Movie voice guy Don LaFontaine has died

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/01/movie-voice-guy-don-lafontaine-has-died/

The legendary movie voice guy known as Don LaFontaine passed away on Monday at the age of 68. Entertainment Tonight is reporting that LaFontaine passed away of complications from Pneumothorax, a condition that is the result of a collapsed lung. Why am I writing this tribute to Don? Because even though you might not know it, Don is the voice that you recognize from nearly every last movie trailer and every last movie voiceover. He's got that deep, thrilling voice that you'll instantly recognize the moment you hear it. He may never have been seen in any actual movies, but to me, he has been and always will be the voice of movies and movie trailers. Don and his voice will most certainly never be forgotten.
Don is known as that "movie trailer guy" or "movie voice guy" or whatever you want to call him. From the first time I can remember watching movies, I remember hearing Don's voice. He's done so many voiceovers that it's almost pointless to count them, although the official number is upwards of 5,000 or more. Not only has he provided voiceovers, but he's written and produced films as well. This is one of the most tragic years for Hollywood with the loss of such iconic behind-the-scenes individuals like Stan Winston and now Don LaFontaine. Will anyone be able to ever replace him and his voice? "The man, the myth, the voiceover legend…"

What a guy - he seemed so much fun. That is sad. His voice was instantly recognisable and had a calming quality.

I am sure that someone was being groomed in order to replace him.
Yankee fans know the name Bob Sheppard who has introduced Yankee Legends such as Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle during their playing days to "Deh-rick Jee-tah." Bob is 98 years old and still announces some Yankee games as well as Giants football games. However the Yankees are in no denial of his age and probably lasting longevity and have already recruited another announcer to mimic Bob's dialect and diction.

Bob Sheppard - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sheppard

Oh, man. That sucks.

This is one of my favorite videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, that's too bad. Not to be disrespectful, but I often got tired of hearing his voice for every... single... thing...

p.s. am I the only one who first read this as the movie phone guy? :p

Tags
in a world where who's he?
Back
Top Bottom