Moz at The Pigalle Club: Years of Refusal lyrics scans

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club today 'doing promo'

Lyrics are supposed to be heard not read.

I have to agree on that.
I'll wait until I've heard them then. But hey, I did hear a couple, and I'm missing some... geniality? Subtlety, definitely.

Thanks, Anin, for the news!:)
Please, can you tell us more the production? Do the production and Morrissey s' voice sound like YATQ? Is the production like on ROTT? (You think the songs are better than "I want to see the boy happy", for example? I hope so...Did you prefer YATQ, or ROTT? Just to have an idea what I can expect. Thanks.):p

Last edited:

Ta very much, Anin!

I'm sure I'm not the only one very keen to hear the rest of your impressions of Mozzer's to-do at the Pigalle Club. :)

I have a fondness for Pigalle in Paris...the sleaze and Mozzer's connection to it (was found in a bar there earlier this year by fans and chose it as a background for the pix below from a '92 interview)

q922.jpg

q927.jpg

Is it just me or did anyone find the lyrics to "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" disturbing for possibly describing a rape? My emphasis in bold.

Your voice it might say 'no'
But the heart has a will of its own

It's not your birthday anymore
There's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
did you really think we meant
all of those syrupy, sentimental things
______that we said?
It cannot be given
and so it must be taken
it cannot be given
and so it must be taken

All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now
giving to you right here right now on the floor

all of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now

there's no need to be kind to you
all of those syrupy, sentimental
___things that we said yesterday?

No. Not exactly.

I can't do this I'm just so sick.

Ta very much, Anin!

Is it just me or did anyone find the lyrics to "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" disturbing for possibly describing a rape? My emphasis in bold.

______that we said?
It cannot be given
and so it must be taken
it cannot be given
and so it must be taken

Humm, not really. The way I see it it might be about romantic desilusion - a situation where you don't get along anymore and yet you still want each other. You know you shouldn't ( Your voice it might say 'no') but the heart has a will of it's own. A sort of love/hate situation.

I actually know a couple like this. They were once together and are now separated for 5 years - they are still hurt and can't possibly get along , however they still want each other and it still "happens" and it's quite damaging.

It occured to me that the narrative voice in It's not your Birthday Anymore could be that of fans speaking to him. Would that work, to go with AYNIM?

Perhaps when heard with the music we can see the light that never goes out in this batch of lyrics.

Thanks, Anin, for the news!:)
Please, can you tell us more the production? Do the production and Morrissey s' voice sound like YATQ? Is the production like on ROTT? (You think the songs are better than "I want to see the boy happy", for example? I hope so...Did you prefer YATQ, or ROTT? Just to have an idea what I can expect. Thanks.):p

I like both albums for very different reasons but if I had to give up one or face the firing squad it would be You Are The Quarry. Years Of Refusal is entirely different though particularly the production. The sound is rougher. For me this is getting close to a perfect Morrissey album. I like the immediacy of it. It's pretty basic rock/pop. Lots of drums. When I say basic I must mean perfect.

So for 15 minutes Morrissey's sitting just a few metres away. Could I bring myself to say hello? 'A very strange fear gripped me' and I don't think I'll be able to forgive myself. Then some guys from the record company introduce Morrissey, he gets up, gets all shy and the album plays.

I do remember thinking that Skull and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell in particular sounded even rougher (raw) on the album than they have done live. That's a good thing for me.
The trumpet intro to Goodbye Farewell could have stayed but I'm not going to worry too much.

But really it was too difficult to concentrate and recall all the new tracks individually. Especially when Morrissey is sitting across the room while Something Is Squeezing My Skull was playing. Absolutely surreal.

I want to hear it again. NOW.

Humm, not really. The way I see it it might be about romantic desilusion - a situation where you don't get along anymore and yet you still want each other. You know you shouldn't ( Your voice it might say 'no') but the heart has a will of it's own. A sort of love/hate situation.

I agree with you on that one. :) And I'm sure most of us had similar real life experiences.

I do remember thinking that Skull and One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell in particular sounded even rougher (raw) on the album than they have done live. That's a good thing for me.

Oh me too! Rawrrr.
Thanks Anin

Re: It's not your birthday, I read it differently, Mel T.....

I see it as someone asking, gee, would you rather have some flowery insincere Hallmark-approved crap for one day, where the people don't really care anyway ...... or can you handle a real gift, sans BS, here on the floor?

(I know which I'd prefer :p)

I actually know a couple like this. They were once together and are now separated for 5 years - they are still hurt and can't possibly get along , however they still want each other and it still "happens" and it's quite damaging.

I like this interpretation best, Justme!

The trumpet intro to Goodbye Farewell could have stayed but I'm not going to worry too much.

Damn, I really liked the trumpet in this song and when Pooley joined the band with his amazing ability to suck, he really ruined this song in a way by not playing the trumpet ... but I guess thats Moz's decision. Is there any trumpet at all in it/is it just the intro trumpet that is gone?

very jealous of your experience, and I wouldnt blame you for finding it hard to concentrate when the man himself is sitting there in the same room as you!

I like both albums for very different reasons but if I had to give up one or face the firing squad it would be You Are The Quarry. Years Of Refusal is entirely different though particularly the production. The sound is rougher. For me this is getting close to a perfect Morrissey album. I like the immediacy of it. It's pretty basic rock/pop. Lots of drums. When I say basic I must mean perfect.

So for 15 minutes Morrissey's sitting just a few metres away. Could I bring myself to say hello? 'A very strange fear gripped me' and I don't think I'll be able to forgive myself. Then some guys from the record company introduce Morrissey, he gets up, gets all shy and the album plays.

But really it was too difficult to concentrate and recall all the new tracks individually. Especially when Morrissey is sitting across the room while Something Is Squeezing My Skull was playing. Absolutely surreal.

I want to hear it again. NOW.
Thank you very much for your answer!:) The record seems interesting. I hope I will like it better than ROTT; I love energetic drums, I hope I will like them on the album. Wow, you were sitting not far from Morrissey for 15 minutes!:eek:I understand your regret not talking to him, but it must not be very easy to try to talk to a star:eek:, and I think he was probably nervous, so maybe he did not want to talk.:p Or maybe, he would have liked to talk to you, to forget his stress.
Did he stay during all the listening? Did the journalists have someting to eat or drink? How did you manage to be there? Do you know if some interviews took place after hearing the album?
Sorry for all the questions...:cool:

Ta very much, Anin!

I'm sure I'm not the only one very keen to hear the rest of your impressions of Mozzer's to-do at the Pigalle Club. :)

I have a fondness for Pigalle in Paris...the sleaze and Mozzer's connection to it (was found in a bar there earlier this year by fans and chose it as a background for the pix below from a '92 interview)

______that we said?
It cannot be given
and so it must be taken
it cannot be given
and so it must be taken

I agree with you, it seems Mozzie is doing strange things here, without the consent of his partner...:eek:It reminds me the lyrics: "I m' gonna get you".
My god, Morrissey, making love savagely on the floor...:horny:How fascinating!:cool:

Thank you very much for your answer!:) The record seems interesting. I hope I will like it better than ROTT; I love energetic drums, I hope I will like them on the album. Wow, you were sitting not far from Morrissey for 15 minutes!:eek:I understand your regret not talking to him, but it must not be very easy to try to talk to a star:eek:, and I think he was probably nervous, so maybe he did not want to talk.:p Or maybe, he would have liked to talk to you, to forget his stress.
Did he stay during all the listening? Did the journalists have someting to eat or drink? How did you manage to be there? Do you know if some interviews took place after hearing the album?
Sorry for all the questions...:cool:

According to The Guardian reviewer Jude Rodgers they got some food and drink.

According to The Guardian reviewer Jude Rodgers they got some food and drink.
Ah, thank you. I had read the article,but I did not remember.:D
Good, Morrissey.:p

It occured to me that the narrative voice in It's not your Birthday Anymore could be that of fans speaking to him. Would that work, to go with AYNIM?

I thought that too. I imagined Morrissey coming off the stage at the MEN back in 2004 after everyone was so nice to him on his birthday, then logging onto Solo the next day only to read a load of abuse from the trolls and thinking "It's not my birthday anymore". :D

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club 'doing promo'

From the "Uncut" newsletter 15/12/08...

I managed, though, to sneak away from the office for a couple of hours last week when the savage glare of our fearsome Production Editor, to whose schedules we all must dutifully adhere, was directed elsewhere, a momentary distraction I was able to take full advantage of.
Anyway, when he wasn't looking, I made a surreptitious exit and headed into the West End and the Pigalle Club in Piccadilly, for a playback of the new Morrissey album, Years Of Refusal, which is coming out next February.
The Pigalle turns out to be a pretty swanky nightclub, like something you might see in archive footage of the 50s or 60s, when it might have been full of Brylcreemed gangsters, villains from Whitechapel and Bow and similar 'manors', up West for the night, accompanied by buxom starlets with platinum beehives, the place otherwise full of raffish movie stars, familiar faces from awful British films of the time, and football managers, the shadier kind, wreathed in cigar smoke, dolly birds in tow, ordering champagne by the bucket-load.
It's full of music hacks this afternoon, some of them from far afield, all present to lend an ear to Morrissey's latest opus. Morrissey is even here himself, to introduce the album.
He gets up from the table where he's been sitting, and with a little cough leaps on the small stage, where an easel has been set up with a large mock-up of the new record's sleeve resting on it, Morrissey in the picture that adorns said sleeve holding a baby.
"It's not photo-shopped," he now tells us, and he sounds like he's got a cold. "That's my son," he playfully quips, as eyebrows go up across the room.
He goes on to make a short speech, but watching him, wondering why he appears to be wearing clothes that look at least a size too small from him, I am thinking of the description of the great man in poet Simon Armitage's wonderful memoir Gig: The Life And Times Of A Rock Star Fantasist, in which he recalls seeing Morrissey - "with his waiter's hips and builder's shoulders" - at King George's Hall, Blackburn, I can't remember when.
"Back in the Eighties," Armitage writes, "there was barely enough of Morrissey to stop his paisley shirts and floral blouses from completely imploding. Now he looks like a retired shire horse standing on its back legs, or something from mythology, as if those tailored Italian trousers might be hiding a pair of goat's legs."
I snap out of this brief reverie as Morrissey winds up his introduction.
"This is my new album, please God you like it," he says, with a little bow of his head. He exits the stage as the first rumblings from the album, something with the cheery title of "Something Is Squeezing My Skull", flood through the speakers that are everywhere around the room.
That's as much, I think, as I might be allowed to say for the moment about Years Of Refusal without risking a good hiding from someone. I'm sure, though, we'll have a lot more to say about it at the appropriate time.
Until then, all the best.
Allan

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club 'doing promo'

From the "Uncut" newsletter 15/12/08...

I managed, though, to sneak away from the office for a couple of hours last week when the savage glare of our fearsome Production Editor, to whose schedules we all must dutifully adhere, was directed elsewhere, a momentary distraction I was able to take full advantage of.
Anyway, when he wasn't looking, I made a surreptitious exit and headed into the West End and the Pigalle Club in Piccadilly, for a playback of the new Morrissey album, Years Of Refusal, which is coming out next February.
The Pigalle turns out to be a pretty swanky nightclub, like something you might see in archive footage of the 50s or 60s, when it might have been full of Brylcreemed gangsters, villains from Whitechapel and Bow and similar 'manors', up West for the night, accompanied by buxom starlets with platinum beehives, the place otherwise full of raffish movie stars, familiar faces from awful British films of the time, and football managers, the shadier kind, wreathed in cigar smoke, dolly birds in tow, ordering champagne by the bucket-load.
It's full of music hacks this afternoon, some of them from far afield, all present to lend an ear to Morrissey's latest opus. Morrissey is even here himself, to introduce the album.
He gets up from the table where he's been sitting, and with a little cough leaps on the small stage, where an easel has been set up with a large mock-up of the new record's sleeve resting on it, Morrissey in the picture that adorns said sleeve holding a baby.
"It's not photo-shopped," he now tells us, and he sounds like he's got a cold. "That's my son," he playfully quips, as eyebrows go up across the room.
He goes on to make a short speech, but watching him, wondering why he appears to be wearing clothes that look at least a size too small from him, I am thinking of the description of the great man in poet Simon Armitage's wonderful memoir Gig: The Life And Times Of A Rock Star Fantasist, in which he recalls seeing Morrissey - "with his waiter's hips and builder's shoulders" - at King George's Hall, Blackburn, I can't remember when.
"Back in the Eighties," Armitage writes, "there was barely enough of Morrissey to stop his paisley shirts and floral blouses from completely imploding. Now he looks like a retired shire horse standing on its back legs, or something from mythology, as if those tailored Italian trousers might be hiding a pair of goat's legs."
I snap out of this brief reverie as Morrissey winds up his introduction.
"This is my new album, please God you like it," he says, with a little bow of his head. He exits the stage as the first rumblings from the album, something with the cheery title of "Something Is Squeezing My Skull", flood through the speakers that are everywhere around the room.
That's as much, I think, as I might be allowed to say for the moment about Years Of Refusal without risking a good hiding from someone. I'm sure, though, we'll have a lot more to say about it at the appropriate time.
Until then, all the best.
Allan

Well, so far the previews have been good... I now realise the Uncut guy would risk a good hiding from his fearsome Production Editor :) - somehow, when I first read this, I thought he meant Moz ! which means I've been working too much, can't think straight, etc

I better get myself a drink! :)

Last edited:
Tags
lyrics
Back
Top Bottom