Morrissey's Catholicism

Re: Morrissey's Catholicism.

I recall Morrissey saying that if you're brought up as a Catholic and attend Catholic schools, it's something that will never leave you (or something to that effect), which is true. I'm Catholic, except, I'm not, but I am. :thumb:

With Morrissey certainly I think it's a mix of possibly nostalgic admiration of the cultured traditions of the catholic church - the costume, the scent etc. and also he just likes playing with the conditioning of Catholicism in the way you mention above.
I don't think he is....a true believer...

Confession is a fairly modern invention. It was created so that the Catholic church could keep tabs on it's brethren and quiz the illiterate section on a kinky list of violations. Back when, the priest would ask the questions and the confessor would give yes or no answers, and would then dole out penance (7 years abstinence for swallowing semen, by the way). The format was tweaked, the reasoning unrecognisable. It's certainly not a traditional practice.

Last edited:

Did I say he was exclusively homo?

Sigh.

But why people want know his homo life , I would like to know his hetero life , what does he like?, how does he like ?, :blushing:this is natural, do you know? :p

But why people want know his homo life , I would like to know his hetero life , what does he like?, how does he like ?, :blushing:this is natural, do you know? :p

... I agree haha:lbf:

Doesn't the Cat-ho-lick church have an expression, give me a child until the age of six and they are mine forever, or words to that effect? There is no such thing as an ex-Catholic, trust me. Ever met one? Nope. They think they may be...but they're not, the precepts and concepts still beat and bleed in their brains. I saw Moz a couple of years back live. His tee-shirts he was selling pictured him as a Catholic priest. This is no coincidence.

Obviously.

Jackson, I could f***ing care less if you (yawn) want to attack me. This the net. You will never meet me. Piss on your religion, and all religions in general. I was not raised religious in any way, thankfully, and thus am a free thinker. I am sorry you were raised Catholic. To (literal) wit, from the late great Bill Hicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaHnFd3X-wI

Enjoy.

And.

Confession is so that priests can get off on the sexual experiences of others and wank off to them before f***ing choir boys.

;)

Last edited:

I am, 'ex-Catholic'.

Please, more depth...

I am, 'ex-Catholic'.

Please, more depth...

Me too!

I've been on the receiving end of violence from nuns and priests. It definitely does have an effect on you.

I'm a lifelong secular humanist, but I have an undying fascination with the Roman Catholic Church. It is the most depraved, decadent, contradictory and sensual organization I've ever encountered. As an outsider, it seems like institutionalized insanity.

I can see why Morrissey would find it both seductive and fascinating, like the romance of crime.

Jackson, I could f***ing care less if you (yawn) want to attack me. This the net. You will never meet me. Piss on your religion, and all religions in general. I was not raised religious in any way, thankfully, and thus am a free thinker. I am sorry you were raised Catholic. To (literal) wit, from the late great Bill Hicks:

I know that was quite mean of me.

If you want to "piss" on all religions, then why start a thread about religion? Why do you care? Just curious.

PS: Do you kiss your Mom with that mouth? Geez

Seeing as none of his family was religious I don't think you can say Morrissey had a religious upbringing. OK, so his family went along with the institutions to a certain extent but that is totally different to having a proper religious upbringing.

It is not confession anymore, it is now known as reconciliation. It is true that once a Catholic always a Catholic. I know this, but I'm OK with it as I love Catholism...well, parts of it, anyway. I've seen Morrissey quite a few times make the sign of the cross on stage and it appears that he is speaking while looking up after doing this. I think he feels comfortable with it now. In the past, perhaps he wasn't - Morrissey is the type of person to question everything and seek answers to very complex issues. Maybe he's come to terms with a lot of those issues about Catholism. He is very fond of Rosary Beads, scents, etc..

But, to answer your original question, Bill: No. I don't think so. I also don't see Morrissey as being "gay", "bi", or "straight". I think he is above being categorized. I think he loves a person for who they are and not what gender they may be. I know, you never said...I'm just stating my POV.

I'm a lifelong secular humanist, but I have an undying fascination with the Roman Catholic Church. It is the most depraved, decadent, contradictory and sensual organization I've ever encountered. As an outsider, it seems like institutionalized insanity.

I can see why Morrissey would find it both seductive and fascinating, like the romance of crime.
But the gowns are to die for.

Doesn't the Cat-ho-lick church

This is merely disappointing Bill.

If you wish to conjure up the spirits of Solo's past, you must at least pour your tiny mind into a sentence that can be read with a slight hint and whiff of humour

Or... make organs rush with the beat and pump of heart, proving that sexuality and intimacy is in turn the admittance of life, provoking life’s bleeding sense of animal instinct.

... Which by betrothing us with another witless attempt at sanity...

And life...

Leaves me reeling, clutching and clinging onto to my sanitised seat

Emptying another bottled metaphor (on this occasion vitriol, as its Pinkies insurance) down into my gasping mouth.

Why aren't you me?

- The record stopped.

Back
Top Bottom