Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it only covers up until the Marr break ... remember the excerpt about Moz driving about on the moors and witnessing a "ghost" ? That must have been 90/91 , surely ?

Let's face it - Moz lives in a dream world. He's clearly losing touch with reality.

So, with a supposed book being available very shorty, presumably, what do you think the plan of action will be by Moz:

- book signing
- tour dates (UK & US?)
- tv appearances

Someone a few posts back asked the same questions? Although it is pure speculation, I am very interested to see what others think, that are really excited about this big news, except for the TROLLS.

I'm hoping the book gets solid reviews, puts the man back on the radar, and wipes out what was a difficult 2013 for Moz.

Oh how I'm itching for a live show, hopefully this is the medium to get the man back on stage and in the spotlight (healthy, fit, and with a workable tour/appearance schedule).

BeeWee~

That can't be the cover can it? Why Penguin Classics? All very odd, I'll read it when it's out. Shockingly badly managed situation as per the last few years on and off.

Well it certainly was an interesting and active day of Morrissey news yesterday!

Now that some of the dust has semi-settled, it seems our Morrissey may have been in control the entire time and known exactly what he was doing!

I hope the book really is coming out in tbe next few weeks! We are certainly closer, which is exciting!

Oh, how I hope he does some press!

I love the cover and title! So classic and simple, no need for anything more, the book will speak for itself.

However, I'm not so sure this is the official cover or title. I just doubt it would be revealed in this way.

So, with a supposed book being available very shorty, presumably, what do you think the plan of action will be by Moz:

- book signing
- tour dates (UK & US?)
- tv appearances

Someone a few posts back asked the same questions? Although it is pure speculation, I am very interested to see what others think, that are really excited about this big news, except for the TROLLS.

I'm hoping the book gets solid reviews, puts the man back on the radar, and wipes out what was a difficult 2013 for Moz.

Oh how I'm itching for a live show, hopefully this is the medium to get the man back on stage and in the spotlight (healthy, fit, and with a workable tour/appearance schedule).

BeeWee~

Surely he'll do press. Hopefully not just the email interviews. I hope for tv, perhaps late night shows. Hes putting himself out there already with the book (I hope! ) so maybe he'll step outside his comfort zone.

I have been fantasizing about a book signing, I am kind of doubtful, but I certainly hope so!

Well it certainly was an interesting and active day of Morrissey news yesterday!

Now that some of the dust has semi-settled, it seems our Morrissey may have been in control the entire time and known exactly what he was doing!

Well... He did have to issue a statement within 24 hours utterly at odds with what was said before, so I'm not sure how that equates to knowing exactly what he was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Surely he'll do press. Hopefully not just the email interviews. I hope for tv, perhaps late night shows.

Kimmel?

Well... He did have to issue a statement within 24 hours utterly at odds with what was said before, so I'm not sure how that equates to knowing exactly what he was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Kimmel?

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens, but I think Morrissey may have played this very smart. Of course we don't know what transpired between the two statements. I do agree, the second said something completely different, not really a clarification. Regardless he got a hell of a lot of press coverage!

- - - Updated - - -

Kimmel, umm perhaps not the best choice...lol!

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens, but I think Morrissey may have played this very smart. Of course we don't know what transpired between the two statements. I do agree, the second said something completely different, not really a clarification. Regardless he got a hell of a lot of press coverage!

Not as much as he would have got if he had just left Penguin to it. And there's no actual book available to turn the press into sales. "Surprise Morrissey book now available to buy" would have been a much better story, from everyone's perspective.

I think we still have to look at the possibility that Morrissey did this to force the publisher's hand. I would say there was likely a "disagreement" over content. May be Morrissey got them to capitulate. Good for him, if so.

I think we still have to look at the possibility that Morrissey did this to force the publisher's hand. I would say there was likely a "disagreement" over content. May be Morrissey got them to capitulate. Good for him, if so.

No one knows except the parties involved. Everything else is conjecture.

P.

- book signing
- tour dates (UK & US?)
- tv appearances

Be serious! Tour dates??? Book signings??? Just more appearances to be postponed/cancelled/screwed up. Look at the job he did with this book deal. Lately, everything Morrissey touches turns to sh*t!

- - - Updated - - -

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

so i'm not the best at seeing what others have written before and perhaps someone else has mentioned this, but i've worked in a bookstore for the last 14 years of my life, 7 years in berkeley and the other 7 at a great books school. when moz said he wanted it to be released as a penguin classics..."well, that's so cute, funny and impossible but wouldn't that be wonderful!?!" i thought. so to see the first statement from true-to-you, as a book whore, i checked my resources like i would for a customer and lies...moz is lying...but f***! that cover is so beautiful and simple and from my perspective, impossible! if you look at the titles released by penguin classics, it becomes clear, a legit, first edition is never a penguin classics! it's a book nerd's wet dream! but i'm there with moz and am cool with the deception, because i actually got to have that visual of the cover in a form that as a book lover, i know to be impossible...unless moz forced a stir among the penguin people with his first statement with a view of a cover he simply should not be able to get away with...
i question along with all of his fans (2013 is not our year as far as delivery, a lot of flirting but...) whether it will actually be released, but as a book nerd, i wonder if he can actually get his way!?! cuz wow...the first edition a penguin classics! like wow...in the book world, what morrissey is trying to do should be impossible! but oh, i hope, i hope! i'd be a grinning fool...

so i'm not the best at seeing what others have written before and perhaps someone else has mentioned this, but i've worked in a bookstore for the last 14 years of my life, 7 years in berkeley and the other 7 at a great books school. when moz said he wanted it to be released as a penguin classics..."well, that's so cute, funny and impossible but wouldn't that be wonderful!?!" i thought. so to see the first statement from true-to-you, as a book whore, i checked my resources like i would for a customer and lies...moz is lying...but f***! that cover is so beautiful and simple and from my perspective, impossible! if you look at the titles released by penguin classics, it becomes clear, a legit, first edition is never a penguin classics! it's a book nerd's wet dream! but i'm there with moz and am cool with the deception, because i actually got to have that visual of the cover in a form that as a book lover, i know to be impossible...unless moz forced a stir among the penguin people with his first statement with a view of a cover he simply should not be able to get away with...
i question along with all of his fans (2013 is not our year as far as delivery, a lot of flirting but...) whether it will actually be released, but as a book nerd, i wonder if he can actually get his way!?! cuz wow...the first edition a penguin classics! like wow...in the book world, what morrissey is trying to do should be impossible! but oh, i hope, i hope! i'd be a grinning fool...

I agree, there is no way it's going to be a 'classic' as such. But apart from the photo of the book published by True To You website (which I personally believe is a fake), there was no mention of 'Penguin Classics', but it's said to be 'Penguin books'.

I mean if Penguin books published that autobiography
zlatan.jpg
Surely Morrissey's autobiography should be a classic but that's not very likely to happen I'm afraid...

I doubt this is the cover, it's a mere representation. Morrissey's penguin classic demand was toungue-in-cheek. The only thing we can almost know for sure is... well nothing. One can only hope.

I'd like to see something very classy, like this template...

That's the cover of the recent edition of Orwell's 1984, if anyone is interested. Lovely idea.

have emailed two people i know at penguin. though not directly involved with this project one of the suggestions was that the book was supposed to be being announced on monday for pre-sale, pre-order on amazon etc. ie it would be "available" to be ordered with a publication set some time in the future. thats why there were no "review copies printed". But its not finished... and not ready... And that cover is a mock up not the real thing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom