Mousetrap!

almareallymatters

I have a mouse loose in my house! :eek:

mouse.jpg

It all started a few weeks ago when I watching telly in the sitting room one night and heard a strange scratching sound followed by a little BUMP coming from behind the wall. I didn't think much of it at the time!

Then a few days later I went into the cupboard under the kitchen sink where I keep my cleaning stuff to get a replacement kitchen towel roll and it was all sort of frayed and tatty! Again I didn't think too much of it reasoning it was either like that when I brought it or I had damaged it loading the shopping into the car.

On Saturday I went into the attic to get out my insulated cool bag for a day out and it was full of holes! First I thought it was moths...but when I shook the bag it had little droppings in it!

SHITARAMA!

My father-in-law helpfully suggested I should hit it with a golf club! :rolleyes:

Instead I have purchased two humane mousetraps from the hardware store which I have baited with peanut butter as suggested on the packaging. The mouse gets trapped inside unharmed and then you can release it back into the wild WHERE IT BLOODY WELL BELONGS!

The traps have been set since Saturday afternoon now but so far NOTHING!

Anyone have any experience of a mouse loose in their house? Or any tips for riding myself of my newly aquired little rodent friend?!

HELP! :o

Love Alma xxx

Last edited:
You'd better ring up RSPCA for some advice how to get rid of unwanted rodents humainly.

You could also get one of those plug-in devices which emit sonic tones to drive the mice away. I think they work.
He's a cute little blighter though. Hope you catch him. :)

You could also get one of those plug-in devices which emit sonic tones to drive the mice away. I think they work.

I'll look into that too!...thanks Zelda......it's one of the perils of living in the countryside I guess!

He does look cute...but not so cute if he eats the kids Christmas pressies that I have cunningly hidden in the attic! :eek: ;)

Love Alma xxx

Yes, that worked for me too!!
It didn't cost much, about 25 euro (20 quid) and it worked almost instantly. :guitar:

Also, pack away all your food into plastic containers. (crackers, cookies, rice, pasta and all that). The buggers will bite through all normal packaging.

I have a mouse loose in my house! :eek:

mouse.jpg

It all started a few weeks ago when I watching telly in the sitting room one night and heard a strange scratching sound followed by a little BUMP coming from behind the wall. I didn't think much of it at the time!

Then a few days later I went into the cupboard under the kitchen sink where I keep my cleaning stuff to get a replacement kitchen towel roll and it was all sort of frayed and tatty! Again I didn't think too much of it reasoning it was either like that when I brought it or I had damaged it loading the shopping into the car.

On Saturday I went into the attic to get out my insulated cool bag for a day out and it was full of holes! First I thought it was moths...but when I shook the bag it had little droppings in it!

SHITARAMA!

My father-in-law helpfully suggested I should hit it with a golf club! :rolleyes:

Instead I have purchased two humane mousetraps from the hardware store which I have baited with peanut butter as suggested on the packaging. The mouse gets trapped inside unharmed and then you can release it back into the wild WHERE IT BLOODY WELL BELONGS!

The traps have been set since Saturday afternoon now but so far NOTHING!

Anyone have any experience of a mouse loose in their house? Or any tips for riding myself of my newly aquired little rodent friend?!

HELP! :o

Love Alma xxx

Mice are easy as hell to catch with those cage traps and peanut butter. You just have to have a general idea of where they go. If you know where they come out, you should be able to trap the mouse within an hour of settng the trap!!! I had a mouse that went after my dog's food. I had this problem a few times over, every few weeks. But it would only take about 1 hour to catch the mouse. And you also have to take the mouse far away. Don't just let the guy out right outside your home. He'll come right back in!! Then try and find their entry into your home. That was hard for me.

Last edited:
The mice I caught were much cuter than yours though. Smaller, with bigger eyes. My mice were cool!!!

And I was also told that if you see 1 mouse, there's at least 7 family members around! :eek:

Or your mouse ran away from home... :p

Yes, that worked for me too!!
It didn't cost much, about 25 euro (20 quid) and it worked almost instantly. :guitar:

Also, pack away all your food into plastic containers. (crackers, cookies, rice, pasta and all that). The buggers will bite through all normal packaging.

Thanks!

As far as I can tell he has not been near any food...just the attic as I said and the cupboard under my kitchen sink. I will pack away the food though as a precaution till I've got the little blighter! When my father-in-law had them in his garage they chewed the plastic lid clean off a bottle of orange squash!...I think your right...they can bite though almost anything! :eek:

Love Alma xxx

Mice are easy as hell to catch with those cage traps and peanut butter. You just have to have a general idea of where they go. If you know where they come out, you should be able to trap the mouse within an hour of settng the trap!!! I had a mouse that went after my dog's food. I had this problem a few times over, every few weeks. But it would only take about 1 hour to catch the mouse. And you also have to take the mouse far away. Don't just let the guy out right outside your home. He'll come right back in!! Then try and find their entry into your home. That was hard for me.

Thanks...some great advice!

I have already told Mr Reallymatters that when/if we get him he must drive far far away before he releases him...the next county as least! ;)

As my traps have been set for a couple of days with no results I am hopeful he was just passing through! :o

Love Alma xxx

And I was also told that if you see 1 mouse, there's at least 7 family members around! :eek:

Or your mouse ran away from home... :p

That thought had crossed my mind too!...that he took my kitchen towel to make a nest for his extended family! SHIT! :eek:

Fingers crossed he just didn't like it here at Chez Alma...I am living in hope! :o

Love Alma xxx

I had one in my storage shed and it didnt help in there. Mice got into my old concert t-shirt bag sometime ago and chewed through most of them and made a nest in the middle.

With the traps, it really matters where you place them. DO NOT put them in the middle of a space like under the sink cupboard or middle of the attic or whatever.
Put the trap along the wall edge...rodents travel along the edges...they don't wonder through the middle of the rooms like us people do.

One of the outdoor shed mice had gotten into the house back some time ago, and I heard a bit of scuffling in the middle of the night and found the 3 cats "playing" with it. I got myself a cooking pot to cover it and a baking sheet to slide under the pot to catch it and then i took it "outside."

I haven't had any rodent problems since the pot growing neighbors moved.
Curious

We used to get mice. Too many possible entries to keep them out, but a cat has discouraged them. Lil' would rather chase flies than mice, but her scent is enough to deter them.
Mice can gnaw through plastic containers, and love newspapers to shred for their beds. They also like to chew on electrical cables to sharpen their teeth, so best to evict them, however cute!

I had one in my storage shed and it didnt help in there. Mice got into my old concert t-shirt bag sometime ago and chewed through most of them and made a nest in the middle.

With the traps, it really matters where you place them. DO NOT put them in the middle of a space like under the sink cupboard or middle of the attic or whatever.
Put the trap along the wall edge...rodents travel along the edges...they don't wonder through the middle of the rooms like us people do.

One of the outdoor shed mice had gotten into the house back some time ago, and I heard a bit of scuffling in the middle of the night and found the 3 cats "playing" with it. I got myself a cooking pot to cover it and a baking sheet to slide under the pot to catch it and then i took it "outside."

I haven't had any rodent problems since the pot growing neighbors moved.
Curious

Thanks for the great advice Seeker...I will move the traps to the edges pronto!

I have an old duvet rolled up in the attic...I guess they/it could have made a nest in there! But I'm too scared to look...a job for the man of the house when he gets home from work methinks! ;)

I hope and pray that he hasn't eaten my wedding dress! :mad:

Love Alma xxx

We used to get mice. Too many possible entries to keep them out, but a cat has discouraged them. Lil' would rather chase flies than mice, but her scent is enough to deter them.
Mice can gnaw through plastic containers, and love newspapers to shred for their beds. They also like to chew on electrical cables to sharpen their teeth, so best to evict them, however cute!

Doesn't matter how cute my little mouse turns out to be....he's getting Evicted with a capital E! :p

Love Alma xxx

Back
Top Bottom