option, that is). I tried out a Tom Tom for its custom voices but was disappointed to figure this out. Believe Magellan added support for custom voices around 2008.

Here are some of the events that can cause a Tom Tom to play a recorded sound... though you can also make sounds play when you pass certain POI place categories, etc.

http://www.capitalnightlife.com.au/tomtom/wp-content/uploads/TomTomVoiceCommands.txt

http://www.capitalnightlife.com.au/tomtom/step-1

Lot of useful quotes in "Driving your Girlfriend Home":

I'm driving your girlfriend home

"turn left", she says

so I turn left

"drive on", she says

so I drive on

I'm parking

Oh, and please don't make fun of daddy's custom voice.

Two more I like:

Papa Jack wants to turn back

Right here, right now (It's Not Your Birthday Anymore)

Really?! OMG, this will make our lives a tad more fun! (Can we stand any extra fun in our lives or are we nearing our limit?)

I'm going to do this for Copilot Live and other mobile device-based systems. Will take time, but I will do it.

Peter

In case it helps, here's what I had so far. Based on the Tom Tom's words, but I assume others would be similar.

# 'AhKeepLeft.ogg' => 'Ahead, keep left' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River) + "turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'AhKeepRight.ogg' => 'Ahead, keep right' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River) + right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth) OR "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'AhLeftTurn.ogg' => 'Left turn ahead' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River) + "turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'AhRightTurn.ogg' => 'Right turn ahead' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River) + right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth) OR "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'BearLeft.ogg' => 'Bear left' = "'turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'BearRight.ogg' => 'Bear right' = "right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth) OR "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'KeepLeft.ogg' => 'Keep left'
# 'KeepRight.ogg' => 'Keep right' = "right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth) OR "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'LnLeft.ogg' => 'Stay in the left lane'
# 'LnRight.ogg' => 'Stay in the right lane' = "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'MwExitLeft.ogg' => 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the left'
# 'MwExitRight.ogg' => 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the right' = "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'RbLeft.ogg' => 'Go left on the roundabout' = "'turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'RbRight.ogg' => 'Go right on the roundabout' = "right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth) OR "Rights" - (Whatever Happens)
# 'SharpLeft.ogg' => 'Sharp left' = "'turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'SharpRight.ogg' => 'Sharp right' = "right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth)
# 'TurnLeft.ogg' => 'Turn left' = "'turn left', she says" OR "so I turn left" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'TurnRight.ogg' => 'Turn Right' = "right here right now" - (Not Your Birthday) OR "bite the right one" - (let the right one in) OR "right to take my place" - (Bigmouth)

# 'AhExit.ogg' => 'Exit ahead' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River)
# 'AhExitLeft.ogg' => 'ahead, Exit left' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River)
# 'AhExitRight.ogg' => 'ahead, Exit right' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River)
# 'AhFerry.ogg' => 'Ferry ahead' = "- It's Just A Fairy Tale" - (Jeane)
# 'TakeFerry.ogg' => 'Take the ferry' = "It's Just A Fairy Tale" - (Jeane)

# 'AhUTurn.ogg' => 'U-turn ahead' = "just around the bend" - (Moon River) + Papa Jack wants to turn back" - (Papa Jack)
# 'UTurn.ogg' => 'Make a U-turn' = "- Papa Jack wants to turn back" - (Papa Jack)
# 'TryUTurn.ogg' => 'Turn around when possible' = "- Papa Jack wants to turn back" - (Papa Jack)

# 'Straight.ogg' => 'Go straight on' = "so I drive on) OR "Drive on, she said" - (driving your girlfriend home) OR "You were going through something" - (I Like You)

# 'Arrive.ogg' => 'You have reached your destination' = "Park the car at the side of the road" - (That Joke) OR "I arrived with incredible style) OR "The end of the line" - (end of the family line) OR "I'm parking" - (driving your girlfriend home)
# 'Depart.ogg' => 'Depart' = "Off to see the world" - (Moon River) OR "leave on your own" - (HSIN) OR "Take me out tonight) OR "Driving in your car" - (There is a light)

# 'RbBack.ogg' => 'Go around the roundabout' = "This way and that way and this way and that way" - (Stretch out and wait)
# 'RbCross.ogg' => 'Cross the roundabout' = "You were going through something" - (I Like You)
# 'RoadEnd.ogg' => 'At the end of the road' = "The end of the line" - (end of the family line)

Last edited:
In case it helps, here's what I had so far. Based on the Tom Tom's words, but I assume others would be similar.

# 'AhKeepLeft.ogg' => 'Ahead, keep left' = just around the bend - Moon River + "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'AhKeepRight.ogg' => 'Ahead, keep right' = just around the bend - Moon River + right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth OR Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'AhLeftTurn.ogg' => 'Left turn ahead' = just around the bend - Moon River + "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'AhRightTurn.ogg' => 'Right turn ahead' = just around the bend - Moon River + right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth OR Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'BearLeft.ogg' => 'Bear left' = "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'BearRight.ogg' => 'Bear right' = right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth OR Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'KeepLeft.ogg' => 'Keep left'
# 'KeepRight.ogg' => 'Keep right' = right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth OR Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'LnLeft.ogg' => 'Stay in the left lane'
# 'LnRight.ogg' => 'Stay in the right lane' = Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'MwExitLeft.ogg' => 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the left'
# 'MwExitRight.ogg' => 'Leave the motorway at the exit on the right' = Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'RbLeft.ogg' => 'Go left on the roundabout' = "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'RbRight.ogg' => 'Go right on the roundabout' = right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth OR Rights - Whatever Happens
# 'SharpLeft.ogg' => 'Sharp left' = "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'SharpRight.ogg' => 'Sharp right' = right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth
# 'TurnLeft.ogg' => 'Turn left' = "turn left", she says OR so I turn left - driving your girlfriend home
# 'TurnRight.ogg' => 'Turn Right' = right here right now - Not Your Birthday OR bite the right one - let the right one in OR right to take my place - Bigmouth

# 'AhExit.ogg' => 'Exit ahead' = just around the bend - Moon River
# 'AhExitLeft.ogg' => 'ahead, Exit left' = just around the bend - Moon River
# 'AhExitRight.ogg' => 'ahead, Exit right' = just around the bend - Moon River
# 'AhFerry.ogg' => 'Ferry ahead' = - It's Just A Fairy Tale - Jeane
# 'TakeFerry.ogg' => 'Take the ferry' = It's Just A Fairy Tale - Jeane

# 'AhUTurn.ogg' => 'U-turn ahead' = just around the bend - Moon River + Papa Jack wants to turn back - Papa Jack
# 'UTurn.ogg' => 'Make a U-turn' = - Papa Jack wants to turn back - Papa Jack
# 'TryUTurn.ogg' => 'Turn around when possible' = - Papa Jack wants to turn back - Papa Jack

# 'Straight.ogg' => 'Go straight on' = so I drive on OR Drive on, she said - driving your girlfriend home OR You were going through something - I Like You

# 'Arrive.ogg' => 'You have reached your destination' = Park the car at the side of the road - That Joke OR I arrived with incredible style OR The end of the line - end of the family line OR I'm parking - driving your girlfriend home
# 'Depart.ogg' => 'Depart' = Off to see the world - Moon River OR leave on your own - HSIN OR Take me out tonight OR Driving in your car - There is a light

# 'RbBack.ogg' => 'Go around the roundabout' = This way and that way and this way and that way - Stretch out and wait
# 'RbCross.ogg' => 'Cross the roundabout' = You were going through something - I Like You
# 'RoadEnd.ogg' => 'At the end of the road' = The end of the line - end of the family line

I'm excited now. This is going to make me want to take a road trip!

I'm excited now. This is going to make me want to take a road trip!

I guess I'll have to do it now.

I wasn't sure. I guess it'll get done by someone.

Back
Top Bottom