Morrissey's fans are not happy about his Kevin Spacey comments - mic.com

I see a lot of people saying that what he has said stinks, but I don't see anyone saying he doesn't have a right to express himself.

I read everywhere people insulting Morrissey for his public declarations. Some of them are saying worst things about him than about the actual sexual predators. Anyway, that is not the main issue here.

I see a lot of people saying that what he has said stinks, but I don't see anyone saying he doesn't have a right to express himself.
I lost a longtime friend recently because I stated that I believe that anyone who would go out in public and call themselves a Nazi/White nationalist, throw Nazi salutes, wave Nazi flags etc deserve a punch in the face. I was called a leftist wingnut, a liberal dipshit, and a virtue signaler by someone I once respected. My argument is that I will always respect the right to free speech no matter how inflammatory or wrong, but that freedom from speech is not freedom from repercussions up to and including getting socked in the nose by an offended party.

Great e
I think it is significantly better than WP, which remains the only Morrissey album entirely unrepresented on my iPhone.

I’m still not that comfortable with Morrissey writing more explicitly about sex or love, mainly because I don’t think he’s particularly good at it, whether it’s exploding kegs or shaven whatever’s. I think there are four or five decent songs on Low In High School, but I do get the feeling those songs miss the old shimmering brilliance sometimes by a fraction of an inch.

I’m not sure the best way to describe it, but as an example the first time I heard I’m Not A Man from WP I thought it missed genuine canonical excellence by a whisker, mostly because of (of all things with Morrissey) a poor choice of words. There’s a reason songwriters don’t include the word Beefaroni in their best torch songs and I’m Not A Man is a good example. What might have been a genuinely interesting meditation on what passes for manhood in the West these days, was undermined by an inability to come up with “le mot juste.”

The thing which has always grabbed people in Morrissey songs is/was his ability to pull you into the song and immerse you in it. Every word and syllable on TQID or Strangeways or Viva Hate or Vauxhall gave the impression it was pored over with a jeweller’s eyepiece. Bengali In Platforms is an interesting example, mentioned, I believe, further up the thread. “Life is hard enough when you belong here” could easily have been replaced with “Life is hard enough when you were born here” without perhaps igniting the ire of the NME. It’s inconceivable the latter wording wasn’t considered in my opinion, but that what he wanted to say, so did.

Too often now it seems that quality control is waning. We saw it first in the artwork, and now see it more and more often in the lyrics.

I’m pleased he has not yet gone down the “it’s best thing I’ve ever done” route as he did with World Peace, because it isn’t by a long chalk, but it’s often pleasant enough, particularly when he stays off the subjects of politics or genitalia.
Great post. I'd go along with all of it I think.

I read everywhere people insulting Morrissey for his public declarations. Some of them are saying worst things about him than about the actual sexual predators. Anyway, that is not the main issue here.
Internet comments sections have never been kind to Morrissey.

stop being so stupid and blind you can love morrissey as an artist but the man is a pig and you cant possibly agree with his comment if you are a good person
I believe he is a good person, I'm sure it's being taking out of context, listen to his lyrics its obvious, if he cares about animals so much why wouldn't you think he cares about human. Get off his back gee

I lost a longtime friend recently because I stated that I believe that anyone who would go out in public and call themselves a Nazi/White nationalist, throw Nazi salutes, wave Nazi flags etc deserve a punch in the face. I was called a leftist wingnut, a liberal dipshit, and a virtue signaler by someone I once respected. My argument is that I will always respect the right to free speech no matter how inflammatory or wrong, but that freedom from speech is not freedom from repercussions up to and including getting socked in the nose by an offended party.

I agree with you, mostly. If you take the time to read all what I said in the post that was partially quoted by Cornflakes (talking about partial quotations...), you would understand it.

Last edited:

Well I believe that anyone that goes out with the Hammer & Sickle, quoting Marx and calling themselves a communist deserves to be punched in the face. Are you Ok with that?

And those on the right are not Intolerant?

Yes they are and they admit it without shame. The left preaches and legislates tolerance yet is utterly intolerant to those not adopting its ideology. That they can't see the irony in this is quite puzzling.

Did Apey ever really listen to Kristeens lyrics or read her social media. You can't make this stuff up :crazy:

Is it intolerant to call someone out on their intolerance?

'My argument is that I will always respect the right to free speech no matter how inflammatory or wrong, but that freedom from speech is not freedom from repercussions up to and including getting socked in the nose by an offended party'

a bit of a contradiction there,no? because if you used violence against those who's publicly expressed thoughts you don't agree with, would that not be a form of suppression of free speech ?

Last edited:
I'm happy with Morrissey's comments about Kevin Spacey too provided that ALL of his comments
are "quoted" (as it always should be but we know that they are not always.)
Any child who is 14, should be locked away at home. They should NOT be at a party. It does not matter if the 14 year old is an actor-in-waiting or not. Parents are responsible for minors in the UK - and in other countries too I understand. It is very sad to say this, but, the child's parents should be held accountable. This is how it works. Minors should not roam the streets nor should they attend any parties (with any adult) without suitable and sufficient supervision, at all times.
This does not make any rape nor any sexual assault right, because it is clearly wrong, as we all know.
There are also much more important news stories needing to be covered than this.
Hazard
x
Just because one 14-years-old boy without any "chaperone" was in a room with an 26-years-old adult, and that this boy claim that he was a victim of rape or sexual assault, that means that there may have been nothing and he's lying... Nice mentality.
I'll hope this never happened to your brother, your sister or your children... Sincerely.

Just a question to conclude:
You say "There are also much more important news stories needing to be covered than this."
I totally agree... So why Morrissey has open his mouth about this? (maybe for avoid to talk about the poor quality of his last album.... Maybe?)

These HYPOCRITES PERPETUATE THE ANIMAL HOLOCAUST. THEY HAVE NO CREDIBILITY. THEY'RE JEALOUS AND STUPID. YUCK.

#iHeartMOZ
#VivaMoz
#LowInHighSchool
#InMozWeTrust

The press comes out to crucify Morrissey once again, aligning him and his fans with Trump because they can not stand the thought of people who couldn't care less of what they have to say. They'll stir up this controversy while remaining silent about the actual predators, abusers, and rapists whose behavior is an open secret among their circles. Yet it seems accusations against these "woke" feminist journalists has become a daily occurrence, while nobody was actually harmed by Morrissey's words.

"...instead of his"? Ugh. She was supposedly such a great fan going to so many concerts. Weak. Then Kristeen responded that her comment was a "nice thing"; even the "...instead of his" part? After all the nice things Moz said about her, she should have denounced that "...instead of his" jab. NO WAY. Are they meat eaters?

iHeartMoz :hearteyes:

#LowInHighSchoolRules
#VivaMozForever

Did Apey ever really listen to Kristeens lyrics or read her social media. You can't make this stuff up :crazy:

Just because one 14-years-old boy without any "chaperone" was in a room with an 26-years-old adult, and that this boy claim that he was a victim of rape or sexual assault, that means that there may have been nothing and he's lying... Nice mentality.
I'll hope this never happened to your brother, your sister or your children... Sincerely.

Morrissey may have given this interview as the news broke about Spacey, leaving him ignorant of so many other allegations, although not where Weinstein is concerned. His repeatedly stated abhorrence of rape and violence begins to sound like the gay or black friend I've got, but... Still, he is pointing to a present danger. There is that risk, and it's raised in such an intimate setting as a bedroom. So in a sense, this may be Morrissey's main point: such risk exists, even if that opinion seems to normalise predatory sexual behavior. Attack would not be on most people's minds. That's why those two's excesses made news. But the way Morrissey said it implied the assaulters were the ones who acted rationally and understandably, which is unfortunate and unless you're sick in the head, untrue.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom