Moz at The Pigalle Club: Years of Refusal lyrics scans

Re: Moz at The Pigalle Club today 'doing promo'

I'm now in the habit of enjoying each day to its fullest, but I'm really, really eager for Feb. 16th- 23rd- whenever to arrive. "Sorry Doesn't Help" is growing on me really fast.

Thanks, Anin.

I just read the Guardian review - http://tinyurl.com/6fuytu - and have to say the last 2 tracks, Sorry Doesn't Help & I'm OK By Myself are far from plodding & uninspired. They're great. Honestly.

When I read when he said "that's my son"... Oh my.. I got goosebumps!!! The sole idea just sounds so beautiful.... If I could only be the mother of the baby :D :horny:

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore "builds into a chorus the size of Manchester."

From The Guardian article.

I personally can't wait for February 16th.

“I’m the person in the picture which is not Photoshopped – that’s my son. This is my new album. Please, God, you like it,”

This is how I read it, keep in mind I'm crazy but give it a chance. He says he's the person in the photo who isn't photoshopped (hint: the one wearing the butterfly having emerged from the cocoon who's holding him.) Then he says "that's my son" indicating the other person in the photo meaning his ACTUAL body. He called himself "the son." He self-pronounced.

This is how I read it, keep in mind I'm crazy but give it a chance. He says he's the person in the photo who isn't photoshopped (hint: the one wearing the butterfly having emerged from the cocoon who's holding him.) Then he says "that's my son" indicating the other person in the photo meaning his ACTUAL body. He called himself "the son." He self-pronounced.

Unless there was a comma in there that didn't make the final transcription. :rolleyes:

The lyrics of "Carol" reminded me instantly of "Late Night, Maudlin Street" with references back to the 70s and Mozza's past. Maybe this is more of an autobiographical album than we think. I'm crossing my fingers that at least one of the ballads becomes a single, though I've got this feeling like we'll be wishing "Carol" was a YOR single like some of us wished "Pigsty" was a ROTT single...

So...shall we get started on song-by-song lyrical analysis? :D
I am extremely excited!

Now that I have read the lyrics I am even more excited about the album.
I need to hear Sorry Doesn't Help. I love the lyrics!!

oooh thanks Anin,
i'm gonna be a good girl and resist reading them... :)

who wants to start a book on how long i'll last? LOL
:rolleyes:

I am certainly no great expert in lyrical analysis but I must say all of the new songs lyrically are quite promising.

Black Cloud- Really putting the "Refusal" into Years of Refusal, I really find this lyrically a strange sibling to The More you Ignore Me. I dont get what Black Cloud means but I think none the less this track is of lyrical par far above Ringleader. I just hope the music is good and we may have a very strong track on here.

When I Last Spoke to Carol- I find this a very interesting musical portrait. I find it intriguing how these lyrics will be sung. I think this has an almost early Moz element to it. Also I think this sounding in an almost mariachi fashion could be amusing.

It's Not your Birthday Anymore- Very interesting lyrics for what is apparently a ballad. Honestly I think this has good lyrics but really isnt as thrilling as the other ones, that being said I think these have good potential for a great melody.

You Were Good in your Time-The Vauxhall reference in the Guardian is fair, this track is lyrically gorgeous probably one of the if not the best Mozz lyrics of the decade.

Sorry Doesnt Help- This track really isnt too exciting though is rather amusing, for some reason I find these lyrics a throwback to the Smiths.

I'm Ok by Myself- A very fun rock song, the lyrics for some reason remind me very much thematically close to At Last I am Born. Sounds like a fun track that isnt too different than many of Morrissey's more personal album finales.

Wow.
All the new lyrics are very powerful. Black Cloud and It's Not Your Birthday Anymore .....
*swoon*

February is too far away.

Hey guys thank you for the reviews and Anin for those lyrics :D

In summary:

The Guardian:
So, on first impressions, a decidedly mixed, but somewhat enviable bag. For when Morrissey pulls out the stops on this album, he's the best he's been for a long time - full of heart, soul and fire

Billboard:
Morrissey's voice on the record is strong, and the production is testament to the talents of the late Jerry Finn

Gigwise:
While there’s no doubt that he tackles certain issues - most notably humanity’s two biggest emotions, love and death - Morrissey's explanations are still shrouded in ambiguity. Where ‘Years of Refusal’ really does shine, however, is musically. It’s here that, on the verge of turning 50, Morrissey has just shifted into Top Gear.

It sounds so good, I just can't believe I have to wait 2 months for its release :(

oh well...there are worse thing in life, etc :D :guitar:

Last edited:

Wow.
All the new lyrics are very powerful. Black Cloud and It's Not Your Birthday Anymore .....
*swoon*

February is too far away.

It's not your birthday is harsh. I love it.

Tags
lyrics
Back
Top Bottom