Morrissey's new album 'a stunning career high' review by Eamon Carr - Irish Independent

That is exactly what it is. It is an astounding accomplishment. Anyone who complains about it is surely missing something. I have listened to it a dozen times now and each listen has been more pleasant. Songs like Staircase and Mountjoy are instant classics in his canon. Thank you, Morrissey and band. Thank you.

That's a very glib review. It's a good record; certainly not his best.

"Career high" doesn't mean "best". You can have several career highs, but only one best. And since "best" is highly subjective anyway, that's probably why the reviewer chose his words more carefully than you.

tralala your comment is glib - this new collection of Morrissey songs is a landmark and we can only hope for less touring and more important recordings such as these - Its a brilliant masterpiece hands down.

I've listened to World Peace from beginning to end four times now. I cannot say I'm desperate to revisit it again as a whole. Let me hum a tune from it... Errrr... I can't. Rossini once said of Wagner he has beautiful moments but awful quarter hours. World Peace brought that to my mind halfway through track two.

It's certainly better than Kill Uncle, Maladjusted, Ringleaders and Refusal, but not as good as Viva Hate, Vauxhall, Your Arsenal or Quarry.

It is Southpaw Grammar without the tunes. That's not damning it with faint praise. Grammar is the great lost Morrissey album, and the years have been kind to it. Maybe the same will one day be said of World Peace Is None Of Your Business, an album that seems to have been built from the title up.

Elsewhere I have mentioned parts of World Peace seem to be squeezing too many syllables into too few lines. It is almost as if he has either decided he has too much to say in too little time or he left his Roget's Thesaurus on a plane. It is more than once lyrically clunky. Ill in Seville? Mad in Madrid? Must try harder in Guadalajara.

World Peace is not a career high. It is not even a solo career high. It's somewhere in the middle. It is nice to hear that lovely voice again, even if, as we have known for some time, it has nothing new to say.

He’s had many highs IMO so it’s not out of line to call this a high. :) But I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it seemed like we wouldn’t even get a new album just a couple years ago. Five years is a long time to wait!

That is exactly what it is. It is an astounding accomplishment. Anyone who complains about it is surely missing something. I have listened to it a dozen times now and each listen has been more pleasant. Songs like Staircase and Mountjoy are instant classics in his canon. Thank you, Morrissey and band. Thank you.

Bravo King Kong. I wish I wrote this. It's exactly how I feel. "Staircase" is the new "first of the ". Can u imagine the live sing-a- long in Jakarta?

I've listened to World Peace from beginning to end four times now. I cannot say I'm desperate to revisit it again as a whole. Let me hum a tune from it... Errrr... I can't. Rossini once said of Wagner he has beautiful moments but awful quarter hours. World Peace brought that to my mind halfway through track two.

FOUR times and you can't hum a tune from it?

I can't stop every tune from playing in my head constantly, and that was since the second listen (album proper, quite a few of those b-sides took more time to sort the melodies out, but after half a dozen listens I've got them in my head too).

I mean, I think these are some commanding songs and grip me, but to suggest they don't even have a memorable hook among them is to suggest you have a hard time hearing.

FOUR times and you can't hum a tune from it?

I can't stop every tune from playing in my head constantly, and that was since the second listen (album proper, quite a few of those b-sides took more time to sort the melodies out, but after half a dozen listens I've got them in my head too).

I mean, I think these are some commanding songs and grip me, but to suggest they don't even have a memorable hook among them is to suggest you have a hard time hearing.

Are you seriously telling me there is a melody of the calibre of First Of The Gang To Die, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris or You Have Killed Me on this album? If you are it is you who needs the hearing test.

Are you seriously telling me there is a melody of the calibre of First Of The Gang To Die, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris or You Have Killed Me on this album? If you are it is you who needs the hearing test.

Oh, certainly.

I'm Not a Man
Staircase at the University
The Bullfighter Dies
Smiler with Knife
Earth is the Loneliest Planet
Mountjoy
Oboe Concerto
Scandinavia
Art Hounds

You said "of the calibre". I'm not dismissing those three songs or even saying they're lesser, as they're among the highlights of his last three very lovely albums.

BUT you're also moving the goal posts. We weren't even discussing quality except in the memorability of melodies, and even bad songs can have memorable melodies. And you're telling me that after FOUR listens you still can't hum The Bullfighter Dies" or any of those other songs. I'm just saying, is your humming box broken?

#FanFiction #ItsNOTBrummieBoy #TheManWhoTrolledTheWorld #WorldPeaceIsNoneOfYourBusiness Dear Reader. Dear Diary. Dear Doctor.

We were carousing till dawn on The Green Mile, *wondering* how Davie Bowie managed to maintain security and privacy over "The Next Day" yet Morrissey's new album is already in a "leeches keep removing" damage limitation situation. Wazzup? When Morrissey was recording the demos of AIMMN, KAL & PATSE in Dublin, some of those present knew of Bowie's plans as did other trusted confidents.....including Morrissey? *popcorn*

However, nobody who knew broke the fatwa, unlike with this release whereby an openly disrespectful or vindictive leak has put the cat amongst the pigeons. The real question is: Who orchestrated the leak of WPINOYB? Why were advance copies even allowed? Why was the stunning security blanket around "Autobiography" not replicated? Was it a catastrophic lack of confidence from Harvest Records about the rough mixes from France that predicate an announcement? Or was it due to someone else's catastrophic lack of confidence about "shock'n'awe" take 2?

Who is now conducting the album release autopsy? Where is Morrissey? *thinking* For the record: I didn't leak it, nor did anyone else I know on the West London dinner party circuit as those who'd heard it were almost universally effusive in praise and hoped for a successful 'big bang' release. That's in ruins now. So, who leaked it? When? Why? *double popcorn: salty and sweet flavas*. The answer to that question may shock and surprise you. I *think* I can make an educated guess but as the famous bond clip teaches us "Names Are For Tombstones, Baby". Yes, NamesR4Graves , so I'm just going to "Live And Let Live with regards to this latest security breach, as it's all useful learning experiences/teachable moments 'going forward' with any prospective/proposed/possible/posthumous projects by "BrummieBoy". Get well, Morrissey. And come back fists swinging......because......#boyskeepswinging......

best wishes

"BowieBoy" aka "Mr Big" aka "BondBoy" aka "PinkFloyBoy" aka:

"BrummieBoy"

Message channeled from Birmingham Town Hall & "Northpaw Comprehensive"
St Patricks Day 17th March 1972

Bowie on stage at Birmingham (Photo and words by Mick Rock

"The venue is half-empty, and those in attendance are more spellbound than boisterous, but Bowie performs with the energy and fervour of a man with a goal. He seems totally out of context in such dull surroundings"

Bowie backstage at Birmingham (Photo and words by Mick Rock)

"When I first met David Bowie we swapped anecdotes; he wanted to hear about Syd Barrett and I wanted to know about Lou Reed and Iggy Pop. We talked about how Syd had had it all. Syd and David were similar in the way that neither of them sang like an American. At that time there was a big American influence on music, but Syd and David went against that and sang in a British way. David was very aware of Syd; very interested in him. Of course, in 1973 David did a cover version of 'See Emily Play' for his Pin Ups album. There were many parallels between Syd and David early on; although clearly David had a much tougher psyche. David's 'The Man Who Sold The World' always makes me think of Syd. It's a perfect description of him."

http://www.5years.com/shape.htm

"World Peace Is None Of Your Business" will be available for purchase on Monday 14th July 2014.

http://www.worldpeaceisnoneofyourbusiness.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Without the bonus tracks the album is a 7. There are at least four disposable songs, maybe more. Stop calling it a "landmark."

you learn something new every day. I never knew heaven knows i'm miserable now was morrissey's first hit. with that depth of knowledge about the artist what can his opinion that it is a 'career high' possibly mean.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom