Morrissey's U.S. Plans

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I watched, somewhat bewildered, as Moz performed "Something is Squeezing My Skull" on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I thought he would have performed the single he is currently promoting, i.e. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris." I do not understand his management. His current single hadn't even been released, and they select another song off his upcoming album. Is this an admission they picked the wrong song as the first single?:crazy:

I certainly miss the Sanctuary days when he had U.S. Maxi-CD Singles and proper management.

I watched, somewhat bewildered, as Moz performed "Something is Squeezing My Skull" on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I thought he would have performed the single he is currently promoting, i.e. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris." I do not understand his management.

I certainly miss the Sanctuary days when he had U.S. Maxi-CD Singles and proper management.

I was just thinking the same thing.

I called my local Virgin Megastore here in NYC (where I buy all my Moz), and they informed me that they do not have YOR on order, and do not know when they will be getting it in. They also mentioned that they have been getting calls about it every day.

I must admit, I'm surprised; I thought for sure I could at least buy it as an import. Something is very wrong if a major chain will not be getting the disc in, despite the fact that there is high demand. Aside from my silly romantic disappointment at not being able to walk to a store and buy a new album, it seems like a piss poor business plan.

:( :confused:

I was just thinking the same thing.

I called my local Virgin Megastore here in NYC (where I buy all my Moz), and they informed me that they do not have YOR on order, and do not know when they will be getting it in.

:( :confused:

I wonder if it's because they are closing in less than two months (if you are indeed speaking of the one in Times Square). I am thinking they have no new stock on order. I am going today for the very last time. It's very sad. :(

I wonder if it's because they are closing in less than two months (if you are indeed speaking of the one in Times Square). I am thinking they have no new stock on order. I am going today for the very last time. It's very sad. :(

Actually, it was the one in Union Square.

There are still a few decent independent record stores in NYC; a couple of new ones have opened up recently in the East Village. I'll just try good ol' Sounds on St. Marks Place.

Aren't all the Virgin Megastores closing??

The guy at the store "Rock and Roll" on Bleeker street carries a nice selection of british vinyl and actually have one of the Smiths 7 Inch boxed set in stock.

Aren't all the Virgin Megastores closing??

The guy at the store "Rock and Roll" on Bleeker street carries a nice selection of british vinyl and actually have one of the Smiths 7 Inch boxed set in stock.

Actually, the Union Square location was slated to close last week due to a rent dispute, but the people on the phone claimed that they are still a going concern. Either they worked things out, someone is in deep denial, or I was talking to a ghost.

I'll make a few more phone calls before I give in and order online.

If anyone finds "Paris" anywhere in NYC, please post it here. I desperately want to buy it, but don't have time to traipse around town hunting it down!
THANKS!

I watched, somewhat bewildered, as Moz performed "Something is Squeezing My Skull" on Jimmy Kimmel Live. I thought he would have performed the single he is currently promoting, i.e. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris."

I think he is promoting the album, not the single. There is basically no market for singles in the US. Those of us that are hardcore fans of Morrissey and other artists with loyal followings, buy the few singles that are made available, but they are not a significant part of the industry model here. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is only available as a $.99 download without b-sides. Morrissey and his record company certainly have more to gain by focusing their energies on promoting the album rather than the single.

I think he is promoting the album, not the single. There is basically no market for singles in the US. Those of us that are hardcore fans of Morrissey and other artists with loyal followings, buy the few singles that are made available, but they are not a significant part of the industry model here. "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is only available as a $.99 download without b-sides. Morrissey and his record company certainly have more to gain by focusing their energies on promoting the album rather than the single.

What about radio play?

Actually, the Union Square location was slated to close last week due to a rent dispute, but the people on the phone claimed that they are still a going concern. Either they worked things out, someone is in deep denial, or I was talking to a ghost.

I'll make a few more phone calls before I give in and order online.

Try Record Runner at 5 Jones St., near the corner of W. 4th. It's tiny but the guy loves 80's stuff and is a Moz fan. I am usually able to get the singles in all the formats when I'm in town.

FYI - he gets his shipments on Fridays between 12-2 for albums that are set for release the following Tuesday. If he has YOR and you are discreet he would probably let you get it early. But please, be discreet, he can get in trouble for it.

This store is around the corner from Bleecker Street Recoreds, which is pretty good. The T Sq Virgin was also goo... shame.

Are they having a sale yet? I CLEANED UP when Tower went out of business!!!

Back
Top Bottom