Morrissey's most revered singers - true-to-you.net

No Sandie Shaw or Nancy Sinatra? Or friends like James Maker? I'm thinking that he hasn't met any of those people on that list and that's probably why they are on there.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Patti Smith? Joni Mitchell? The omission of Kristeen Young also seems a bit harsh considering how in awe of her talents and in love with her he claimed to be in his autobiography. And where's our Happy New Year message?:(

No Patti Smith? Joni Mitchell? The omission of Kristeen Young also seems a bit harsh considering how in awe of her talents and in love with her he claimed to be in his autobiography. And where's our Happy New Year message?:(

These are not his favourite artists by any means, but his most revered singers. Technically speaking I suppose.
His top 15 favourite artists would look entirely different, I'm ure.

These are not his favourite artists by any means, but his most revered singers. Technically speaking I suppose.
His top 15 favourite artists would look entirely different, I'm ure.

Ah...so these are revered for their singing techniques, as opposed to their songwriting or influence upon him?

Last edited:
Yes, his favourite voices.
Only numbers 4 and 9 would probably survive on his top-15 most revered artists list, I reckon.

Glad to see he's as bored as everyone else by New Year TV.

Tim Buckley > all the rest of those choices.

Kind of strange that Morrissey just decided out of nowhere to tell us his list of favourite singers, but ... ok? Guess he has to do something with his time since he isn't making music.

Tim Buckley > all the rest of those choices.

Kind of strange that Morrissey just decided out of nowhere to tell us his list of favourite singers, but ... ok? Guess he has to do something with his time since he isn't making music.

I thought that - bit out of the blue....was expecting a more traditional new year rant of some kind. Perhaps tomorrow we'll have a list of his favourite cheeses...:confused:

I think this list represents Morrissey's "most revered singers" this week.

He's always wavered back and forth in regards to his all-time favorite singers: Linder, Siouxie, Sacha, Jobriath, David Johansen, etc.

Ask him to compile the same list next week and the countdown will be different.

What! No Sam Bailey, she's my number one...I won a cool grand when she romped home in the X factor.

Buffy Sainte-Marie is half Kree.

ZgcR4dE.jpg

How cool is that?

He's always wavered back and forth in regards to his all-time favorite singers: Linder, Siouxie, Sacha, Jobriath, David Johansen, etc.

I don't think he has ever considered Linder a 'favourite' singer, she is just a friend. As for David-NYD is his favourite band, this is just a list of favourite singers as in solo.

I don't think he has ever considered Linder a 'favourite' singer, she is just a friend. As for David-NYD is his favourite band, this is just a list of favourite singers as in solo.

Not so sure about the solo angle. Philippe Wynne was best known as the lead singer of The Spinners. General Johnson was the lead singer of the group Chairmen of the Board. Bobby Hatfield was one half of the Righteous Brothers. Levi Stubbs was best known as the lead singer of the Four Tops.

Not so sure about the solo angle. Philippe Wynne was best known as the lead singer of The Spinners. General Johnson was the lead singer of the group Chairmen of the Board. Bobby Hatfield was one half of the Righteous Brothers. Levi Stubbs was best known as the lead singer of the Four Tops.
Then he likes NYD(obviously) just doesn't consider David a good singer.

Buffy St Marie is a great, but surprising choice from Morrissey. I didn't know he had any interest in folk music and particularly after the bit "I thought that if you played an acoustic guitar it meant that you were a protest singer" I also find it surprising. She's a great singer and beautiful artist. Under appreciated too she was basically blacklisted because of her views.

My biggest surprise was that there was no Patti Smith on the list--given the great impact he's claimed Horses to have had on his life. Didn't he say somewhere that he never though he could be a singer until he heard Horses? I recall a quote like that somewhere, but than Morrissey says a lot of such things and its hard to keep track of all them

- - - Updated - - -

He did have a falling out with Siouxie Sioux after they recorded interlude, so her absence is not surprising to me. Patti Smith is the most surprising absence to me--given that I think she had a genuine impact on him and he's never had a falling out with her.

He did have a falling out with Siouxie Sioux after they recorded interlude, so her absence is not surprising to me.

Plus she accused him of flirting with right-wing imagery for cuddling a bulldog. Or summat.

Thank God she would never do anything so crass.

d9EFe8e.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom