Morrissey's 'Your Arsenal' was released July 27, 1992; read our 1992 cover story with Moz - SPIN

I was at the Sam Goody in-store they mentioned at the beginning of the article, and well, also remember the interview itself (I still may have it tucked away somewhere). I remember at the time thinking the interviewer was overtly hostile toward Morrissey. As I read it now, I don't get that as much as I feel the interviewer was calling Morrissey out on what he/she perceived as an insincere "Miserablism Schtick".

Last edited:

Revisit Our November 1992 Morrissey Your Arsenal Cover Story: The Sorrow and the Pity - SPIN
Morrissey's Your Arsenal was released July 27, 1992. To mark the album's 25th anniversary, we've digitized this interview, which appeared in the November 1992 issue of Spin.

I remember being at a store in Costa Mesa, CA, as they were going to sell the album at midnight. While I was there I made myself very cozy with a cutie pie and my then girlfriend showed up and made a scene, lol.

Great interview. Back in the days when Moz was asked intelligent questions and provided intelligent answers. I miss the days of looking forward to those magazines coming out with Moz looking fantastic on the covers because the interviews rarely disappointed. Now its all cliched shit from 12 year old 'artists' who can't talk or sing.

Great interview. Back in the days when Moz was asked intelligent questions and provided intelligent answers. I miss the days of looking forward to those magazines coming out with Moz looking fantastic on the covers because the interviews rarely disappointed. Now its all cliched shit from 12 year old 'artists' who can't talk or sing.

Agreed Acton.
Only really interested and smart enough people can get him to talk.
I wouldn't say I dislike the email interviews he has done but if it is a one on one conversation and the interviewer is okay in Mozzers eyes he tends to be more spontaneous and open.
With more personal reflection.
I think the NME ruined that for us too. :crazy:

I remember I bought the US magazine Cream around that time that had the same photo of Moz, leaning against the car.
That was a good interview too. Think it was a woman doing the interview. Must have it somewhere in a box. But which one?:confused:
Blimey.

Agreed Acton.
Only really interested and smart enough people can get him to talk.
I wouldn't say I dislike the email interviews he has done but if it is a one on one conversation and the interviewer is okay in Mozzers eyes he tends to be more spontaneous and open.
With more personal reflection.
I think the NME ruined that for us too. :crazy:

I remember I bought the US magazine Cream around that time that had the same photo of Moz, leaning against the car.
That was a good interview too. Think it was a woman doing the interview. Must have it somewhere in a box. But which one?:confused:
Blimey.

The main point there is that having less things to say apart from his usual rantings , he does email interviews! Useless , boring pieces of
Not-So- Witty punchlines!
His best interviews were the ones he did with journalits who loved him and knew him well for instance the Face feb 1990 .And most of those done by les Inrockuptibles in France (find them in A Chance To Shine fanzine).

I am not so impatient to get the new ones promoting the new album(if this Album is due to be released .....in a next world!)

I remember buying that album in the north of Sweden as me and my mother and her best friend and my grandad were up there on holiday visiting friends and family as my grandad and mother came from that part of the world.

It must have been a smaller record store and it is now 25 years ago. A lot of memories.

Excellent interview. It seems the sharpness of the questions is directly proportional to the number of days the interviewer had to wait for it. Maybe that was the original purpose of delaying the interview.

Three quick thoughts....
1) My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer around this time in '92. I remember how that album helped me to keep on and to do what needed to be done to support my mum and dad that year. Morrissey's music has always supported me in dark times, and has made good times better.
2) My God, how young we all were then...just kids.
3) The quintessence of Moz is there, isn't it....the "where's the publicity about Madison Square Garden"...the man knowing his worth, no matter what. That's not ego. It's truth. Viva Moz!

This was the time when he rocked--great lyrics, great music, great musicians.

Now...well, we all know the story...sad.

This was the time when he rocked--great lyrics, great music, great musicians.

Now...well, we all know the story...sad.
I dunno. If you ignore all the hateful comments from Moz (and fans) he still is well able to come up with great albums. I really liked World Peace and am hopeful he can do it again, but I do admit I really would like to see him ditch his band and try something new. There are far better musicians and songwriters out there more suited to Moz's exceptional talents.

I dunno. If you ignore all the hateful comments from Moz (and fans) he still is well able to come up with great albums. I really liked World Peace and am hopeful he can do it again, but I do admit I really would like to see him ditch his band and try something new. There are far better musicians and songwriters out there more suited to Moz's exceptional talents.

I respect your thoughts on WPINOYB, but I'm not keen on it. I like a couple of the songs, but it's too bad things have become what are.

Reckon me like bloated, sun burned, Dodger cap wearing Uncle Steve better than early 90's Uncle Steve. Reckon why did Uncle Steve always have his photo shoots next to 1950's American cars? Reckon well at least that is better that a photo shoot next to a moped with all the loving fans in Rome.

Reckon me like bloated, sun burned, Dodger cap wearing Uncle Steve better than early 90's Uncle Steve. Reckon why did Uncle Steve always have his photo shoots next to 1950's American cars? Reckon well at least that is better that a photo shoot next to a moped with all the loving fans in Rome.

I wanna read your diary (diorrhea)!

Still his best produced album IMHO. The fuzzy, glammy sound that Mick Ronson helped create served Moz and the band very well. Also great songs: Glamorous Glue, National Front Disco, You're the One for Me Fatty. His last great record. Don't get me wrong. He has recorded many great songs since then, but no album sounds as good as this in my mind...

Well this makes me feel old. 40th birthday in a few weeks, 25th anniversary of Arsenal...
Yeesh. I do still have the T-Shirt of the cover with "We look at danger and we laugh our heads off" on the back.

I think the shirt has held up better than I have.

Last edited:
you folks are crazy. The new yet to be released album is the best one M has done ! I'm sure he would agree with me. :D

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom