'Morrissey's old house' in Bowdon now on AirBnb

UPDATE: Eagle-eyed posters have pointed out that this is not Beech Mount, the house in Bowdon that Morrissey was/is known to own on Bowdon Road. It's clearly nearby - anybody know anything about Morrissey owning another house/apartment in Bowdon?

As already mentioned in the Morrissey's December Speech thread. Not sure if this has previously been discussed here but it was news to me.

"Superb location, Edwardian mansion house apartment
Hosted by Ruth & Neil
A lovely duplex apartment - once the home of Morrissey - in an Edwardian mansion house on the leafy Bowdon/Altrincham border."

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13134090

41858_altrincham_airbnb.jpg

Last edited:
This is the episode that was filmed at his house. It looks sort of similar.

This is the episode that was filmed at his house. It looks sort of similar.

It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to know that this is not Beechwood. Sorry I couldn’t resist it. Yes I know GRANADA TV filmed at Beechwood many many moons ago.
Pilgrimupnorth

Just got back from the pub and have been discussing this. One of my mates has had his own gym in Hale Barns for years, he doesn't know about Morrissey living in Bowden but is sure he had a house in Castle Way, Hale Barnes, which is only a mile or so from Bowden. He is also sure that Johnny had a house called Forest Edge on Charcoal Road in Bowden?

Just got back from the pub and have been discussing this. One of my mates has had his own gym in Hale Barns for years, he doesn't know about Morrissey living in Bowden but is sure he had a house in Castle Way, Hale Barnes, which is only a mile or so from Bowden. He is also sure that Johnny had a house called Forest Edge on Charcoal Road in Bowden?
Aha, the plot thickens! I don't know the area at all - would Hale Barns fit within the location map on the AirBnb site?

í know nothing about any of this.
But, í do know that Freddie Flintoff once got a 'colonic' in Hale Barnes. once and never again. it was just on the radio.

bed-time...

Definitely not his /his mum’s house. Still owned by Morrissey according to the lamd registry.

Opposite his house is a school with a brick wall, not another house. The air b and b is in Bentinck Road nearby. Quite misleading. Dunno if Morrissey ever owned a place on Bentinck Road. But if not, that’s a cheeky missell by the air b and b owners.

Yes it does. You're right. How very curious. And the drive looks shorter (unless that's the camera angle). Possible explanations?
1) Morrissey never lived there - the current owners made a mistake
2) Morrissey owned two houses in Bowdon
3) The owners took the gates off, and the drive is longer than it looks here
4) Anything else?

No the air b and property is in bowdon, about 200 yards from mozzer’s house.

Aha, the plot thickens! I don't know the area at all - would Hale Barns fit within the location map on the AirBnb site?

Nope, house is in bowdon, not hale barns. Johnny Marr lives in hale barns and has done for decades.

And the wall from the school opposite, not another house. This is fake news!!!

Any road. Beechmount has large black ornate metal gates at the end of the driveway. Sorry to disappoint

Pilgrimupnorth

Having been a visitor to Beechmount and with my mother having attended the school in front of Beechmount, I can confirm that this is not it.

But, í do know that Freddie Flintoff once got a 'colonic' in Hale Barnes. once and never again. it was just on the radio.

bed-time...

It’s Hale Barns for the record. All part of that same south Manchester/Cheshire footballer wealthy Manc territory. I’m sure in the 80s I read that M had a place in Hale Barns. It’s only 10 mins from Bowdon.
Charcoal Rd is indeed where JM lives. I have a friend who fitted his radiators.
Therefore it’s a 5 minute drive from Johnny Marr’s house to Beechwood (house M still owns). Must have been awkward when The Smiths first split. No wonder M disappeared to London/Dublin/LA.
Mike Joyce is often knocking about Altrincham. It’s all very strange how in a way they’ve remained close (geographically). No doubt M will be at Beechmount for Christmas.
Pilgrimupnorth

And the wall from the school opposite, not another house. This is fake news!!!
Don't be silly. I posted it in good faith, having stumbled on the AirBnB by accident. I thought it would interest people. I was only going on what the owners said. And it is possible this was another house/apartment Morrissey owned or rented, since nobody seems to know for sure.

So this is a lie?
No, not a lie. I didn't make anything up - I just posted what I saw because I thought people would like to know. I assumed it was Beech Mount but it's clearly not. But perhaps it's another property Morrissey owned. Or perhaps the owners have made a mistake - perhaps someone should ring and ask them :)

No, not a lie. I didn't make anything up - I just posted what I saw because I thought people would like to know. I assumed it was Beech Mount but it's clearly not. But perhaps it's another property Morrissey owned. Or perhaps the owners have made a mistake - perhaps someone should ring and ask them :)
what would now be a great extension to this thread Is whether we can name all the houses or thereabouts where M has lived. There will be someone somewhere who knows pretty much 90% of the answers.
Pilgrimupnorth

bed-time...

yes I’m sure there are many options for a colonic in Hale Barns. It’s that kind of place.
Pilgrimupnorth

Maybe they were talking about the neighborhood?

Maybe they were talking about the neighborhood?

I don't think so. They are quite specific: "A lovely duplex apartment - once the home of Morrissey". But the way they have worded that has made me think, maybe the apartment only was Morrissey's, and not the whole house like I imagined.

what would now be a great extension to this thread Is whether we can name all the houses or thereabouts where M has lived. There will be someone somewhere who knows pretty much 90% of the answers.
Pilgrimupnorth

What we really need is for someone to email 'Ruth and Neil' using the AirBnB enquiry form and ask them what they know... I just don't think I have enough brass neck!

Since you were cheeky enough to go and knock on Morrissey's door, Pilgrim, this sounds, like a job for you!

Once you make a reservation, they give you the address, you can cancel later. I nominate Pilgrimulpnorth too.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom