Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

well that came out of nowhere

Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

Wow! I mean, WOW! How has this been kept so under the radar? I would imagine that publishers will be 'literally' fighting to sign Our Mozzer. Penguin could regret this decision, but they are obviously very uncomfortable about 'something' in the book. Perhaps they were worried about being sued. Morrissey will be gutted at losing Penguin, it suits him to be on Penguin, but he obviously wasn't prepared to take out the content in question. If other publishers take the same stance as Penguin, and Moz doesn't compromise, the book could remain unpublished for some time... perhaps that was the plan... A little bit of theatre and LOTS of press speculation. What great publicity... the unpublished book that they're all talking about, with the burning question, "WHAT is it that Penguin wouldn't publish?"
Hmm.

Rosy van Bleu

I hate it when they do not actually give a reason for something. It's a statement with no content. I was expecting a classic title.....?!

That explains why he's walking around London.

Pinche morrissey for gods sake handle business put the book out finish a tour and put out some new material I love you but your killing me smalls!

This all sounds very odd... Almost unbelievable
The book is/was due out on Monday! But no copies printed?
Moz falling out with penguin is nothing surprising...
He falls out with everyone.. Apart from the hired hands and yes men in his band.. Boz must be a saint...

That was well under the radar. What another cruel stroke of the whip for Morrissey. Personally I've thought he would be better going to Faber and Faber than Penguin. With Morrissey it's all about the label. The right fit for him. Of course now we will be all wondering what the content disagreement was about. Most likely a person perhaps. Legal wrangles could have followed.

The silver lining is that the autobiography is completed. He just needs to find a new publisher and I think he will have no problems there. Imagine if a preview copy had been printed. They would be worth their weight in gold. Love the Penguin Classic cover too. Was that going to be the cover?

Erm... 16 Sep is next Monday, three days from now. Means that either the deal had collapsed some time before and Morrissey waited before breaking the news, or an entire print run had to be scrapped (no way that a book slated to be available on Monday hadn't been printed the Thursday before).

Silver lining of the book finally finished - yes. But if Penguin won't touch it for whatever reason, other publishers will be leery of it too.

May I suggest Babylon Press? They've published all his previous books so far... ;-)

A statement that a book that was to be released will not be released when no one knew a book was to be released.

Just a quick post here, (just logged in, will address the other topics soon!
Im writing out some reply's and saving them 2 microsoft word ! )
But its obvioulsy upto morrissey, but ive been saying this for years now, why doesnt he self publish?
His auto biography book will sell, and will be a world wide best seller, I dont really see who publishes the book to be of any real significance nor importance!
In fact its irrelevant!
He could allways buy a top of the range printer (yes im being serious here,) and print the book himself?
Its costs about just £1,300 for a top of the range printer that can sing and dance and do almost anything!
Print museum archive quality fine art prints and yes print books just as professional as dedicated book printers !

He can still always sell it via mail order via true-to-you.net and get the book into all major book store and music store outlets ect
This is morrissey were talking about! book stores and music stores ect will all fall over themselves to stock it irrelevant as 2 who the publisher is!

Maybe theres isssues regarding the book novel chart position ? and self publishing may not allow him and us 2 see the official sales and numbers ect ?
Dunno! but i do feel very strongly the way forward for morrissey is to not only publish the book himself in paper format but 2 also audio format 2 via a audio cd box set format, that wud be loverly! but it MUST be read by morrissey himself!
we accept no other substitute!
Think the way forward these days tho is audio books , people really enjoy and appreciate listening to the book read by the author!
Its relatively easy to record an audio book!
Look at patti smiths self auto biography "just kids" ?
Ive got it , and listen 2 it over and over agian! its wonderfull ! her raw honesty is incredible! and by far the best thing is that its read by patti smith herself! :)

Well the longer he delays publishing the book the more interest there will be!
The mans a genious ! LOL :) well we allways knew this anyways!

But ultimately, and in the end, its up 2 morrissey , its his book, he can publish it if and when he wants 2!

We can only a-wait in anticipation - if and when your ready moz!
But we love ya no matter what! :)

Just a quick post here, (just logged in, will address the other topics soon!
Im writing out some reply's and saving them 2 microsoft word ! )
But its obvioulsy upto morrissey, but ive been saying this for years now, why doesnt he self publish?
His auto biography book will sell, and will be a world wide best seller, I dont really see who publishes the book to be of any real significance nor importance!
In fact its irrelevant!
He could allways buy a top of the range printer (yes im being serious here,) and print the book himself?
Its costs about just £1,300 for a top of the range printer that can sing and dance and do almost anything!
Print museum archive quality fine art prints and yes print books just as professional as dedicated book printers !

He can still always sell it via mail order via true-to-you.net and get the book into all major book store and music store outlets ect
This is morrissey were talking about! book stores and music stores ect will all fall over themselves to stock it irrelevant as 2 who the publisher is!

Maybe theres isssues regarding the book novel chart position ? and self publishing may not allow him and us 2 see the official sales and numbers ect ?
Dunno! but i do feel very strongly the way forward for morrissey is to not only publish the book himself in paper format but 2 also audio format 2 via a audio cd box set format, that wud be loverly! but it MUST be read by morrissey himself!
we accept no other substitute!
Think the way forward these days tho is audio books , people really enjoy and appreciate listening to the book read by the author!
Its relatively easy to record an audio book!
Look at patti smiths self auto biography "just kids" ?
Ive got it , and listen 2 it over and over agian! its wonderfull ! her raw honesty is incredible! and by far the best thing is that its read by patti smith herself! :)

Well the longer he delays publishing the book the more interest there will be!
The mans a genious ! LOL :) well we allways knew this anyways!

But ultimately, and in the end, its up 2 morrissey , its his book, he can publish it if and when he wants 2!

We can only a-wait in anticipation - if and when your ready moz!
But we love ya no matter what! :)

Every word of this is GOLD.

P.

[COLOR="#006400"

Where can I buy one of those printers? I'd like to be entertained at work :D

More seriously, I don't mind the deal fell through. If Penguin were asking Morrissey to remove some of the things he wrote, then he shouldn't sign with them. Personally, I'd prefer to never read it than read something that's been polished and is not a true reflexion of what he really wanted to say. I want the 100% real Morrissey or nothing.
But it might just be me...

Very odd. No pre-publicity at all for an unannounced book due to be published on 16th September, and that news announced on 12th September? Not a sniff on Amazon? No review copies?

It doesn't add up. The truth of this has not be revealed. Smells like bullshit to me, and perhaps we'll hear the other side of the story from Penguin at some point.

If this statement is true and content is the reason, that can only be two things: legal or its no good. Unlikely it is the latter, as he has tales to tell, unless its an Alan Partridge "Needless to say I had the last laugh." which would seem to chime in with his personality traits.

With nothing else to flog is it possible he has brought this to the fore urgently to get something, anything, in the market? 2013 has been a disaster for Morrissey. He needs to reevaluate his situation urgently. It can't end like this, can it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom