Morrissey's use of the Union Jack WAS insensitive and racist

J

jjxb

Hello,

I know none of you will agree being blindly in love with the man, but Morrissey's use of the Union Jack on stage in front of a NF rally in Finsbury Park was ridiculous - at best foolish and insensitive and at worst, flirting with facism. The fact of the matter is that the Union Jack has been appropriated by the far right in this country, however much Britpop tried to reclaim it. It is more a symbol of British nazism, the national front and the BNP than it is of being British. It is far too simplistic and narrow to say, "oh, other countries wave their flags around without it being racist and so why not us?". I mean, I smpathise as we should be able to, but other countries haven't had their flags approproated in this way.

Here is a question for you: using the logic that the flag is originally the country's flag and not the facists' flag, and therefore despite whatever the connotations are associated with it the act of wrapping himeself in it were ok - would you have thought it acceptable if Morrissey had paraded around in a giant swastika flag in front of that rally? After all, the swastika is a hindu symbol of peace and was appropriated by the nazis in much the same way as the Union Jack has been appropriated by the National Front. I would consider him waltzing around on stage in front of NF members with a swastika deeply wrong. And I don't see how it is different to him doing it with a Union Jack.

Re: f***ing hell the backlash never dies does it!!!!

How about reading and engaging with what I have written and offering an intelligent response... or else if it doesn't interest you, shutting the f*** up?

Re: JUST f*** OFF

it's such a shame that a small number of uneducated thuggish buffoons like you happen to be morrissey fans. is this how you respond when your brain becomes over-heated? Danger Will Robinson, Danger [explosion]!

Do you know why we won't offer an intelligent response? Because nobody on here cares for what you have to say. Your comments are obviously a deliberate attempt to attract some attention amongst the current excitement of Morrissey's homecoming gig. I can pretty much guarantee you weren't at that gig.

Your story is old, boring and pathetic if you must know. People like you have been coming on this message board with crap like yours for years and it is frightfully tiresome and dull.

Go and do something else. Perhaps you could take up some new hobbies. Tennis, gardening?

Tom.
> How about reading and engaging with what I have written and offering an
> intelligent response... or else if it doesn't interest you, shutting the
> f*** up?

Well i did read it and i think someone who can interperate Morrssey's actions and lyrics as being a racial attack doesn't deserve my time because they obviously cant see the sense of pride and comedy that he is offering. Its funny because idiots like you are reacting like this!

The swastika is a flopped version of the original symbol, you numbskull

Re: Morrissey's use of the Union Jack WAS NOT insensitive and racist you freak.

What an Idiot you are. I was at Finsbury Park… were you??? People see racism where ever they want to see it. Exactly what happened as a consequence of Morrissey Wearing/using the flag???? NOTHING!!! Nobody was killed, gassed, hung, burnt on a cross or given a good wooping by their masser.

Also, why doesn’t anybody go on about the Union Jack worn by one of the spice girls (I’m not sad enough to know her name) as a dress??? Is that not racism too??? Or like I say, you only see it where you want to be!!!. Open your eyes… remove the PC dildo from your arse and beg the poor people that have died defending the flag for your pathetic forgiveness. Stupid little man.

f***wit corner

> Hello,

> I know none of you will agree being blindly in love with the man, but
> Morrissey's use of the Union Jack on stage in front of a NF rally in
> Finsbury Park was ridiculous - at best foolish and insensitive and at
> worst, flirting with facism. The fact of the matter is that the Union Jack
> has been appropriated by the far right in this country, however much
> Britpop tried to reclaim it. It is more a symbol of British nazism, the
> national front and the BNP than it is of being British. It is far too
> simplistic and narrow to say, "oh, other countries wave their flags
> around without it being racist and so why not us?". I mean, I
> smpathise as we should be able to, but other countries haven't had their
> flags approproated in this way.

> Here is a question for you: using the logic that the flag is originally
> the country's flag and not the facists' flag, and therefore despite
> whatever the connotations are associated with it the act of wrapping
> himeself in it were ok - would you have thought it acceptable if Morrissey
> had paraded around in a giant swastika flag in front of that rally? After
> all, the swastika is a hindu symbol of peace and was appropriated by the
> nazis in much the same way as the Union Jack has been appropriated by the
> National Front. I would consider him waltzing around on stage in front of
> NF members with a swastika deeply wrong. And I don't see how it is
> different to him doing it with a Union Jack.

Since when was a Madness gig an NF rally? I suggest in that case, Prince Buster had better stand as a BNP candidate. Now go and tell Paul Weller, Oasis, Keith Moon and indeed, Geri Halliwell too, that they all are Nazis, for daring to flaunt the Union Flag in such an incendiary fashion. By the way, my Grandad, god bless him, flew the Union Flag from the ship that rescued him at Dunkirk, after a very busy day fighting Nazis.
Now f*** off.

> Well i did read it and i think someone who can interperate Morrssey's
> actions and lyrics as being a racial attack doesn't deserve my time
> because they obviously cant see the sense of pride and comedy that he is
> offering. Its funny because idiots like you are reacting like this!

your response equates, essentially, to "if someone thinks Morrissey's actions are racist and disagrees with me, I will ignore their argument and just assume they are wrong because they must be".

that is not an intelligent response, I'm afraid. If you can't be bothered to use your brain you need not write. By all means disagree with me, but engage with what I've written if you are going to do that.

Re: Nothing to do with Moz. But I still think the Union Jack is about English oppression.

Re: Morrissey's use of the Union Jack WAS NOT insensitive and racist you freak.

So would the use of a swastika have been acceptable? Do you think context counts for nothing?

Re: I don't like the Union Jack being used anywhere. But it is just my opinion.

Not entirely correct, within both hinduism and therevadan buddhism both swastikas are found

Re: Nothing to do with Moz. But I still think the Union Jack is about English oppression.

Err... in that case, you don't think.

It that like some conclusion that you derived all by yourself??? Or did some retard whisper it in your ear and you agree and nod like a f***ing donkey??? Like there are not enough morons out there… you have to come here too. Piss off.

Re: f***wit corner

> Since when was a Madness gig an NF rally? I suggest in that case, Prince
> Buster had better stand as a BNP candidate. Now go and tell Paul Weller,
> Oasis, Keith Moon and indeed, Geri Halliwell too, that they all are Nazis,
> for daring to flaunt the Union Flag in such an incendiary fashion. By the
> way, my Grandad, god bless him, flew the Union Flag from the ship that
> rescued him at Dunkirk, after a very busy day fighting Nazis.
> Now f*** off.

(1) The madness gig was unconnected to the NF rally that happened on the same afternoon in Finsbury Park.

(2) Those other cases of union jack flaunting are also interesting, but now I am talking about Morrissey, and the context detailed in (1) exacerbates the situation in this case.

(3) Buddhists have long used the swastika as a symbol of peace, does that mean if Morrissey waved a giant swastika around you would still be cool with it?

> Err... in that case, you don't think.

> It that like some conclusion that you derived all by yourself??? Or did
> some retard whisper it in your ear and you agree and nod like a f***ing
> donkey??? Like there are not enough morons out there… you have to come
> here too. Piss off.

Why don't you provide a thoughtful response to what this poster has said instead of just insulting them? Or else not bother commenting.

Back
Top Bottom