MorrisseyOKE - monthly Morrissey karaoke in East LA featured in LA Weekly article

Ben sends the link:

This Morrissey Karaoke Night Is Amazing (VIDEO) - LA Weekly

Excerpt:

This is MorrisseyOKE, an all-Morrissey karaoke night at Boyle Heights bar Eastside Luv. Since it started up three years ago, MorrisseyOKE has become a monthly ritual for a close-knit group of Morrissey superfans, who make the trip to Mariachi Plaza to cheer each other on as they take turns singing Smiths and Moz tunes.

Moz-screenshot-Shannon1.jpg

NEWSFLASH !!!!!!

Sorry to interrupt this really important post but today I saw a poster of The Smiths in a barbers shop ! ( oh am I still wet ! )

BTBB

This sounds like fun, but what happens afterward when it's time to walk back to the car in Boyle Heights, especially if you are white?

This sounds like fun, but what happens afterward when it's time to walk back to the car in Boyle Heights, especially if you are white?

You get killed.

:D No in this neighborhood you get a contact high from a hipster smoking out in front of a closed shop or asked for change by a homeless man.

Not to be blasé but the idea of spending an evening listening to superfans sing the songs of my mind baby discography of dreams in kermit the frog voices sounds like a nightmare. :straightface:

The amount of shit I got from these Moz krew types at concerts in LA for being a white guy was ridiculous. Rude, loud, FAT, and obnoxious. "Puto, why you here, homie? You don't know what it's like to grow up on the streets, wedo. Only we can understand Moz. This concert is FOR US." Ugh.

CrystalGeezer - I think hearing your true voice in any way, shape or form, now that would be a nightmare. you and the "elite" fans on this site take your positions (like they mean much outside of this forum) so highly that anyone else is mocked. give it a rest, so what if you're a registered user, does that nickname give you the peace of mind that comes with comments like yours? If this is your attitude here, I would pass on trying to have a decent conversation with you in a public place.

You might get messed with, however it's still better than walking at night to your car if you are Hispanic or black in America. We get harassed by the police.

The amount of shit I got from these Moz krew types at concerts in LA for being a white guy was ridiculous. Rude, loud, FAT, and obnoxious. "Puto, why you here, homie? You don't know what it's like to grow up on the streets, wedo. Only we can understand Moz. This concert is FOR US." Ugh.

No different than Hispanics going to orange county. Same shit, different color. Dirt bags will be dirt bags and they come in all colors.

If you are a some Brit reading this in West Lankinshire United, or a fan in Austria, this is very unique to Los Angeles. Mexicans going to Morrissey concerts and saying this shit to white people when Morrissey is one of the whitest guys around and Morrissey isn't from the "streets" as all his family photos show of him frolicking around the USA as a youngster.

Sounds like you encountered some ignorant people. Fortunately, not all Latinos are going to be like that, but yes, many have chips on their shoulders and are too ignorant to realize that it's not all about the skin color, but about the system. And yes, most of them are are gordas consumers of animal products (which means they are perpetuating the very persecution they purportedly resent.) Sad. The few times I've dealt with that kind of hostility I confronted them and they backed down or just admitted that they're racist. Pathetic.

Anyway, none of the MorrisseyOKE singers in the photo have a microphone. Weird.

BundleBear

My name is Rod Pardey, I run a fan page (Instagram.com/iwearthesmiths). I frequent MorrisseyOke at Eastside Luv nearly every month. It is nearly 90% Latino. I am white and I have never experienced anything but hospitality and kindness. I've made a lot of great friends there, too. I never feel unsafe either. If you live in LA, and you love Moz, then you must understand: it's a rite of passage to attend this incredible party. There you go. My two cents.

Those of you posting racist comments under the Anonymous moniker are such losers.

Last edited:
CrystalGeezer - I think hearing your true voice in any way, shape or form, now that would be a nightmare. you and the "elite" fans on this site take your positions (like they mean much outside of this forum) so highly that anyone else is mocked. give it a rest, so what if you're a registered user, does that nickname give you the peace of mind that comes with comments like yours? If this is your attitude here, I would pass on trying to have a decent conversation with you in a public place.

I completely understand you the same thing happened to me at the L.A Morrissey concert and I'm Hispanic the amount of moz crews with oversized pompadour assholes I ran into and the really vicious Rockabilly girl so called Mozerian fans were so mean if you didn't have on a big red flower and red lipstick or a huge physcobilly pomp then they just ignored you or were totally rude so rude fortunately I ended up standing next to some really nice gentlemen that came all the way from England to see Morrissey in L.A which really made all the jerks that had ruined my night go away they even protected me from those type of people the rest of the night all I'm saying is doesn't The Man himself Morrissey preach world peace and for humanity to get a long why be mean why be rude why claim the name Morrissey as if it's a crew and you don't meet the standards then your not a real moz Fan it's makes me sad that I have to be a quiet Morrissey fan and single myself out because I don't meet the crew requirement sad just so sad

You get killed.

:D No in this neighborhood you get a contact high from a hipster smoking out in front of a closed shop or asked for change by a homeless man.

Not to be blasé but the idea of spending an evening listening to superfans sing the songs of my mind baby discography of dreams in kermit the frog voices sounds like a nightmare. :straightface:

I love when Moz sounds a little froggy.

My name is Rod Pardey, I run a fan page (Instagram.com/iwearthesmiths). I frequent MorrisseyOke at Eastside Luv nearly every month. It is nearly 90% Latino. I am white and I have never experienced anything but hospitality and kindness. I've made a lot of great friends there, too. I never feel unsafe either. If you live in LA, and you love Moz, then you must understand: it's a rite of passage to attend this incredible party. There you go. My two cents.

Those of you posting racist comments under the Anonymous moniker are such losers.

this. im embarrassed by this thread and most of whats been posted as ive never encountered anything like this. ridiculous. i mean even if i was gonna judge by only the photo alone with no personal experience, they look soft as anything. normal middle age hipster types looking normal. ridiculous

As someone who's been a couple of times, it's a lot of fun and there are some really nice people there... I have to start going more often!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom