Morrissey will never record another album?

A few things to unpick here. Yes, he has a core of people who will follow him. But since urging people to vote for a far-right political party and declaring that he prefers his own race, that core has shrivelled massively from 50,000 to under 10,000 people willing to buy his albums (UK) which takes him well below the threshold of any serious record company deal. In the last 20 years, a record company just needed to know he had one or two decent songs on a new album, Radio 2 would get behind it, and the album should be safe for 50,000 sales (or over 300,000 for Quarry). Now, it doesn’t matter how good the demos are that he submits to record companies, they know the songs simply will not get played, as radio stations do not want to be associated with a far-right racist. That is a massive difference to his viability as a recording artist (which is what this thread is about).

In terms of a live act, since the Bona Drag era, whenever he plays a song off the latest album the large majority of people at the show won’t know it, and are waiting patiently until Suedehead or How Soon or whatever. That has been the case for 30 years, not the last 10. Most people there don’t care about his latest stuff – they wanna hear The Smiths. And they also don’t care which political party he supports, or whether he prefers his own race (and yes, most of the squabbles round here are meaningless). They wanna hear those amazing Smiths songs. It’s like when I go to see a band like The Cure. Never bought a Cure album but I know and like around ten of their singles. Couldn’t care less about Robert Smith’s political views. Just like seeing The Cure for a bit of 80s indie nostalgia, like most of the people at a Morrissey concert.

Morrissey has actually lost a big chunk of his live audience, maybe half in the UK, but it hasn't disappeared completely and never will (two half full arena shows earlier this year). He can still play reasonably sized venues around the world, as the decline is much smaller outside the UK - elsewhere, his idiotic political statements did not get widely reported (hence the likes of Green Day recently saying they had no idea of his politics when they agreed to the duet). And he is not currently ‘unfashionable’ like he was in the late 90s, and therefore able to bounce back at any given moment. He is (widely considered to be) a deeply unpleasant, far-right racist, and there is a massive difference between the two.

You make a good point about the radio boycott and the difference between his UK fanbase and global one. I've always felt that this sudden rush to 'cancel' Morrissey wouldn't be quite so fervent if his actual music was better, though. He's survived all sorts of stupid remarks and PR disasters - remember his God-awful "book"? I'm not saying that those were on the same scale, but it's amazing what people will overlook and forgive for the sake of art. Maybe he just gave his fans thin gruel for too long and when it came to it, they thought "He's over the hill anyway, I'm not missing anything if I cut off now". I didn't go when he played in Leeds this year - not due to politics but because I started to feel that he was just going through the motions every time, the band looked bored, he often sounded tired. In some ways he has over-toured and it becomes robotic after a while

Thread starter hopes Morrissey never records another album.

As for the "Bwaaaaah! He's such a racist! All his fans are deserting him!" snooze-fest, his haters have been saying that since the early 90s, possibly earlier.

And yet, here we are in 2020. Still talking about him, numerous albums and tours later.

In any case, Morrissey is a multi-millionaire who has left his mark on popular music and will be remembered for generations to come. He's already won at life.

M will keep making records and recitals!!!
He is MORRISSEY,he is a heavyweight in music him!!!!
There will allways be people interested in hiring it.
They will allways hire him to do recitals.
If he withdraws he will do it by his own decision.
There is MOZ for a while thank god!!!!.
Central is off!, what will happen,someone knows?

This is what Morrissey should do, release albums every 2/3 years on any distribution label he can and play smaller venues, adding additional nights when they sell out. Would be great to see him in these types of venues again!

6F7429FF-839E-4E9F-9D56-3F20F0E37698.jpeg

Last edited:
M will keep making records and recitals!!!
He is MORRISSEY,he is a heavyweight in music him!!!!
There will allways be people interested in hiring it.
They will allways hire him to do recitals.
If he withdraws he will do it by his own decision.
There is MOZ for a while thank god!!!!.
Central is off!, what will happen,someone knows?

Ok love, you need to calm down...

Yes, here we are, all thirty of us.
Absolutely hit the nail on the head albeit unintentionally (I think) , the same debate that circles almost every thread here is completely irrelevant, the outside world is for the most part blissfully unaware of what goes on here and thank gawd for that.

You make a good point about the radio boycott and the difference between his UK fanbase and global one. I've always felt that this sudden rush to 'cancel' Morrissey wouldn't be quite so fervent if his actual music was better, though. He's survived all sorts of stupid remarks and PR disasters - remember his God-awful "book"? I'm not saying that those were on the same scale, but it's amazing what people will overlook and forgive for the sake of art. Maybe he just gave his fans thin gruel for too long and when it came to it, they thought "He's over the hill anyway, I'm not missing anything if I cut off now". I didn't go when he played in Leeds this year - not due to politics but because I started to feel that he was just going through the motions every time, the band looked bored, he often sounded tired. In some ways he has over-toured and it becomes robotic after a while
You didn't go to Leeds because you felt he'd over-toured although it was March 2018 when he last played a gig in the UK so two years had passed. You do seem to follow him so that surprises me you would miss that chance to see him, what if it's another two years or three or even more? Morrissey sang 24 songs that night and I was proud as punch to see him back on UK soil, he was fantastic.

This is what Morrissey should do, release albums every 2/3 years on any distribution label he can and play smaller venues, adding additional nights when they sell out. Would be great to see him in these types of venues again!

View attachment 57372
Saw Echo & The Bunnymen at The Barrowlands 'celebrating' 25 years, well I say saw but the whole gig was shrouded in dry ice ( Jack The Ripper style) and bad lighting so McCulloch and the band were practically invisible the whole gig. They've had some great songs for sure but not sure I'll go to this one as I suspect being older they might be even more hidden by stage effects!

A few things to unpick here. Yes, he has a core of people who will follow him. But since urging people to vote for a far-right political party and declaring that he prefers his own race, that core has shrivelled massively from 50,000 to under 10,000 people willing to buy his albums (UK) which takes him well below the threshold of any serious record company deal. In the last 20 years, a record company just needed to know he had one or two decent songs on a new album, Radio 2 would get behind it, and the album should be safe for 50,000 sales (or over 300,000 for Quarry). Now, it doesn’t matter how good the demos are that he submits to record companies, they know the songs simply will not get played, as radio stations do not want to be associated with a far-right racist. That is a massive difference to his viability as a recording artist (which is what this thread is about).

In terms of a live act, since the Bona Drag era, whenever he plays a song off the latest album the large majority of people at the show won’t know it, and are waiting patiently until Suedehead or How Soon or whatever. That has been the case for 30 years, not the last 10. Most people there don’t care about his latest stuff – they wanna hear The Smiths. And they also don’t care which political party he supports, or whether he prefers his own race (and yes, most of the squabbles round here are meaningless). They wanna hear those amazing Smiths songs. It’s like when I go to see a band like The Cure. Never bought a Cure album but I know and like around ten of their singles. Couldn’t care less about Robert Smith’s political views. Just like seeing The Cure for a bit of 80s indie nostalgia, like most of the people at a Morrissey concert.

Morrissey has actually lost a big chunk of his live audience, maybe half in the UK, but it hasn't disappeared completely and never will (two half full arena shows earlier this year). He can still play reasonably sized venues around the world, as the decline is much smaller outside the UK - elsewhere, his idiotic political statements did not get widely reported (hence the likes of Green Day recently saying they had no idea of his politics when they agreed to the duet). And he is not currently ‘unfashionable’ like he was in the late 90s, and therefore able to bounce back at any given moment. He is (widely considered to be) a deeply unpleasant, far-right racist, and there is a massive difference between the two.
Show me a Moz fan who gives a flying f..k about Greenday's opinions, still can't believe Moz roped in that BJ character for Wedding Bell Blues.

Thread starter hopes Morrissey never records another album.

As for the "Bwaaaaah! He's such a racist! All his fans are deserting him!" snooze-fest, his haters have been saying that since the early 90s, possibly earlier.

And yet, here we are in 2020. Still talking about him, numerous albums and tours later.

Ah, but the world of the Nineties wasn't quite as filled with the hate of today.

The Politically Correct Police weren't as powerful back then - at least not in Europe - and people were far more free to think for themselves.

(Well, relatively more free, at any rate . . . )

Everyone has been cancelled since he made a few garbled statements - The Labour Party, J K Rowling, the entire comedy world - it turns out every bitch has unacceptable views in the eyes of the Twitter mob.

He has said nothing that he can't walk back from & is very unlikely to actually BE a far right racist.

He will get back in the media if he wants to or if he's well enough.

Ah, but the world of the Nineties wasn't quite as filled with the hate of today.

The Politically Correct Police weren't as powerful back then - at least not in Europe - and people were far more free to think for themselves.

(Well, relatively more free, at any rate . . . )

I think it's coming to an end - it really was a circular firing squad & we're running out of people who haven't been shot.

Maybe it's just fanciful {or the fancy of a fool?} but for the past 20 odd years í have maintained a single visual motif in my head regarding Morrissey's 'career' path. Nothing that í have seen in the last two decades, and even in the last two years, has given me cause to doubt that motif.

It comes from the climax of Tony Richardson's great 1962 film of "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" and features Tom Courtenay as Borstal Boy Colin, the Archetypal Smith. If you haven't seen the film, then what's your excuse? Please watch now.

But the following images sum up the superb ending ~

Smith end 1.jpg
Smith end 2.jpg
Smith end 3.jpg
Smith end 4.jpg

Or in clumsy old words ~ "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

A professional, immaculate self-sabotage artist, unparalleled.

í recently read that writer Simon Goddard, Mr Moz {a title he no doubt now disowns?}, has the self-same idea {or had, at least, in 2012} of the connection between this scene and Moz's attitude. From Julie Hamill's blog ~

https://www.juliehamill.com/post/21343446594/fifteen-minutes-with-simon-goddard-author-of

"J: What best sums Morrissey up for you?

S: Tom Courtenay, in The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner, at the point where he stops at the finishing line. He could win the race but he refuses to go any further. Morrissey is the definition of rebellion, he does absolutely what he wants to do, and no one can make him do anything else. Whether you agree with him or disagree with him or what he says, that’s a true punk rock attitude. Most people, deep down want to be liked.
"

But í saw it first. Promise.

Meanwhile, here's a diverting video. "Stop treating talent like it's synonymous with character"
Or as Suzanne Moore put it, "Cancellation is not activism, it's performance"

Everyone has been cancelled since he made a few garbled statements - The Labour Party, J K Rowling, the entire comedy world - it turns out every bitch has unacceptable views in the eyes of the Twitter mob.
He has said nothing that he can't walk back from & is very unlikely to actually BE a far right racist.
He will get back in the media if he wants to or if he's well enough.

Of course, he is not a far-right racist. You know that, I know that. Anyone who has followed him closely over the years knows that. He is as big a fan of George Galloway as he is of Nigel Farage. He also urged people to vote for Bernie Sanders at the last US election.
What he is, is spectacularly foolish and unbelievably naïve. He told everyone clearly and unambiguously, through his own personal website (can't blame a journalist or a malign website/publication) to vote for a far-right political party. And then he proudly wore their emblem at concerts and on TV shows beamed to millions. Breathtaking idiocy.
He probably didn't even realise that they were right wing such is his level of political cluelessness. Their website doesn't say "we are racist" or "we are far right" so they can't be, is his simplistic attitude. The nice lady in charge says some good things about identity, security and animal rights. That's his level of understanding but it's caused him and his reputation unprecedented damage.
The vague notion of being cancelled on social media is not really the issue here. It's the very real-world act of radio stations deciding to no longer play your songs which, despite all the advances in technology over the last 20 years, is the only effective way of advertising a new album.
The resultant drop in sales has been nothing short of catastrophic, and may well mean no more albums. We’ll see.

Of course, he is not a far-right racist. You know that, I know that. Anyone who has followed him closely over the years knows that. He is as big a fan of George Galloway as he is of Nigel Farage. He also urged people to vote for Bernie Sanders at the last US election.
What he is, is spectacularly foolish and unbelievably naïve. He told everyone clearly and unambiguously, through his own personal website (can't blame a journalist or a malign website/publication) to vote for a far-right political party. And then he proudly wore their emblem at concerts and on TV shows beamed to millions. Breathtaking idiocy.
He probably didn't even realise that they were right wing such is his level of political cluelessness. Their website doesn't say "we are racist" or "we are far right" so they can't be, is his simplistic attitude. The nice lady in charge says some good things about identity, security and animal rights. That's his level of understanding but it's caused him and his reputation unprecedented damage.
The vague notion of being cancelled on social media is not really the issue here. It's the very real-world act of radio stations deciding to no longer play your songs which, despite all the advances in technology over the last 20 years, is the only effective way of advertising a new album.
The resultant drop in sales has been nothing short of catastrophic, and may well mean no more albums. We’ll see.

I expect he'll get back if he doesn't do anything worse. They're not going to hold it against him forever.

Back
Top Bottom