Most Popular Artists on Vinyl, According to Discogs - mentalfloss.com (The Smiths #8)

Thought this was interesting:

Though music streaming platforms may have supplanted physical media as the go-to way to play your favorite songs, plenty of people are still actively expanding their well-curated vinyl record collections. In fact, vinyl actually outsold CDs for the first time in decades back in late 2019.

In short, vinyl records are still surprisingly popular—and according to a new study from UK financial comparison service Money.co.uk, no one is more popular on vinyl than The Beatles. To come to that conclusion, the researchers crunched numbers from Discogs, an online music database and retailer where millions of users catalog and add to their own music collections across many formats. Each album’s page includes statistics showing how many Discogs users own it. So Money.co.uk took a look at that data for 1.3 million vinyl records and then ranked artists based on their aggregate totals.

The Beatles totaled more than 3.3 million, outpacing runner-up Pink Floyd by more than half a million. As for which Beatles album reigns supreme, the title goes to Abbey Road—not exactly surprising, as that album was also named the best-selling vinyl record of the past decade in 2020. The rest of the top 10 is pretty predictable, too. David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, and Queen rounded out the top five, and The Rolling Stones edged out Nirvana for the sixth spot. Elvis Presley came in tenth with more than 934,000 records on Discog users’s shelves.

While the study is far from a comprehensive look at all vinyl record sales throughout history, it’s a good indicator of which artists do really well on vinyl. You can see the full list below; and if it prompts you to thumb through your old boxes of records, that’s not a bad idea—some of them could be worth a fortune.

The Beatles // 3,369,578
Pink Floyd // 2,815,586
David Bowie // 2,178,928
Led Zeppelin // 1,879,600
Queen // 1,311,065
The Rolling Stones // 1,097,877
Nirvana // 1,075,811
The Smiths // 998,687
AC/DC // 957,002
Elvis Presley // 934,547

It is interesting, though, isn't it?

All of those artists, during their active years, sold massively more albums than The Smiths ever did. So The Smiths are really punching above their weight to be anywhere near the top 10 of a list like that...They've become a very powerful "legacy act" on vinyl.

sorry king of haiku
thought it was interesting

thanks for the input
next time write it in poem form please......bleephole

Well, The Smiths sold more
Vinyl than Elvis Presley
That's slightly odd, no?

Not bad for a alternative/indie band. :p

I wonder if The Smiths would be on that list at all if Morrissey didn’t continue after the split, and in that way helped to keep the memory of The Smiths alive.

Well, The Smiths sold more
Vinyl than Elvis Presley
That's slightly odd, no?
not really as elvis has been dead for forty five years,still a fantastic number for the king and with baz lurhmanns biopic due for release in the summer his numbers will rise a good bit.

...and The Beatles split up in 1970. Elvis is still massively popular...just that The Smiths are bigger 😛❣️

...and The Beatles split up in 1970. Elvis is still massively popular...just that The Smiths are bigger 😛❣️
dont be silly.people would baulk at that suggestion,even M would say it was ridiculous to say the smiths were bigger than elvis,without elvis there was no beatles.

dont be silly.people would baulk at that suggestion,even M would say it was ridiculous to say the smiths were bigger than elvis,without elvis there was no beatles.
Really, I wasn't being serious...never mind.

Though music streaming platforms may have supplanted physical media as the go-to way to play your favorite songs, plenty of people are still actively expanding their well-curated vinyl record collections. In fact, vinyl actually outsold CDs for the first time in decades back in late 2019.

In short, vinyl records are still surprisingly popular—and according to a new study from UK financial comparison service Money.co.uk, no one is more popular on vinyl than The Beatles. To come to that conclusion, the researchers crunched numbers from Discogs, an online music database and retailer where millions of users catalog and add to their own music collections across many formats. Each album’s page includes statistics showing how many Discogs users own it. So Money.co.uk took a look at that data for 1.3 million vinyl records and then ranked artists based on their aggregate totals.

The Beatles totaled more than 3.3 million, outpacing runner-up Pink Floyd by more than half a million. As for which Beatles album reigns supreme, the title goes to Abbey Road—not exactly surprising, as that album was also named the best-selling vinyl record of the past decade in 2020. The rest of the top 10 is pretty predictable, too. David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, and Queen rounded out the top five, and The Rolling Stones edged out Nirvana for the sixth spot. Elvis Presley came in tenth with more than 934,000 records on Discog users’s shelves.

While the study is far from a comprehensive look at all vinyl record sales throughout history, it’s a good indicator of which artists do really well on vinyl. You can see the full list below; and if it prompts you to thumb through your old boxes of records, that’s not a bad idea—some of them could be worth a fortune.

The Beatles // 3,369,578
Pink Floyd // 2,815,586
David Bowie // 2,178,928
Queen // 1,311,065
Nirvana // 1,075,811
The Smiths // 998,687
AC/DC // 957,002
Elvis Presley // 934,547
I love my Smiths vinyl ...all the albums and about half the singles I could collect over the years (not easy). Of all those other artists...I only own 1 Queen album....and it's Hot Space.

Congrats

Ahhhh!

Phucking got it!

The fake Morrissey-Marr nonsense was all to sell records.

Phucking 2@s!

In short, never meet trust your heroes.

The Beatles // 3,369,578
Pink Floyd // 2,815,586
David Bowie // 2,178,928
Queen // 1,311,065
Nirvana // 1,075,811
The Smiths // 998,687
AC/DC // 957,002
Elvis Presley // 934,547

Using figures from Discogs alone is enough to nullify that nonsense.

NEXT!

I was in HMV the other day, All the best selling Vinyl was on display...
HOH was among the big sellers along with Oasis and the usual
Suspects ..

It is interesting, though, isn't it?

All of those artists, during their active years, sold massively more albums than The Smiths ever did. So The Smiths are really punching above their weight to be anywhere near the top 10 of a list like that...They've become a very powerful "legacy act" on vinyl.
Agree... my three daughters
All have record players and have records by The Smiths, Nirvana,
Lana delray...
my 13 year olde even has Fleetwood
Mac ...
My youngest is now heavily
Into The Smiths

Agree... my three daughters
All have record players and have records by The Smiths, Nirvana,
Lana delray...
my 13 year olde even has Fleetwood
Mac ...
My youngest is now heavily
Into The Smiths
Does she have a preferred album CB? My nipper’s enamoured with the debut LP—which is slightly surprising.

Does she have a preferred album CB? My nipper’s enamoured with the debut LP—which is slightly surprising.
Louder than bombs seems to be her fave , and some indie music as well
And she loves William 😌

this uses discogs so its not at all true, people into the smiths are more likely to be into collecting vinyl (and catalouging collections into discogs) as its sort of a 'indie hobby' as such, still interesting though

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom