Morrisssey-solo redesign

Update (Feb. 3): More database instability and some recent items on the site missing after repair.

Update: Database errors have cleared. Some posts/comments from around 11am to 3pm PT were corrupted.

Update: Avatars were repaired. Still some instability as I see some posts are disappearing. Looking into it.

Update: Not the smoothest of starts, the database crashed shortly after the launch. I was able to repair it but users lost their avatars. Sorry about that, let me know if you get any other errors.

Welcome to the new, simplified Morrissey-solo. The move went smoothly for the most part, please report any problems in the Site Feedback forum or to [email protected].

vBulletin is now the main platform of the site, it has been powering the forums since 2006. With the features of the latest upgrade all the content on the site is now managed through it. In addition to the forums, this includes the main page articles, tour info and image gallery. As mentioned previously archived pages dating back to the start of the site should remain accessible.

With the new system, the main page articles should be more continuously updated as opposed to the previous bunch of stories every few days or so. Moderators will have a more active role now in managing the main page as time goes on. I'd like to thank Uncleskinny and Kewpie in particular for their continuing help in highlighting stories for the main page. Thanks also to the many contributors of the site that send in stories large and small. I am under no illusion that there would be much of a site to work on without you.

In the past year or two since the forums moved to vBulletin most news and items of interest originate in the forums so this integration is a natural evolution of the site. The recent content management additions made by the vBulletin team work well so far.

Some new features:
  • Facebook integration - link your existing account or create an account using Facebook.
  • Chat room - java based version.
  • Blogs - replace journals.
  • Several forum enhancements including the desired 'YouTube button'.
Removed forum features:
  • Ignore thread - not supported on this version currently.
  • The "Morrissey Reddit" box - removed as articles can be promoted to the main page by moderators more frequently.
There are still several optimizations I plan to include. The vBulletin platform has a lot of support and options so please feel free to make suggestions. Adjustments will be ongoing.

Last edited:
Good to see it all back. Thanks for all the hard work, David.

I agree with Skinny - I don't know what's going on yet, but it looks good, and I'm grateful for all David T's hard work.

Dave

Nice new setup, David. It'll take me forever to figure it all out, though :)

Woot woot! Looks great and a video button YAY! Works fine on an iphone. THanks for all your hard work, DavidT. :)

Suggestion? Bring back the blue! Allow users to select the skin colour. The brown is burning my retinas. Other than that, it looks great.

Looking good, David. I'm sure any glitches will be smoothed out over the coming days -- ignore any complaints.

As they say in Japanese "Otsukaresama deshita!"

Hi David,

In both Chrome and Safari, visiting the home page shows me the text of your post in only half the body, though when I click to view comments the text fills the screen (ie, correctly) in the main body area. IE, the text seems about 300 pixels wide when visiting the homepage, as opposed to the approximate 600 pixels wide of the actual main body/text area.

Also would suggest reversing the lighter brown in the sidebar column with the slightly darker brown in the main body. We're an aging fan-base, and darker colors beneath the main text are getting harder to read!

In any case, just wanted to share some minor feedback. Looking good!

I can send a screenshot if that helps. Just reply here and I'll PM you.

I'm user 38. Whee!

Morrissey Solo, the College Years.

Hi David,

In both Chrome and Safari, visiting the home page shows me the text of your post in only half the body, though when I click to view comments the text fills the screen (ie, correctly) in the main body area. IE, the text seems about 300 pixels wide when visiting the homepage, as opposed to the approximate 600 pixels wide of the actual main body/text area.

Also would suggest reversing the lighter brown in the sidebar column with the slightly darker brown in the main body. We're an aging fan-base, and darker colors beneath the main text are getting harder to read!

In any case, just wanted to share some minor feedback. Looking good!

I use Chrome and tested on Windows 7, Mac and Windows XP and have not run into those issues. What platform are you on? Yes, please send a screenshot. I have also tested Safari. I experimented a bit with the colors but am open to changing them. I'll see if your suggestion works. If anyone else wants to come up with a theme I'll be happy to work with you as I could use design help on the site.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom