Morrissey's Age

Anyone else find it weird seeing Morrissey in his late 40's? I last saw Moz in concert in 1990 when I was 22 years old. Then I saw him again last night in Boston. I have dutifully bought Vauxhall and I, Your Arsenal, You Are The Quarry since then. Never did pick up Ringleader, but I like most of what I have heard.

But its odd seeing Morrissey older now, I have to admit. The Smiths were such a youthful band and Morrissey was sort of an alternative to the older bands when I was in college, etc. I'm not saying anything negative, its just odd. Seeing him I guess reminded me I am getting older too.

It doesn't help I guess wearing the tux and the big ring and stuff. He just doesn't project the youth like he once did and I think its why the younger generation of today hasn't picked up on the legacy of The Smiths and Morrissey. They influenced all the bands they love (Incubus, Modest Mouse, Manic Street Preachers, etc.) yet they have no idea. I know some people in their 20's and if I talk music with them and mention Morrissey, they are like who? Yet they love Dave Matthews Band.

Maybe the key for Moz to reach larger audiences is to take a DMB like persona to some degree, a guy about his age who has reached the younger audiences. I dunno, its just his age kinda struck me last night.

But the show was great. He sounded good. I think he has more music left in him, but if he wants to keep getting recording deals, he needs to reach more than just the loyalists like us.

He's like a fine wine and tastes better with age.......;)

It's rather the opposite for me. I am very young and was never really aware of him until the 2000s, so it's odd to see pictures of him from the Smiths or early 90s. Although I know that it's him, there seems to be a definite lapse between the lanky, fresh-faced Moz of yore and the more muscular, wrinkled (not in a bad way!) Morrissey that is around today. They are hardly the same person in my mind.
Still, I'm glad that he isn't acting youthful to try to lure in more listeners around my age, because it would be horribly fake. And, to me, the very essence of Morrissey is that he's real.

Last edited:
I should pick up Ringleader, it sounds great the songs I have heard and I like the hard sound of it. I did buy Live at Earl's Court.

The show was great last night. I am not saying anything bad, its just odd for me someone who struck me as a young voice in music to the tired old voices when I was young......has now become old himself. Like me. :(

But he still sounds great. I don't advocate Morrissey being "fake"....but on the other hand, I'd like to see him appeal to others if only because I'd like his legacy to be more recognized (and especially that of The Smiths) and because if he's going to continue to put out records, it would help. I'd like to see more people like yourself "discover" Morrissey.

As he`s roughly ten years older than me it doesn`t seem strange at all.As it seems to me he hasn`t aged much at all.Its rather like with yourself-you look in the mirror and just see you.You don`t feel you look older until you see an old photo.With Morrissey he just looks like Morrissey.Still divine ofcourse.:Di rather like his transformation from the gawky skinny shy thing he used to be to his besuited "Mozfather" look.:p

I would quite embarrassed if Moz was still wearing women's blouses and gladioli to concerts, dyeing his hair and pretending to be 23 to get in with the young crowd. I think most of his fans would be as well. Morrissey's lyrics and attitudes are timeless and universal, and he knows that so age has no significance for him or his fans. He is aging gracefully and for that I am thankful :). I got into Morrissey when I was 10 :D

It's rather the opposite for me. I am very young and was never really aware of him until the 2000s, so it's odd to see pictures of him from the Smiths or early 90s. Although I know that it's him, there seems to be a definite lapse between the lanky, fresh-faced Moz of yore and the more muscular, wrinkled (not in a bad way!) Morrissey that is around today. They are hardly the same person in my mind.
Still, I'm glad that he isn't acting youthful to try to lure in more listeners around my age, because it would be horribly fake. And, to me, the very essence of Morrissey is that he's real.

I'm the same- another new younger fan and I only discovered him through my own persistence in tracking down information about him, it's almost like some private club for those 'in the know'! But that's quite nice I think, although I don't want him all to myself or anything daft like that, there is an interesting fan base through the fact he's not that commercial or even that accessible immediately. I don't know many people who aware of him actually, and those around my age (early twenties) are largely quite oblivious which is a shame.

But, I agree with the point above, if he did go out there making a conscious effort to be commercial and to play the game I would hate it and it wouldn't suit him at all. A big part of the charm is the fact he's always done it his own way and isn't going to change that anytime soon. I love how he protests he gets ignored by certain TV shows or award shows etc, but in reality he'd turn it all down if it was actually offered. The thing I wish I guess is just that he'd actually be played on the radio, I really don't understand why he's ignored in that area, it makes no sense to me, and it is the music that's the most important thing.

I do think his legacy is quite safe, I have no doubt that people are going to continue discovering and recognising his contribution for quite some time to come, perhaps when he's still around, perhaps not.

I'd also rather see the debonair Moz than someone trying to act or dress like a hip 20 year old.

We could turn this into a "you know you're getting old when..." thread. I heard the DJ play Mark Ronson's stop me yesterday. Before he played it he had a "classic flashback" or some similarly named vignette, with the Smiths original. The DJ added that the Smiths were "long before his time" :eek: Makes you realise that in just two and half years time Morrissey will have released music in four different decades.

Last edited:
I also disagree that younger people dont know moz/smiths....when I was in highschool people told me I looked like a younger morrissey, and told me to listen to the smiths, and that's how I got into him...if it wasn't for "young people", I wouldnt be a moz superfan today

I don't think 'younger people' are ignorant of Morrissey and The Smiths. It seems like every band around mention him in interviews. The likes of Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance get slated when they try and show their love of The Smiths, so they can't really win!

Anyone else find it weird seeing Morrissey in his late 40's? I last saw Moz in concert in 1990 when I was 22 years old.

I was 22 in 1990 - what month were you born?

....although I don't want him all to myself or anything daft like that......

I think most Morrissey fans feel like they have him all to themselves, even if we know it's not realy true! It's something about the way he sings to us

I sort of came back to Morrissey. After 1987 I still listened to and lvoed my Smiths but didn't realy listen to Morrissey - I was in a different place. Then came back to him with the release of You Are The Quarry. Since then I have baught pretty much all his back albums, and a efw Smithes ones I didn't have. (Or needed to replace from vinal) So seeing him as a much older dude is quite easy for me. I too actually find him now quite hard to relate to the Morrissey I loved 20 years ago.

It does sometimes feel like watching a different person when you watch clips of The Smiths days. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever and although nobody can stop getting older, all they can do is try and age gracefully and he's done that. It makes me cringe seeing people like Elton John wearing the sort of clothes an 18 year old ned would buy, getting involved with artists like Tupac Shakur.

I don't think 'younger people' are ignorant of Morrissey and The Smiths. It seems like every band around mention him in interviews. The likes of Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance get slated when they try and show their love of The Smiths, so they can't really win!

People like me trash those crappy bands when they mention Moz because THEY SUCK..... not because they like Moz. I've never said a bad thing about Radiohead's love for Moz.

That's fair enough, but I don't see why someone would say that FOB or MCR shouldn't be able to talk about Morrissey or do Smiths covers just because they're not a fan of their's.

That's fair enough, but I don't see why someone would say that FOB or MCR shouldn't be able to talk about Morrissey or do Smiths covers just because they're not a fan of their's.

Those geeks should NEVER cover any Moz/Smiths songs because they are crappy and they will ruin the songs with their inmense level of suckiness.

AFI is another one..... I hate them!

Back
Top Bottom