Morrisseys Ouvre

I remember Peter Shelly had a ZX Spectrum programme on his XL1 album that played graphics and the lyrics via the computer.

Yes, my friend had a copy of the album and I had a Speccy so we tried it out. Biggest problem was that the turntable was slightly fast so the music and the program slowly drifted out of sync. But it was still fairly cool.

Does anyone here agree that Viva Hate is a superior record to Strangeways?

Nope.

In my opinion (and I know I'm going to get roasted for this) Strangeways is the Smiths' definitive album and superior to the other three albums.
Viva Hate has some great songs, some fantastic b-sides, but as an album it's flawed.

(I still love it to bits though.)

Nope.

In my opinion (and I know I'm going to get roasted for this) Strangeways is the Smiths' definitive album and superior to the other three albums.
Viva Hate has some great songs, some fantastic b-sides, but as an album it's flawed.

(I still love it to bits though.)
Morrissey and Marr agree with you of course, but I couldn't disagree more. Taking out the singles collections, I rate them: 1)TQID 2)TS 3) MIM 4)SHWC

Morrissey and Marr agree with you of course, but I couldn't disagree more. Taking out the singles collections, I rate them: 1)TQID 2)TS 3) MIM 4)SHWC

I think ranking the albums is rather pointless because they're all great and have their place, but for me personally Meat Is Murder is superior to The Queen Is Dead and I have a soft spot for the songs on the debut.

I think ranking the albums is rather pointless because they're all great and have their place, but for me personally Meat Is Murder is superior to The Queen Is Dead and I have a soft spot for the songs on the debut.
I can no longer listen to the songs Meat is Murder or Barbarism Begins at Home, so that pushes MIM down on my list. Queen is flawless.

I can no longer listen to the songs Meat is Murder or Barbarism Begins at Home, so that pushes MIM down on my list. Queen is flawless.

I don't like The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (shocking).

What I love about Meat Is Murder (and also about Strangeways) is that it's more diverse (musically and lyrically) than TQID and I also think it sounds best production-wise.

One thing that is really great on TQID is Morrissey's vocals.

Barbarism goes on a bit - but I love Meat Is Murder, he sings it very sincerely, but it's such a grisly domestic horror that you could easily sing it as a comedy song - like this one.

What I love about Meat Is Murder (and also about Strangeways) is that it's more diverse (musically and lyrically) than TQID and I also think it sounds best production-wise.

Yes those albums have great production. But Strangeways is strangely missing the heart of the other albums. Only Last Night I Dreamt Someone Love Me and I Won't Share You really move me anymore.

I like his voice on Boy With A Thorn.

I like his voice on Boy With A Thorn.
Me too. It's the music I have issues with. I really can't stand the guitar 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes those albums have great production. But Strangeways is strangely missing the heart of the other albums. Only Last Night I Dreamt Someone Love Me and I Won't Share You really move me anymore.
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours is one of my favourite Smiths songs. His voice is so otherworldly and his enunciation so precise. He puts so much emphasis and meaning into every syllable. And that is very much true for every song on Strangeways.
But it's no use arguing about which album we prefer, it's not like we have to choose just one for the rest of our lives.

To me The Boy with the Thorn in his Side is his statement of purpose! It encapsulate Morrisseyness so well!
"Behind the hatred there lies
A murderous desire for love
How can they look into my eyes
And still they don't believe me?"

Barbarism goes on a bit - but I love Meat Is Murder, he sings it very sincerely, but it's such a grisly domestic horror that you could easily sing it as a comedy song - like this one.

My favourite thing about the Meat Is Murder is the hypnotic circular guitar. It gives the song extra creepy vibes. It's almost like an incantation.

To me The Boy with the Thorn in his Side is his statement of purpose! It encapsulate Morrisseyness so well!
"Behind the hatred there lies
A murderous desire for love
How can they look into my eyes
And still they don't believe me?"
I agree, the lyrics are great.
I think I would be fine with it if they'd kept it as a non-album single. But on the album it's impossible to avoid.

Last edited:
I'm shocked every time I hear this... that melody descended from Heaven as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sorry you have to go through this again :oops:

Does anyone here agree that Viva Hate is a superior record to Strangeways?

No, not really. I find EDILS as a song superior to any of the 10 songs on Strangeways, just because it is such a heavenly pop song. But the collection of songs on Strangeways is peerless: they cover a broad range of musical styles and never failed, Morrissey's singing was strong, at times playful and at other times really touching, great lyrics overall.

Viva Hate definitely has its moments and merits, still a very lovely record. But to me, the last couple of songs are simply fine instead of great.

I'm shocked every time I hear this... that melody descended from Heaven as far as I'm concerned.
You're right (for once!) Amy. The guitar line is nothing short of heavenly. When Steve starts yodelling along to it in the final section, it's the most exquisite 45 seconds of music ever made. End of!

Back
Top Bottom