Morrissey's RSD release rescheduled as RSD in June is cancelled

Well, I reported it as a rumour yesterday, but it is now confirmed officially.
Honey, You Know Where To Find Me will now be part of a scheduled 'drop' on either Saturday 29th August, Saturday 26th September or Saturday 24th October.
Liase with your local record shop where possible - as their circumstances and logistics will dictate how to get hold of any vinyl initially designed for RSD.
Also, do re-check the list as some bands have pulled their items and are selling them online instead.

RSD full press release:

rsd20issocialdistancing.png

29th April 2020: In 2020, the world is a different place. And for that reason, Record Store Day has had to adapt to fit into this different place.

Record Store Day will unfortunately no longer be taking place on June 20th.

Instead, the titles on the RSD 2020 official list will be available from independent record shops on one of the three following RSD “Drop” Dates: Saturday 29th August, Saturday 26th September and Saturday 24th October.

A new version of “The List” with assigned release dates will be launched on 1st June and updates will be found on recordstoreday.co.uk and the RSD social media accounts. You can find the participating UK record stores here.

Record Store Day 2020--originally scheduled for April 18 -was bound to look and feel different from any of the previous twelve. Prior events have been as much about the gatherings, parties, concerts and “group hang” element of a celebration as the financial bonus for the record shops.

However, in this unprecedented situation, the focus of these three RSD Drop dates is on supporting the stores, as well as the artists, labels, distribution and every other business behind the scenes making record stores work.

Record Store Day organizers have looked at numerous possible dates and various ways to re-work an event that takes place at thousands of record stores around the world, taking into consideration the varying circumstances and situations they and their customers might find themselves in at any point this year.

This current RSD 2020 plan to spread the spotlight and the support over three months, was made with as much available information as possible, and gives the largest number of stores a chance to participate globally in the strangest Record Store Day ever. RSD will be using the guidance of government and scientific experts to ensure these RSD Drop dates are as socially responsible and safe for all involved as possible. Don't necessarily expect all the normal in-store celebrations and events as these changes have been made to allow customers to get the RSD product safely in a socially distanced world. Our RSD online rules will be adapted in due course in line with retail developments.

To clarify, this year online rules have changed so that shops in the UK can sell online from 6pm. Selling online is a shop by shop decision and will be dependent on the status of the pandemic at the time of these three dates. This is new to all of us and very new to the shops. They are still figuring how to best make this work in the safest and fairest way. They will communicate how they intend to sell these records closer to the time as this is a fast-moving and ever-changing situation.

Fingers crossed for the return of the biggest party of the year on the third Saturday of April 2021. RSD Black Friday is still being planned and is scheduled to take place on November 27

We are aware that this is an ever-changing situation that brings new challenges every day. Please check www.recordstoreday.co.uk for updates.

A large thank you to my Warners contact who tipped me off yesterday - appreciated.
Understandable news, but still a bit disappointing - today's news leaves things a bit more up in the air and if your usual seller isn't open (or has sadly closed up altogether), you may need to broaden your search to track down RSD goodies.
Best of luck.
Regards,
FWD.

Update: the new, updated list with what's being released & when will launch June 1st.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a piece of plastic with a twenty five year old song on it. Do your bit for the environment and don't bother wasting anyone's time with it at all.
First it became hard to keep track of all these re-releases and ‘special’ editions. And then it became hard to keep interested. It really is a case of pop eating itself.

I think the RSD overkill is risky in the long run: Collecting is bound up with completing. The RSDs were a lot of aggro, I missed a couple of Moz related outputs and (given I couldn’t be a completist anymore) subsequent re-releases (RSD and otherwise) became easier and easier to overlook. I’m finding it hard to care about this one now. I suspect I’ll have zero interest in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
First it became hard to keep track of all these re-releases and ‘special’ editions. And then it became hard to keep interested. It really is a case of pop eating itself.

I think the RSD overkill is risky in the long run: Collecting is bound up with completing. The RSD’s were a lot of aggro, I missed a couple of Moz related outputs and (given I couldn’t be a completist anymore) subsequent re-releases (RSD and otherwise) became easier and easier to overlook. I’m finding it hard to care about this one now. I suspect I’ll have zero interest in a few months.
Your patience has no bounds....

I think the RSD overkill is risky in the long run: Collecting is bound up with completing. The RSD’s were a lot of aggro, I missed a couple of Moz related outputs and (given I couldn’t be a completist anymore) subsequent re-releases (RSD and otherwise) became easier and easier to overlook. I’m finding it hard to care about this one now. I suspect I’ll have zero interest in a few months.
I've never had much trouble overlooking the RSD releases. They're overhyped and over priced with very little reward.

totally right,once you miss one then you may as well miss them all.
might go to monorail that day and do a huge shit on their counter.

totally right,once you miss one then you may as well miss them all.
might go to monorail that day and do a huge shit on their counter.

Don't forget to wear a Morrissey T shirt and take a selfie. Morrissey will happily upload it to Central. You might even be used as a stage backdrop.

Don't forget to wear a Morrissey T shirt and take a selfie. Morrissey will happily upload it to Central. You might even be used as a stage backdrop.
gordys only happy when hes shitting on stage,or is that jacky.

I never liked the word 'drop' which seems to have replaced the word 'release'. The English language is being mangled by illiterates.

I've never had much trouble overlooking the RSD releases. They're overhyped and over priced with very little reward.
100% agree. I like it when I see a RSD record in a bargain bin. I came across a few in a Boston record shop a couple of years ago and it was a nice surprise. The cheapness of records in the US was a shock. We are raped in UK and Ireland shops. New releases in the US might be expensive but I saw a lot of heavily discounted records whenever I'm in the US. Bloody prices only go up here in Ireland or on Amazon.

100% agree. I like it when I see a RSD record in a bargain bin. I came across a few in a Boston record shop a couple of years ago and it was a nice surprise. The cheapness of records in the US was a shock. We are raped in UK and Ireland shops. New releases in the US might be expensive but I saw a lot of heavily discounted records whenever I'm in the US. Bloody prices only go up here in Ireland or on Amazon.
Vinyl prices in Australia are ridiculously expensive also. $60 is a common price for an album.

I never liked the word 'drop' which seems to have replaced the word 'release'. The English language is being mangled by illiterates.
I've only ever bought albums that have been released. I've avoided all the ones that dropped.

I really don’t like how Morrissey keeps peddling this old garbage.

This piece of crap will probably end up in his next setlist.

rip off Britain,always has been always will be.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom