"Morrissey's retirement will be the perfect ending" - The Guardian

Good article (with comments) about Morrissey's alleged impending retirement. news to me, and probably to him.

Morrissey's retirement will be the perfect ending by Owen Hatherley - The Guardian
While all the other ageing rockers are reforming and creaking around on stage, Morrissey has decided to bow out with dignity

Also:

Morrissey Announces 2014 Retirement Plans by Todd Gilchrist - Hollywood Reporter. Link posted by yelahderaj (original post).
The 53-year-old singer says he started contemplating the move after "aging a lot recently."

Morrissey: Jag lägger av 2014 - Aftonbladet. Link posted by an anonymous person (original post).

UPDATE June 8, 11:30AM PT:

Uncleskinny also sends the link (scan of paper edition in original post):

In praise of ... getting off the stage - The Guardian
Though we will miss the music, Morrissey's plan to retire at 55 means he will at least retain the dignity lacking in others

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a joke, you dullard. The guy sounded like you on one of your anti-Morrissey rants. Hence the comparison

Roll with the punches. Stop taking life -- and life at So-low -- so seriously

It was a joke, you dullard. The guy sounded like you on one of your anti-Morrissey rants. Hence the comparison

It wasn't a joke; you just said something dumb and then realized you were wrong. Stop trying to cover up your ignorance. Me showing you to be the simpleton that you are has little to do with how seriously I do or don't take things, which is my business to begin with.

Looolz you are such a melodramatic little bitch, getting all buttsore about a little jab on the internet. Do you cry when you get skinned knees or stub your toes, too?

I don't recall "realizing I was wrong" about anything, either. How do you know? It's MY business whether I think I'm wrong or not, and not for you to say

pretty comical to hear a guy who thinks the Gastank Anthem are in the same echelon as Nirvana and the Beatles accusing me of saying dumb shit.

Let's get somewhat back on topic and hear why you think "Your Arsenal" is so poorly mixed

if you can back such a claim up, that is.

I don't like that Alain's leads are buried. They're really beautiful and strong and they're buried.

Spencer's drums, too. They're kept a secret. They're like the retarded sister you don't want anyone to know about. (Except they're not retarded.)

What Steve Peck did to Tomorrow should have done to the entire record.

Saying "chrisaclark = skylarker pen name" makes it a statement rather than a comparison.

I don't like that Alain's leads are buried. They're really beautiful and strong and they're buried.

Spencer's drums, too. They're kept a secret. They're like the retarded sister you don't want anyone to know about. (Except they're not retarded.)

Steve Peck used elements completely different from what appears on Arsenal.

I've been listening to YA for about 17 years now, and I've never thought it sounded anything short of awesome, mix-wise

this is coming from somebody who takes a little bit of liberty in considering himself an audiophile. I generally buy high-end gear, use expensive headphones, and will even go as far as to dig up the individual audio stems of songs/albums I susupect of sounding "not right".

But to hear some of you here criticize and scrutinize Morrissey's stuff like this fascinates me. Maybe I'm too busy enjoying the msuic or the playing to let what the producer's done really affect me in such a way...?

it's like when Marr was talking about the Smiths remasters, and he claimed there was "all this ugly stuff" that was added to the compact discs back in '87 or whenever they came out. I had no idea what he was referring to, and neither did anybody else apparently, because nobody ventured a guess when I made a thread asking about it.

I'll go home tonight and listen to YA (on vinyl) and try to see it from your point of view, in regards to the leads and the drums

I don't see how saying someone is wrong is dramatic to anyone...

It's whatever. I don't want to get on your bad side with pettiness because I saw what you did to that anonymous guy who was trying to get DavidT to apologize to Morrissey and it made me a fan of yours

Fond memories. Good stuff

I may have romantic nostalgia tied into buying the cassingle, but I doubt that's it. Where Ronson's version implies, Peck's mix screams. I understand the romance of subtlety but it's a rock song, and a single. I like the immediacy of Peck's version; the album mix sounds muddy and unconfident.

It's whatever. I don't want to get on your bad side with pettiness because I saw what you did to that anonymous guy who was trying to get DavidT to apologize to Morrissey and it made me a fan of yours

Fond memories. Good stuff

I don't mean for you to think I'm getting agitated or anything. I can see where both of you are coming from...

so is that whole rumour about you being !VivaHate! in disguise true or what?

You can PM me the answer if you don't want to blow your cover

so is that whole rumour about you being !VivaHate! in disguise true or what?

You can PM me the answer if you don't want to blow your cover

I wasn't aware that there was a rumor of that going around, save the same person under various usernames and anonymous postings. Viva is my fiance, living with him will undoubtedly rub off on you...

I may have romantic nostalgia tied into buying the cassingle, but I doubt that's it. Where Ronson's version implies, Peck's mix screams. I understand the romance of subtlety but it's a rock song, and a single. I like the immediacy of Peck's version; the album mix sounds muddy and unconfident.

To answer the question you posted and then deleted:

I don't like the vocal take on the Peck mix.
I don't like the over use of echo, especially on the guitars at the end.
I don't like the piano outro being lopped off.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom