Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

The thought of reading Morrissey's biography has made my penis swell and become rock hard. I love this man so much.

Just a theory, but to me the most likely sequence of events is that:

1) Morrissey had the book written but for one reason or another, Penguin weren’t biting or hadn’t offered an attractive sum.

2) Morrissey gets TTY to post an exaggerated story about how content disagreements prevented a completely fictitious release date. Morrissey’s publicist circulates this among news outlets to increase the intensity of the storm in the teacup.

3) Penguin - who were probably nothing more than apathetic about Morrissey’s book - sit up and take note of the coverage the affair is getting and then put the contract on the table on the basis that it might be a bigger seller than first thought.

4) The clarification post goes up on TTY which seems completely antithetical to the previous statement (“Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher”/“The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.”) The autobiography release date is put forward to as soon as is feasibly possible (a few weeks) with the hope that the hype won’t quite have gone by then.

5) Morrissey has his book deal, Penguin have some free PR and promotion for a book that hasn’t even got a planned release yet. Both parties are happy.

1) Morrissey had the book written but for one reason or another, Penguin weren’t biting or hadn’t offered an attractive sum.

2) Morrissey gets TTY to post an exaggerated story about how content disagreements prevented a completely fictitious release date. Morrissey’s publicist circulates this among news outlets to increase the intensity of the storm in the teacup.

3) Penguin - who were probably nothing more than apathetic about Morrissey’s book - sit up and take note of the coverage the affair is getting and then put the contract on the table on the basis that it might be a bigger seller than first thought.

4) The clarification post goes up on TTY which seems completely antithetical to the previous statement (“Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher”/“The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.”) The autobiography release date is put forward to as soon as is feasibly possible (a few weeks) with the hope that the hype won’t quite have gone by then.

5) Morrissey has his book deal, Penguin have some free PR and promotion for a book that hasn’t even got a planned release yet. Both parties are happy.

This! It makes perfect marketing!

We've all been played... or maybe the original press release was about the American deal.

I'm sure the book was canceled because it only chronicled his Booking and Subsequent cancellation of shows all around the world. I was hoping for a pontification on why he allows Jessee to be in the band in any capacity whatsoever...that dude just really sucks.

I'm sure the book was canceled because it only chronicled his Booking and Subsequent cancellation of shows all around the world. I was hoping for a pontification on why he allows Jessee to be in the band in any capacity whatsoever...that dude just really sucks.

That dude just really sucks? :squiffy: You srsly need to work on how to not sound like yourself when currying the favor of your troll friends because you sound like a moron.

Stop ya moaning. The book is coming out.

No that's now what happened. If the book is coming out in a few weeks, the contract has been in place for some time. What likely happened was:

1) Some sort of editorial dispute, where the editor (or the Penguin legal team) wanted something changed/added/deleted, to which Morrissey balked.

2) Morrissey posts on True to You that the "venture has fallen through", hoping to walk away.

3) Penguin reminds Morrissey that walking away means he'll have to return his advance.

4) Morrissey makes the requested change.

Well Morrissey can always publish the "removed edit" for free on true-to-you

I'm very surprised to see the title displayed on the cover as 'Autobiography'
I was told by a very reliable source that the title had been confirmed as 'Reader Meet Book' ever since 2011.

I wouldn't under estimate Morrissey's political abilities, he is going somewhere with this. Damn he is smart.

Great news. I still think it should be called 'Bouncing Back' though.

Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

His story is the story of the century, I hope he outs all the people that were nasty to him.

Well! Looking forward to all the Morrissey haters eating their socks after all that nonsense about "the book is never coming out!"

They'll also be the first ones to order it, I'm sure.

His story is the story of the century, I hope he outs all the people that were nasty to him.

Yes, not even the moon landings, the flu epidemic of 1919, the sinking of the Titanic, the assassination of JFK, Gandhi and MLK, the discovery of penicillin, the invention of powered manned flight, the discovery of DNA, the rise and fall of Communism and Hitler, the Killing Fields, Picasso, Tunguska, Einstein, the creation of the Atomic bomb, the mass starvations of Africa, the PRC and the USSR, are as nothing compared to a bloke from Manchester writing some songs.

We just need to hope it isn't aboit the people he's been nasty to, for the sake of the rainforests.

Could be, but if the book is virtually ready for release (designed, proofread, etc.) then a deal must have been signed - included advance - a while back. It does seem there has been some political manoeuvring concerning the content going on here, but who has won? Have Penguin relented? Has Morrissey agreed to any proposed cuts? Who knows, but the free PR won't have hurt though. I still can't believe we may be reading the thing in a few weeks...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom