Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

If it is any consolation, Kevin Cummins has been tweeting unpublished / rare Morrissey photos this afternoon. Good work fella.

Dave

Those two bidders are thinking, "This shit's gotta be legit, it's printed on animal free paper."

Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

Those two bidders are thinking, "This shit's gotta be legit, it's printed on animal free paper."

Three muppets now and rising.

Ok, say the deal went away months ago and Morrissey and his team have just decided to annoucnce it. It's still a PR stunt!! For the one guy who doesn't belive just do a search on the internet. It's on the front page of the NME website and other places. If people report on it then it is PR. That's the point of putting out the story so people pick up on it. It's not his normal mod of promotion but it's cracking genius! "Hype Makes The World Go Round". Morrissey you can put that on your new album but makes sure I get credit for songwritting.

No, you misunderstand: the cover would have been created long ago. Contractually, there'll be a cut-off date by which the publishers have to agree that the book will be published (and deliver the 2nd instalment of the advance, which usually comes in three instalments). Because of the apparent content dispute, that date will have passed and so the rights in the manuscript will have reverted back to Morrissey - hence his statement on T-T-Y. No advance copies will have been printed without the content dispute being resolved. There were no advance copies of the Bowie album pressed either.

I love this train of thought that goes "Because So_Low didn't know about it, it must be a scam or publicity stunt..."

I have in NO WAY implied that because it was not on this site it can't happen. Take your "I hate this site" glasses off please. The FACT stands, you can't get bookstores the book in 3-4 days. It takes weeks to get these things manufactured and shipped. If Morrissey has implied like he has that the book was going to hit the sheelves on Thursday and he knew well in advance this was not going to happen, then that is in fact a PR stunt. If you don't understand that then I can't help you!

This is the biggest publicity stunt Moz has pulled.

This is from the Independent:

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.

Take that how you will...

I don't understand the point in Morrissey publishing this story. It's a complete non event! It's unlikely that Penguin or Morrissey would pull the plug at the 11th hour. If Monday was the release date then the book would have been printed weeks ago and would be on the way to the distributor/retailer as we speak.

I just think it's Morrissey's way of getting attention. Maybe he wants more money and this way he is alerting other publishers that the book is up for grabs again. Or is it a PR stunt?

The positives from this is that the autobiography is in a almost complete state. And I love the fact it is called just that, autobiography.

We await further news......

I'm quite disappointed by the title; it sounds like a Pet Shop Boys album!

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a good way to generate publicity for an imminent UK event that has been rumoured is about to be announced

This much-ado-about-nothing has remarkably even been reported on the main BBC radio news channels

I'm glad people agree with me about it being a PR stunt....... thanks.

I think the bigger picture is he is still trying to get a record deal. A bit of news about the eagerly awaited autobiography can only send out a positive image. This man is still relevant - give him a record deal!

This is from the Independent:

Take that how you will...

Well, there you go. Pretty much as many of us have been saying. The only question now remaining is why someone, somewhere in the Morrissey disorganisation thought this statement was a good idea?

Shame as on 16th September it is my birthday......Oh well....
Cheers Moz

Really? It was ALMOST mine as well. That's fine though, I'll stick to reading Douglas Coupland ("the song's noises that, in a way that defies verb tenses, remind her of what it feels like to be a ghost."...) :)

As Morrissey said a few years ago, "I mind my own business."

The Penguin UK rep's comment makes the story all the more interesting. Penguin would obviously like to publish this book...

Is it possible that "although Morrissey's autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th" was clumsy shorthand for "available [to order] throughout the UK," i.e. on Amazon UK etc.?
That I could believe, because as others have said there's no possible way there were thousands of printed copies about to go out on lorries.

The FACT that there is no ISBN proves it's straight-up rubbish. He has an autobiography on his hard-drive like I'VE got an autobiography on MY hard-drive. It's just more "Pay attention to ME crap." Sorry, Moz...I love you but...no.

well things are not going very well, are they?

As I have stated many many times in the past this book simply does not exist.
He can't write a song these days never mind a book.
He can't even compose a statement that's not full of cock and nonsense so stop acting like little children on Christmas eve.

Benny-the-Butcher

From my understanding, publishers buy ISBN #s in bulk and assign them as necessary. If my above theory that the TTY statement was actually referring to the availability of the book for ordering then I don't think an ISBN would be known before the book was announced anywhere.
Add to that the wording of "venture," and I'm pretty sure it means the deal, not the sale of the physical book.

Morrissey loves himself some PR, but I just can't believe he'd out and out lie about a physical book being ready to ship out. Under the above scenario Review copies wouldn't have gone out yet, either.

The FACT that there is no ISBN proves it's straight-up rubbish. He has an autobiography on his hard-drive like I'VE got an autobiography on MY hard-drive. It's just more "Pay attention to ME crap." Sorry, Moz...I love you but...no.

Isn't it just Morrissey's way of saying he's looking for a different publisher?

I'm reading the statement to mean that he's written his autobiography, but there are part of it that Penguin didn't want to publish - could be he's refusing a re-write or editor's interference, or that he's written something that is potentially libelous (take your pick, Mike Joyce, Judge Weeks, Prince William, George Alagiah...) - and Morrissey has refused to alter his story.

Dave

Textbook BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER is Moz.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom