Moz at The Pigalle Club: Years of Refusal lyrics scans

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club 'doing promo'

how come there are no photos of the promo? Where were the paps? I just like to keep up to date on Morrissey's pants and stuff :D

I agree, Mozette, I have an image in my mind of Moz standing in front of a load of paps and journalists, flash blubs flashing in his finest Gucci suit for this premiere. Too bad there are no photos.:(

I agree, Mozette, I have an image in my mind of Moz standing in front of a load of paps and journalists, flash blubs flashing in his finest Gucci suit for this premiere. Too bad there are no photos.:(

I picture it more like the video for The Youngest Was The Most Loved (except Alain wasn't in it.)

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club today 'doing promo'

Ta very much, Anin!

I'm sure I'm not the only one very keen to hear the rest of your impressions of Mozzer's to-do at the Pigalle Club. :)

I have a fondness for Pigalle in Paris...the sleaze and Mozzer's connection to it (was found in a bar there earlier this year by fans and chose it as a background for the pix below from a '92 interview)

q922.jpg

q927.jpg

Is it just me or did anyone find the lyrics to "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" disturbing for possibly describing a rape? My emphasis in bold.

Your voice it might say 'no'
But the heart has a will of its own
Your voice it might say 'no'
But the heart has a will of its own

It's not your birthday anymore
There's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
did you really think we meant
all of those syrupy, sentimental things
______that we said?
It cannot be given
and so it must be taken
it cannot be given
and so it must be taken

All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now
giving to you right here right now on the floor

all of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now
giving to you right here right now on the floor

there's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
did you really think we meant
all of those syrupy, sentimental
___things that we said yesterday?

I remember that interview very well .. and sadly a couple of years later i went to paris and went down onto the metro platform at pigalle to have my photo taken next to the station sign with my tongue quite literally in my cheek a la Moz !

I like both albums for very different reasons but if I had to give up one or face the firing squad it would be You Are The Quarry. Years Of Refusal is entirely different though particularly the production. The sound is rougher. For me this is getting close to a perfect Morrissey album. I like the immediacy of it. It's pretty basic rock/pop. Lots of drums. When I say basic I must mean perfect.

You had me right there. :cool: (but I would not 'take one' for Quarry) Thank you for letting us live vicariously thru you! I appreciate a (mostly ;)) unbaised opinion of the new record. Cannot wait to hear it. And your surreal Moz experience makes the hairs on my arm stand up *drool:oswoon*

thanks EP babe & Je Suis Julie - yep, love can be strange

I'm another who agrees with your analysis, justme. So that makes three women... Three married women. hmmmm :D

Yes, please :horny:

One of my favorite pix

Humm, not really. The way I see it it might be about romantic desilusion - a situation where you don't get along anymore and yet you still want each other. You know you shouldn't ( Your voice it might say 'no') but the heart has a will of it's own. A sort of love/hate situation.

I actually know a couple like this. They were once together and are now separated for 5 years - they are still hurt and can't possibly get along , however they still want each other and it still "happens" and it's quite damaging.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply. It seems that most people agree with JustMe's interp.

I would agree that the narrative seems to come from a "romantic delusion" (and as a couple of m-soloists have oh-so-kindly suggested, I am well acquainted with delusion :rolleyes:)...but I think the delusion in this song sounds very one-sided and coming from the aggressor.

As much as I am disturbed by what I read into some of his lyrics, I very much enjoy the frisson of Morrissey's deviance or even what might be called evil. Diverging or even contradictory interpretations can co-exist (and often do) in Morrissey's work. It's what makes it so rich and interesting!

I agree with you, it seems Mozzie is doing strange things here, without the consent of his partner...:eek:It reminds me the lyrics: "I m' gonna get you".
My god, Morrissey, making love savagely on the floor...:horny:How fascinating!:cool:

Oh, here I thought I had a comrade in thought and then you have to go and make it horny! :p But before you got into Moz-rutting-savagely-on-the-floor mode, you alluded to a song that I was thinking of when I thought of "It's Not Your Burfday Anymore" as a look into a rapist's mind -- "Jack the Ripper"! Not that Jack the Ripper was a confirmed rapist, but the elements of sexual sadism and misogyny cannot be lost on those who ponder his brutal murders of prostitutes.

"You don't refuse, but you don't agree" -- maybe she can't agree because she's disembowelled and dead. Or it's hardly true consent if someone is holding a knife to your throat. I get chills as well as the urge to laugh with this lyric. Moz used to joke when prefacing this song live that he himself is privy to Jack the Ripper's thoughts. Hmmm...what are you telling us about yourself, Moz? I have a story about this song done live in 2002, but I'll save it for another time/post.

Another song that goes in a similar sublime vein -- romantic and cruel, attractive and terrifying -- is "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side". Who else but Moz has the charm to pull off such a song? He talks about a "plundering desire for love" (a pretty, poetic way of saying rapist tendencies?) and about "hatred" and "murderous desire" and makes it sound so sympathetic and alluring.

Now I must face it: We are no better than Twilight fans. :p We adore the "vampire" that Moz is. He is this incredibly attractive and misunderstood monster. No matter how much he proclaims his hideous evilness, we love him all the more for it and desperately wish to be his victims er--lovers.

Moz used to joke when prefacing this song live that he himself is privy to Jack the Ripper's thoughts. Hmmm...what are you telling us about yourself, Moz? I have a story about this song done live in 2002, but I'll save it for another time/post.

Oh tell us now ye big tease!:)

Interesting! Thanks for the reply. It seems that most people agree with JustMe's interp.

I would agree that the narrative seems to come from a "romantic delusion" (and as a couple of m-soloists have oh-so-kindly suggested, I am well acquainted with delusion :rolleyes:)...but I think the delusion in this song sounds very one-sided and coming from the aggressor.

As much as I am disturbed by what I read into some of his lyrics, I very much enjoy the frisson of Morrissey's deviance or even what might be called evil. Diverging or even contradictory interpretations can co-exist (and often do) in Morrissey's work. It's what makes it so rich and interesting!

Oh, here I thought I had a comrade in thought and then you have to go and make it horny! :p But before you got into Moz-rutting-savagely-on-the-floor mode, you alluded to a song that I was thinking of when I thought of "It's Not Your Burfday Anymore" as a look into a rapist's mind -- "Jack the Ripper"! Not that Jack the Ripper was a confirmed rapist, but the elements of sexual sadism and misogyny cannot be lost on those who ponder his brutal murders of prostitutes.

"You don't refuse, but you don't agree" -- maybe she can't agree because she's disembowelled and dead. Or it's hardly true consent if someone is holding a knife to your throat. I get chills as well as the urge to laugh with this lyric. Moz used to joke when prefacing this song live that he himself is privy to Jack the Ripper's thoughts. Hmmm...what are you telling us about yourself, Moz? I have a story about this song done live in 2002, but I'll save it for another time/post.

Another song that goes in a similar sublime vein -- romantic and cruel, attractive and terrifying -- is "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side". Who else but Moz has the charm to pull off such a song? He talks about a "plundering desire for love" (a pretty, poetic way of saying rapist tendencies?) and about "hatred" and "murderous desire" and makes it sound so sympathetic and alluring.

Now I must face it: We are no better than Twilight fans. :p We adore the "vampire" that Moz is. He is this incredibly attractive and misunderstood monster. No matter how much he proclaims his hideous evilness, we love him all the more for it and desperately wish to be his victims er--lovers.

Phew.:eek: So it's just me that wants MarshmallowMan then?

Past a certain age, you just get very lovey-dovey...Morrissey and Mel are too young obviously...
but you too would make a nice couple....In a "ouch, that hurt!" way. :p

"The agressor". :gun: Tee heeeeeeeee. Decorating the house with snowdomes... (Ooooh, EVIL!)

Baby jesus says there is no such thing as a love/ hate relationship btw. Apparently either it's called lovelove, or well, it's called Spacemountain.
I'm still not tall enough for the latter so I think I'll just watch.:p (If I get too loud with the popcorn during the rape scene, just hush me Mel, ok?)

(...And have I wished you guys a merry xmas?)

Years Of Refusal - The Lyrics Thread

Has anyone started to transcribe the lyrics to the new songs? Let´s collect them here. I´ll start with some well-known lyrics

All You Need Is Me

You hiss and groan and you constantly moan
But you don't ever go away
That's because
All you need is me

You roll your eyes up to the skies
Mock horrified
But you're still here
All you need is me

There's so much destruction
All over the world
And all you can do is
Complain about me

You bang your head against the wall
And say you're sick of it all
Yet you remain
'Cause all you need is me

And then you offer your one and only joke
And you ask me what will I be
When I grow up to be a man
Uhm, nothing!

There's a soft voice singing in your head
Who could this be?
I do believe it's me

There's a naked man standing, laughing in your dreams
You know who it is
But you don't like what it means

There's so much destruction
All over the world
And all you can do is
Complain about me

I was a small, fat child in a council house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And Fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee

You don't like me, but you love me
Either way you're wrong
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone

That´s How People Grow Up

I was wasting my time
Trying to fall in love
Disappointment came to me and
Booted me and bruised and hurt me

But that's how people grow up
That's how people grow up

I was wasting my time
Looking for love
Someone must look at me
and see there's someone of their dreams

I was wasting my time
Waiting for love
For the love that never comes from
Someone who does not exist

Let me live before I die
Oh, not me, not I

I was wasting my life
Always thinking about myself
Someone on the deathbed said
"There are other sorrows too"

I was driving my car
I crashed and broke my spine
So yes, there are things worse in life than
Never being someone's sweetie

As for me I'm ok
For now anyway

YoR Lyrics

I know the lyrics were leaked back around the time of the album showcase, but did anyone bother typing them up to be copied/pasted etc?
I don't mind doing it myself, but if it's already been done....

I'd like to put them on my iPod, see if they help get me into the music any more.
Some of the lyrics really seem to clash with the musicality of the album. Anyone else find some of the abruptness jarring?

Something Is Squeezing My Skull (the actual lyrics)

"Something Is Squeezing My Skull" (Morrissey, Alain Whyte) – 2:38

I'm doing very well
I can block out the present and the past now
I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out
Thank you drop dead

Oh, something is squeezing my skull
Something I can barely describe
There is no love in modern life

I'm doing very well
It's a miracle I've even made it this far
The motion of taxi's excites me
When you Peel it back and bite me

Something I can barely describe
There is no hope in modern life

Something I can’t fight
No true friends in modern life

Diazepam...Valium...Temazepam...Lithium

HRT..ECT......How long must I stay on this stuff?

Don't give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore

Please don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore

You swore you would not give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore

Please don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore

Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
Don’t give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore

Oh, you swore
You swore
You swore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore
give me anymore

Re: Something Is Squeezing My Skull (the actual lyrics)

Are there any other songs about anti-depressants? Has anyone else written so directly about them? It would be interesting to compare.

Re: Something Is Squeezing My Skull (the actual lyrics)

he handed out lyics when he had the listening party. they have been scanned... i dont have the link but a search should help you

Tags
lyrics
Back
Top Bottom