Morrissey's new album 'a stunning career high' review by Eamon Carr - Irish Independent

Yeah, but you've had it on eight track in your De Lorean for months haven't you, Marty McFly? You decided it was unparalleled in the history of music on the day Elvis first set foot in Sun Records.

It's a mediocre release. He's done far worse, but he's done far better, but there's the rub. For some of you saying it is OK is a thought crime in itself. Apparently if you don't think it is a cross between Highway 61 Revisited, Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds you are a heretic.

What more do you need to know about today's average Morrissey fan?

You’re not alone. I posted on my Facebook asking for opinions from those who’ve heard it and I seem to be in the minority in thinking it’s great. I know a lot of fans have said that they outright hate it so far.

It's at least the 3rd or 4th review that states this!

The music journalist that signed this article is also a musician . Most of the fans that listened to the album agree it's great. So I don't understand some of the comments here.

Some of you may not agree, and that's OK, but that should not diminish everybody else's opinion.

How can any of you here state that this entire collection of new songs is good? I would say that it is "landmark" and memorable because it is he nadir of Morrissey's lyrical and musical output. I have a friend who is a casual fan--not as serious as I once was--and he even stated that this is very lackluster and that the lyrics are some of his worst and devoid of creativity.

There is no way any of these songs can stand next to Interesting Drug, TFOTGTD, Disappointed, Maudlin Street, Reader Meet Author, etc. Seriously folks--we all wanted this to be a great, playable release, but those who buy it will not be having it on repeat. Most likely it will end up on the bottom of the stack of Morrissey CDs--right next to Ringleader.

The music--how bad!

Morrissey--you have lost it. Where is the fire and vigor--the creativity from the Viva, Bona, Vauxhall years?

We can pray that the next single will be "Julie in the weeds". I didn't like a lot "Paris" but it sounds like a hit, between "Paris" and "everyday is...". I like so much. It will be the best single from so much time. It's gorgeous and his voice so beautiful. I like too "i'm not a man" though it's not for a single. I can compare with "i know it's over".it's so theatrical expressive and he sings to my heart here. Thanks so much Moz. (Sorry for my english.I'm french...)

Julie in the Weeds is a bonus track, I can't imagine it being a single.

If there is a single to be had on this record it's "Kiss Me A Lot"

Yeah, but you've had it on eight track in your De Lorean for months haven't you, Marty McFly? You decided it was unparalleled in the history of music on the day Elvis first set foot in Sun Records.

Typical nonsense. Never said any of that, Gnarleyknackers, you joyless husk of a human being.

It's a mediocre release. He's done far worse, but he's done far better, but there's the rub. For some of you saying it is OK is a thought crime in itself. Apparently if you don't think it is a cross between Highway 61 Revisited, Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds you are a heretic.

Nobody said any of those things either. It must be the voices in your head again. Kill Uncle is a mediocre release. Perhaps Maladjusted too. But this is far, far better. Just how good, time will tell. I've said nothing other than I'm enjoying it, and I like a lot of the songs... If you don't like it, well, you've always got your Gene collection back at the bedsit.

What more do you need to know about today's average Morrissey fan?

That they like Morrissey records? I know, I know. It's a terrible crime and all. Why don't you borrow the De Lorean yourself and toddle off back to 1985. The political love of your life will in power and you'll probably have hair too.

Bravo King Kong. I wish I wrote this. It's exactly how I feel. "Staircase" is the new "first of the ". Can u imagine the live sing-a- long in Jakarta?

One can only hope SOMETHING replaces FOTG. I, for one, could stand to see it retired from the set list permanently.

All these haters, all these "fans" bashing the album...this is absolutely unfair. WPINOYB is indeed a great record. Stop comparing the Morrissey of today to a 25-year-ago Morrissey. His songs continue to be pleasant enough, more than enough... Anyone who overlooks this is missing out on some serious stuff...

I have listened to this album about 20 times now, and everytime I have discovered something new...a new vocal hook, a new musical bit, a new lyric...it's all so catchy and beautiful, intelligent music.

I really don't know what goes on in people's minds here.

Mountjoy, for instance, is one of the most Beautiful things Morrissey has written since Suffer little children...I really mean that.

I am almost sure the people here who are complaining are that kind of people who would act blase even if there was a The queen is dead part 2 that remained unreleased in The Smiths' canon.

I am baffled to read such comments...they do noting but detract from the beauties of a remarkably stunning album.

Aren't you guys pissed off at Morrissey ( or life ) for any other reason and than take it out on Morrissey's latest accomplishment?

Wolrd peace, Neal Cassady, Istambul, Earth, Staircase, Bullfighter, Mountjoy, Drag the river, Art hounds...Kiss me a lot...there is more than enough tracks here for you to get over your grumpiness and sing like there is no tomorrrow.

I am actually very thankful, happy and absolutely thrilled with this record.

Last edited:
How can any of you here state that this entire collection of new songs is good? I would say that it is "landmark" and memorable because it is he nadir of Morrissey's lyrical and musical output. I have a friend who is a casual fan--not as serious as I once was--and he even stated that this is very lackluster and that the lyrics are some of his worst and devoid of creativity.

There is no way any of these songs can stand next to Interesting Drug, TFOTGTD, Disappointed, Maudlin Street, Reader Meet Author, etc. Seriously folks--we all wanted this to be a great, playable release, but those who buy it will not be having it on repeat. Most likely it will end up on the bottom of the stack of Morrissey CDs--right next to Ringleader.

The music--how bad!

Morrissey--you have lost it. Where is the fire and vigor--the creativity from the Viva, Bona, Vauxhall years?

You are soooo missing out on something...

You are soooo missing out on something...

I have listened a few more times, and still the songs are nothing but weak filler that would not have made a B side to his early catalog. Notice how his lyrics on this release are so simple and lacking of some of the "romance" and "angst" of days gone by. Instead of going back to this type of writing, he has decided to use a cheap thesaurus for some awkward rhymes and unintelligent drivel.

London is dead.. he said that 22 years ago.

Some people are still checking out Kill Uncle :D

I saw a tweet yesterday that said "Check out this song on Morrissey's new album" and it was Suedehead. :squiffy:

I love the album. I think it's always better to let a little time pass before judging it within the context of everything else he's done, but it is a startling return to form. I'm someone who actually likes post-millenium Morrissey a lot (YATQ got me into Morrissey), I know there's some people who seem to dismiss everything he's done since then, but for me a lot of his best songs have came within this period.

The production is great, and the songs are very fresh. I'm glad to see he has embraced a different style. The trio of songs between the last two releases sounded very tired, dull and lyrically left a lot to be desired. Action was ok, but that's it - they were middle of the road b-sides. For just a while, I feared he might have reached the dreaded "past it" stage. How great it is to know that he not only hasn't, but he's actually produced an album that will sit as a career highlight. Certainly his best since Quarry, and - as an album - I think it could even be his best since Vauxhall. I think he and the band can be very proud of this.

I just hope there's a little more promotion! And I hope we see Morrissey back on stage soon, though only if he is well. Health always comes first, and while I'd love to see him again live, I'd be happy if he took it easy in that respect and produced a few more albums of this quality :D

I think it's very well produced, and musically it's a step in the right direction for him. As he ages, the more guitar dominated albums seem less fulfilling than the ones where things quiet down and veer closer to the Viva Hate template (one which I think he discarded too abruptly - I enjoy a lot of the more guitar driven songs he's done over the years, but I think it's also more likely to lead to sloppy disappointments).

That said, like others have mentioned, the lyrics often feel more like poems set to music than song lyrics. Similar to Kill Uncle, but less clumsy and more interesting sonically. There was nothing on here that grabbed me right away (Istanbul came closest, and Kiss Me A Lot managed to get stuck in my head in spite of my thinking it's not that great of a song), and only after a third listen is it warming to me.

It's a good album, but that second half drags for me. I just can't get into Bullfighter, Smiler with Knife, or Mountjoy. And the six bonus tracks on the deluxe version don't contain any hidden gems, which is unusual for me, since I often find myself enjoying some of the tracks he chooses to leave off even more than the ones on the album.

But, it does leave me excited for his recording future, and I hope he devotes more time to creating complex studio work than tailoring songs for an upcoming tour. With all the tour cancellations, it just makes sense to me for him to do such a thing.

I have listened a few more times, and still the songs are nothing but weak filler that would not have made a B side to his early catalog. Notice how his lyrics on this release are so simple and lacking of some of the "romance" and "angst" of days gone by. Instead of going back to this type of writing, he has decided to use a cheap thesaurus for some awkward rhymes and unintelligent drivel.

I thought the same thing the first time I heard 'Unhappy Birthday' ..."It's just 'not' the same..." - Go cry your eyes out.
(Can't believe I'm participating in this - )

If liking Morrissey's new album is a problem we should all be so lucky.

Speaking of your boat re viva hate, what won't float? I'm just curious because I can't find fault with it at all. Okay maybe because it was my first love but each and every song including most of the B sides lift my boat right outta' the sea! Alright that's enough boat analogies. For me it has always been Education In Reverse because that was the first cassette I heard. I didn't know it was actually called Viva Hate until quite a bit later.

I'm not in love with Quarry either so that's another reason why I ask. Btw I haven't heard WPINOYB yet. The anticipation is killing me!

Now explain yourself! :)

OK, Marred but just be aware this is only my opinion and as you know what they say about opinion's and arseholes...................

With Viva hate I had started listening to the Smiths in 1986 and and bought pretty much everything they released by the time I bought Viva Hate in '88. Musically it was very different and Alsatian Cousin and Little Man What Now? didn't exactly set my world on fire. I also loathed at the time Ordinary Boys, I just found that a drone. I like it a bit better now but it's taken a while. Dial a Cliche and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me felt like filler and Margaret on a Guillotine felt like a tepid end to the album. To this day I very rarely play those songs. The 2 singles I think must rank as 2 of the best singles Morrissey has ever released either with The Smiths or solo. Maudlin Street is obviously a classic and Break Up The Family is my favourite song of the album and I think one of his most underrated ever. Don't get me wrong it is a fine album but it often gets praised as his 'best ever solo album' which foxes me somewhat. If all the b-sides from the singles had replaced some of the songs I've just mentioned then yeah I think it would rate as his best ever. Those b-sides are great great GREAT tracks.

On a side note when Moz was last down under I got him to sign my copy of 'Education in Reverse.' He looked at the album and said to me "naughty naughty" probably thinking that Hades himself had given me a copy, LOL.

OK, Marred but just be aware this is only my opinion and as you know what they say about opinion's and arseholes...................

With Viva hate I had started listening to the Smiths in 1986 and and bought pretty much everything they released by the time I bought Viva Hate in '88. Musically it was very different and Alsatian Cousin and Little Man What Now? didn't exactly set my world on fire. I also loathed at the time Ordinary Boys, I just found that a drone. I like it a bit better now but it's taken a while. Dial a Cliche and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me felt like filler and Margaret on a Guillotine felt like a tepid end to the album. To this day I very rarely play those songs. The 2 singles I think must rank as 2 of the best singles Morrissey has ever released either with The Smiths or solo. Maudlin Street is obviously a classic and Break Up The Family is my favourite song of the album and I think one of his most underrated ever. Don't get me wrong it is a fine album but it often gets praised as his 'best ever solo album' which foxes me somewhat. If all the b-sides from the singles had replaced some of the songs I've just mentioned then yeah I think it would rate as his best ever. Those b-sides are great great GREAT tracks.

On a side note when Moz was last down under I got him to sign my copy of 'Education in Reverse.' He looked at the album and said to me "naughty naughty" probably thinking that Hades himself had given me a copy, LOL.

Thanks for the reply. I had got my hands on a friend's World Won't Listen in '87, then Nineteen Eighty Hate came round and I was smack right into Being Educated In Reverse literally as I caught up with the Smiths albums from Strangeways back to the first one. All the songs on Viva Hate just went into me and they have never left. And I was even more impressed because Morrissey did it without Marr and lead the charge full throttle and he's still going strong... just how strong I will find out in a few days.

That is a very funny side note. Are you Moz In Oz 2012 December? Or the decade before in 02?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom