Morten Harket on meeting Morrissey and covering The Sun Always Shines (new NME interview - September 2, 2022)

At a 2004 gig in Norway, which musician introduced himself as ‘Morten’ before singing his own, lyrically-altered snippet of A-ha’s ‘The Sun Always Shines on T.V.’?

MH: “The main guy who’s been vocal about A-ha is obviously Chris Martin from Coldplay, but that’s not who you’re looking for here?”
NME: WRONG. It’s Morrissey.
MH: “[Laughs] That would have been a treat to hear. I met Morrissey in New Orleans briefly in the ‘80s. He’s a brilliant musician and writer, and I’d have a coffee with him any time if the chance happens!”

www.nme.com/features/music-interviews/a-ha-morten-harket-masked-singer-pet-shop-boys-3301940

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
iv liked aha for a long time,so many great songs,this trio ceratainly knew how to write a catchy song, You Are The One being the catchiest of them all.still listen to them regularly.

mon eh hoops.

Last edited:
Who votes that Moz should do a cover of 'Take on me' and follow up with a load of Euro centric songs on an album entitled 'European Rainfall'? I'd give it a listen.

Nope...just me then.
im in,all the way.

It’s nigh on criminal that Morrissey hasn’t been offered a Bond song. But I understand themes are out of the hands of the producers?

As I recall Morrissey loves Moonraker by Bassey? Originally wrote for Sinatra. It’s a truly beautiful song.
Always thought "You Were Good in Your Time" sounded like a Bond Song. Sure this was mentioned in one of the reviews for YOR.

Who votes that Moz should do a cover of 'Take on me' and follow up with a load of Euro centric songs on an album entitled 'European Rainfall'? I'd give it a listen.

Nope...just me then.
I doubt he’d reach the pitch these days…. I doubt any of us would 😂

I love a-ha. They are about to release their eleventh album True North and while their music has evolved from early synthpop to more mature stuff, they have consistently released good albums. As songwriters and musicians they are incredibly underrated.

I interviewed Morten in 1995 when he was promoting his solo album. A very strange man: dreamy, somehow distant but friendly. He was so enthusiastic about a new song he had just written so he sang a bit of it into my tape recorder. His voice was just as good au naturel as on the albums.

They've played The Killing Moon with Ian McCulloch at a couple of gigs in the last few of years.

I love a-ha. Probably the most underrated pop band in history. A bit uneven, maybe, but when they’re good, they’re pretty f***ing brilliant.

I love a-ha. Probably the most underrated pop band in history. A bit uneven, maybe, but when they’re good, they’re pretty f***ing brilliant.
Agreed. After the first three albums the band's internal struggles and arguments about the musical direction have been evident in all albums ever since, but each one always has several top quality songs on it. Apparently in the early 2000's the band members hated each other so much, that they all did their parts in different studios. When Morten and Magne started wanting more of their songs to be included on the albums, it has been rough sailing ever since.

They've played The Killing Moon with Ian McCulloch at a couple of gigs in the last few of years.
On the Summer Solstice unplugged album McCullouch dueted with Morten on Scoundrel Days, which was truly a suicidal move, since Ian's voice was nowhere near up to the standards the song's very demanding chorus needs. The Killing Moon cover sounds much better.

On the Summer Solstice unplugged album McCullouch dueted with Morten on Scoundrel Days, which was truly a suicidal move, since Ian's voice was nowhere near up to the standards the song's very demanding chorus needs. The Killing Moon cover sounds much better.

Yes I've seen that on You Tube, it's not great.

Always thought "You Were Good in Your Time" sounded like a Bond Song. Sure this was mentioned in one of the reviews for YOR.
the music for My Dearest Love is very james bond.

Agreed. After the first three albums the band's internal struggles and arguments about the musical direction have been evident in all albums ever since, but each one always has several top quality songs on it. Apparently in the early 2000's the band members hated each other so much, that they all did their parts in different studios. When Morten and Magne started wanting more of their songs to be included on the albums, it has been rough sailing ever since.
So very true. There is no album that hasn’t got at least a couple of indispensable songs. Stay On These Roads is a great example. It could very well be their weakest LP, but it contains the title track - a song I recently included in my top 20 songs of all time list.

So very true. There is no album that hasn’t got at least a couple of indispensable songs. Stay On These Roads is a great example. It could very well be their weakest LP, but it contains the title track - a song I recently included in my top 20 songs of all time list.
Well, I do like Stay on These Roads a lot. The title track, Touchy, This Alone Is Love, Hurry Home, You'll End Up Crying... I pretty much love the whole album. Memorial Beach is the tough one for me, because they tried too hard to be like U2 and worked against their strenths.

Well, I do like Stay on These Roads a lot. The title track, Touchy, This Alone Is Love, Hurry Home, You'll End Up Crying... I pretty much love the whole album. Memorial Beach is the tough one for me, because they tried too hard to be like U2 and worked against their strenths.
I dunno. Memorial Beach is too melancholic and mellow to be anything like U2. I think it was a bold move.

You forgot Out of Blue Comes Green! That’s an amazing song.

Top 10 a-ha songs according to this lil’ bug:
1. Stay on these roads
2. The Sun Always Shines on TV
3. Manhattan Skyline
4. Hunting High and Low
5. Living a Boy’s Adventure Tale
6. Take On Me
7. Cosy Prisons
8. Out of Blue Comes Green
9. Memorial Beach
10. This Is Our Home

Well, right now my top 10 could be:

1. The Swing of Things
2. Hunting High and Low
3. The Sun Always Shines on TV
4. Scoundrel Days
5. Stay on These Roads
6. Birthright
7. Forever Not Yours
8. Soft Rains of April
9. Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
10. Slender Frame

Ok , let's do it :

1.Hunting High and Low
2.The Sun Always Shines on T.V.
3.There's Never a Forever Thing
4. Crying in the Rain ( i know , it's cover but this is superb rendition )
5. Stay On These Roads
6. Summer Moved On
7. Lifelines
8.The Swing of Things
9. Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
10. Forever Not Yours

Morten is a handsome devil :smilingimp: and the modern pop music is a piece of shit . Period .

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom