Morrissey's new covers album - what do we know about it so far?

Yes, I think at this point there is no way it is going to be released in March.
May/June at the earliest, or after the Summer.

It would be tempting to think that BMG is getting cold feet about releasing another Morrissey album, but on the other hand he hasn't done anything controversial since last summer, so financing the album would have been a curious move for BMG, had they any plans about giving Morrissey the boot. But postponing the release seems strange as well, especially as the tracklisting has been made public.

Didn’t the same thing happen around the release of lihs the delux edition occur. People were expecting an announcement sooner and thought something was wrongness and then like a month before it’s release they made one

It would be tempting to think that BMG is getting cold feet about releasing another Morrissey album, but on the other hand he hasn't done anything controversial since last summer, so financing the album would have been a curious move for BMG, had they any plans about giving Morrissey the boot. But postponing the release seems strange as well, especially as the tracklisting has been made public.

’It would be tempting to think that BMG is getting cold feet about releasing another Morrissey album, but on the other hand he hasn't done anything controversial since last summer’

Maybe because he hasn’t done anything ‘controversial’ since last summer could be the problem with BMG, since controversy helps to sell records, it’s probably one of the reasons they signed him in the first place, I mean, beside him being a living legend and all.

:cool:

Last edited:
’It would be tempting to think that BMG is getting cold feet about releasing another Morrissey album, but on the other hand he hasn't done anything controversial since last summer’

Maybe because he hasn’t done anything ‘controversial’ since last summer could be the problem with BMG, since controversy helps to sell records, it’s probably one of the reasons they signed him in the first place, I mean, beside him being a living legend and all.

A Legend I agree with however everything in the main music mags I have read lately seem to be even more negative towards him.....I wonder if even the might of the BMG PR machine can overcome this...I mean lets be realistic outside of his fanbase who even knew BOTCG was released which in my opinion if pushed by BMG was his most accesable release in a long while....but no real promotion.....That and the only news of California Son that I'm aware of came from Morrissey Central not official BMG channels

Despite the lack of promotion/marketing for the last few singles, how are people measuring BMG's support for the album to form an opinion?
(In terms of releasing it - not promotion - we know that will be crap).
There has been a pattern behind each release so far and it will probably be the same this time round.
We've already managed to go from 1 translated article saying March to it can't be coming out in March to BMG might not want to support it...
And there's no bloody decent, solid information to support any hyperbole.
It's recorded - if they coughed up for that then it's probably coming out.
What happens next is: usually, a FB group cretin reads all this and then spreads around how the album isn't happening 'cause they read it here definitely.

Personally, without feeding rumour mills or trying to second guess things we have no idea about yet,
based on previous patterns (all things that have occurred several/many times before):
The Iron Bridge will probably mock up a cover and it will be shared here and on FB as 'real' and people will debate how terrible the cover is.
Look to Central for a post which will basically be the Press release/maybe album art ->
Then look to Indie record shops / music press to repeat the information (possibly even before Central) ->
HMV list it for sale ->
Amazon list it last and change listing/fulfilled details several times (just to give people who won't believe it's coming out anxiety if it's not on Amazon....).
Morrissey Central/Official FB will post details of digital formats et al with links.
As for when... well, probably closer to March?
I really don't think that not having any information right now is an indicator of anything whatsoever in the world of Morrissey releases.
Regards,
FWD.

Despite the lack of promotion/marketing for the last few singles, how are people measuring BMG's support for the album to form an opinion?
There has been a pattern behind each release so far and it will probably be the same this time round.
We've already managed to go from 1 translated article saying March to it can't be coming out in March to BMG might not want to support it...
What happens next is: usually, a FB group cretin reads all this and then spreads around how the album isn't happening 'cause they read it here definitely.

Personally, without feeding rumour mills or trying to second guess things we have no idea about yet,
based on previous patterns (all things that have occurred several/many times before):
The Iron Bridge will probably mock up a cover and it will be shared here and on FB as 'real' and people will debate how terrible the cover is.
Look to Central for a post which will basically be the Press release/maybe album art ->
Then look to Indie record shops / music press to repeat the information (possibly even before Central) ->
HMV list it for sale ->
Amazon list it last and change listing/fulfilled details several times (just to give people who won't believe it's coming out anxiety if it's not on Amazon....).
Morrissey Central/Official FB will post details of digital formats et al with links.
I really don't think that not having any information right now is an indicator of anything whatsoever in the world of Morrissey releases.
Regards,
FWD.
I dont think anyone is saying that its not gonna come out....it just all seems a little quiet for a proposed March release....I'M a huge fan and cant wait for it however no-one knows how the fallout from his comments last year will impact on sales and BMG will be tracking that and weighing up how much support they will give in Marketing budget....also no word in 2019 album previews is a little worrying about not just this but the proposed Jan recording sessions for presumably late 2019 release

HMV list it for sale ->
Regards,
FWD.

Don´t know how much promotion you can expect for some 7"-only single-releases for his hardcore-fanbase? Same with the Deluxe-LIHS with 3 so la la new songs and some bad live ones. Chain Gang had a promo video and some TV-promotion at last.
And you have to admit, Morrissey isn´t easy to promote with him refusing to speak to the papers and all the bullshit he told in 2018. Cancelling the summer dates with no or only some silly explaination wasn´t helpful as well.

I don´t expect much promotion for California Son as well, because the last to Morrissey-Albums weren´t big sellers and a covers album will sell even less. Morrissey will get 60 very soon and I am very happy when I get some new songs with his lovely singing voice some day. If not in march, than later in 2019. We can be happy if BMG will release them. It´s ok for me, even without promotion!

Last edited:
Don´t know how much promotion you can expect for some 7"-only single-releases for his hardcore-fanbase? Same with the Deluxe-LIHS with 3 so la la new songs and some bad live ones. Chain Gang had a promo video and some TV-promotion at last.
And you have to admit, Morrissey isn´t easy to promote with him refusing to speak to the papers and all the bullshit he told in 2018. Cancelling the summer dates with no or only some silly explaination wasn´t helpful as well.

I don´t expect much promotion for California Son as well, because the last to Morrissey-Albums weren´t big sellers and a covers album will sell even less. Morrissey will get 60 very soon and I am very happy when I get some new songs with his lovely singing voice some day. If not in march, than later in 2019. We can be happy if BMG will release them. It´s ok for me, even without promotion!

Totally agree. I'm sure the whole idea of even releasing 7-inch singles is Morrissey's own and BMG did him a favour to allow them to happen. Expecting them to promote them in any meaningful way is asking for the moon, since the pressings were so small and LIHS had been and gone.

However, the speculation about January 2019 studio sessions can't have been anything else than a pipe dream. I find hard to believe that BMG would finance another album before waiting to see how California Son is received. Even though I obviously haven't heard a note of California Son, I still consider it as a misstep and a lost opportunity to record some new Morrissey material. Since he works so fast in the studio, he should have recorded a proper album and a deluxe bonus ep/minialbum/album of covers to be sold with the new album. Recording 20 songs in a month is nothing new to him.

Totally agree. I'm sure the whole idea of even releasing 7-inch singles is Morrissey's own and BMG did him a favour to allow them to happen. Expecting them to promote them in any meaningful way is asking for the moon, since the pressings were so small and LIHS had been and gone.

However, the speculation about January 2019 studio sessions can't have been anything else than a pipe dream. I find hard to believe that BMG would finance another album before waiting to see how California Son is received. Even though I obviously haven't heard a note of California Son, I still consider it as a misstep and a lost opportunity to record some new Morrissey material. Since he works so fast in the studio, he should have recorded a proper album and a deluxe bonus ep/minialbum/album of covers to be sold with the new album. Recording 20 songs in a month is nothing new to him.

We don't know what sort of deal it is though. It may be a distribution deal where he finances the recording and they distribute the end product?

Controversy helps sell records? No evidence at all that this is the case for Steve at least. The sheer ugliness of him publicly supporting right wing parties, and sympathising with Extremist poster boys such as Johnny Robinson is what caused his uk fan base to shatter last summer.either he retracts his support for these people, or his fan base and future recording career will continue to wither.

We don't know what sort of deal it is though. It may be a distribution deal where he finances the recording and they distribute the end product?

The idea of Morrissey financing anything substantial doesn't really ring true. Not only has he a reputation of being stingy, he wants to be on a major label in order to have some financial muscle behind him. If he paid for his own recordings, we might have the aural equivalent of the Kiss Me A Lot video.

Controversy helps sell records? No evidence at all that this is the case for Steve at least. The sheer ugliness of him publicly supporting right wing parties, and sympathising with Extremist poster boys such as Johnny Robinson is what caused his uk fan base to shatter last summer.either he retracts his support for these people, or his fan base and future recording career will continue to wither.

The saying "Any publicity is good publicity" might have been true once, but not any more in the days of #metoo and political correctness. I wonder how Gary Glitter's record sales have been in the last few decades.

The saying "Any publicity is good publicity" might have been true once, but not any more in the days of #metoo and political correctness. I wonder how Gary Glitter's record sales have been in the last few decades.

I think you mean to say... I wonder how good Gary Glitters records have been in the last few decades.

And Gary’s controversy is different than the so called ‘controversy’ of Morrissey’s mere statements, can’t believe you’re comparing the two.

The idea of Morrissey financing anything substantial doesn't really ring true. Not only has he a reputation of being stingy, he wants to be on a major label in order to have some financial muscle behind him. If he paid for his own recordings, we might have the aural equivalent of the Kiss Me A Lot video.

Could be wrong, but wasn’t it WPINOYB the record that he financed the recording of then sold to be distributed?

A Legend I agree with however everything in the main music mags I have read lately seem to be even more negative towards him.....I wonder if even the might of the BMG PR machine can overcome this...I mean lets be realistic outside of his fanbase who even knew BOTCG was released which in my opinion if pushed by BMG was his most accesable release in a long while....but no real promotion.....That and the only news of California Son that I'm aware of came from Morrissey Central not official BMG channels

Nothing new. The media and music press have always twisted what Morrissey has said or done to create controversy to sell their product, these days it’s all clickbait.

‘Stick in the knife’

Well, maybe Moz simply leaked the tracklisting and release date on a South American website to put pressure on BMG on releasing it.
BMG seem very hesitant to release it now.
Maybe BMG is unhappy about CS for not having any single material to promote it with.

Also, I think Moz will be quite disappointed about BMG’s support for Chain Gang, which in the UK didn’t get past the C-listings. It certainly would have had a better chance had it been released as the lead-off single for CS but Moz probably demanded it to be released on its own.

It’s all speculation, but a March release for CS seems out of the question.

Also, I think Moz will be quite disappointed about BMG’s support for Chain Gang, which in the UK didn’t get past the C-listings. It certainly would have had a better chance had it been released as the lead-off single for CS but Moz probably demanded it to be released on its own.

Looking at the track listing, Chain Gang wouldn't quite fit on California Son. The Pretenders were an English-American band and their music was pretty much in the British rock tradition then, so it wouldn't be a representative taster for an album which gives tribute to American music. Plus since Morrissey has played it live for a while now, it clearly belongs to the LIHS era. (Although that wouldn't matter a jot to the casual listener.)

Back
Top Bottom