'Morrissey, we're through' by Cameron Cook - article at Noisey

Morrissey, We're Through - Noisey
by Cameron Cook
Illustratration by Efi Chalikopoulou

"In the wake of Moz's James Baldwin T-shirt debacle, this long-term Smiths fan wonders if it's finally time to break up with his hero."

39838_1491227336089-Morrissey_noisey.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is a moron. GO. We don't need you. A person not liking reggae makes him racist? f*** reggae.

James Baldwin would've hated you.

Bengali In Platforms is a great, honest song.

Transgression? What are you, a Cardinal? f*** off.

The cab drivers in NY don't speak english and it's a f***ing problem.

This idiot reminds me of the people who say, "I am never coming back again!" And then, they come back the very next day. Typical millennial moron. GO AWAY.

"In the wake of Moz's James Baldwin T-shirt debacle, this long-term Smiths fan wonders if it's finally time to break up with his hero." https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/morrissey-were-through
Tedious 'modern' media approach to news.
Report a trivial 'outrage' and hope 'likes, comments & shares' amplify their view to give it validity.
Where, in the real world, no popularity algorithm or 'clicks' are required to see through the tripe.
"There is no love in modern life... "
Quite.
Like, share & subscribe if you agree.
Yawn.
FWD.

Race???? WTF is RACE? Don't buy the bullshit powerful people intend to sell you to create social divisons and dominate poor people. A lot of "black", "jew" and "latino" people support Trump. It's the economy, stupid. It always was and will be about money. Like when strong people were captured and sold in Africa for money by their own people and later were used and abused to build the American Empire with slaves. Or when sionists robbed their own people with the help of Hitler sending them to a far (nightmare) land called Israel.
If there's a race here we should protect that's human race. You shouldn't tolerate any other nazi classification based on the tone of your skin or the "origin" of your blood.
Make your own life, enjoy your own tastes, f*** the people you like and don't buy bullshit. Smart sammers make money with your stupidity manufacturing prejudices. Obama and Trump included. Fake liberals and psychos making a living buying and selling hate.

That was kinda painful. He can feel how he wants but I think the part where he comments on being hyper aware of any racial transgression down to the slightest remark is kinda telling on perhaps some paranoid over sensitivity. The being called the black kid in the morrissey shirt is maybe an example of this and reminded me of Chris rocks comments on people being to sensitive and politically correct to the point of sillyness. talked about how even saying the guy sitting next to the black kid and was viewed as racist by some and how people are addicted to the rush of being offended. As for Baldwin I dont think being black was the central tenant of his work as least not in his fiction writing though it was obviously a major factor. I would say his focus was human nature often the depressing side of it. I don't think he'd be happy being so absolutely defined by his skin color either. He did write about depression and had some dark thoughts and moment in his life including being on the brink of suicide at times and some really volital tense romantic relationships that left him really emotional unstable. least of all he was wearing black in he picture. A lot this would be easily relatable to morrissey I think. To the central idea though that a white person, an artist, cant put a black artist deeply admired by the first who probably feels they shared themes and highlights this with a lyric is taking there hyper awareness of racial insensitivity much to far imo. To the point where they can only seem to see, and look for, racial offense and will believe whatever improbable reasoning to see it while ignoring the more obvious like meaning. In this case the homage to Baldwin as being talented and influential. Even to white people. As for the other comments about his racial insensitivity I think have been discussed to death. The Union Jack incident, tell it to suede and there nme cover or Brit pop in general and Pakistani people and Pakistan are a nation and a culture not a race. It is possible to dislike culture because unlike race it does effect your actions and beliefs though it was discriminatory to lump all Pakistanis as adherents to the dominant culture. Etc etc

I don't feel the Baldwin t-shirt is racist at all. Morrissey has inspired countless many to READ BOOKS and become literate.

Let me explain... As a result of my devotion to Morrissey, I went BACK to school to receive a graduate degree (M.A.) in English with a focus on English literature. I wanted to understand Wilde (and Kerouac/Cassady) and other writers. Morrissey (and others, such as Natalie Merchant, Michael Stipe) have helped me to love reading. I am all the better for it.

There is simply no context for this t-shirt to be considered racist. On a separate note, one of my professors stated that we are sadly ALL racist... because race/racism is thoroughly institutionalized throughout our culture and lives. The concept of race--which is a social construct--is impossible to escape because of capitalism.

Morrissey's messages transcend race and gender--they always have.

I reckon who is "Madness"? Redondo beach is a fooking top mental reggae song. Uncle Steve is just like every other Irish immigrant who did everything the proper way and followed the rules to become an American, that is why he hates illegal aliens who don't try and learn to speak American. From Irish Immigrant to Mayor of Malibu. The American dream.

Not to say one shouldn't have a sense of self worth and a healthy ego to drive them. But I think the core issue and root problem is the idea of identity, identity (self and cultural) sets up walls between us, a feeling of difference and 'better than you' that separates all of us from any real human contact. This I feel has to be dealt with first before we could even look at issues/problems of race,gender,etc.

interesting drawing, just too bad this world is full of crashing idiots and the internet has just magnified ten fold peoples faulty belief systems and ignorance for better or worse.

We'll Let You Know rated your post
clear.png
Troll in this thread :laughing:

WE'LL LET YOU TROLL :thumb:

Last edited:
why does he have to be a hero? Why not just someone who's music you love? Unless you personally know a musician, you really can't judge someone that way. Second, it's not racist. Maybe a little insensitive, but there is no hate there.

Fickle fool. It should take more than a t-shirt to break up any relationship. Moz doesn't have to be a hero. He just needs to sing great on great songs. Everything else is peripheral.

I have one very important question: what did James Baldwin think of reggae?

I didn't break up with Moz because of a t-shirt. I dumped his ass 15 years ago because he's a pompous, irrelevant, hack, has-been twat.

f*** him.

SJWs shouldn't be Mozzer fans. He isn't one of them, he never was, even going back to his 80s interviews. If they listen to his lyrics even from The Smiths' era it should be obvious.

He mocks people. He actually likes mocking people and likes f***ing with people's worldviews/opinions. He likes being outrageous. He likes f***ing with the press. he likes controversy.

SJWs are only OK with you mocking WHITE MALES and f***ing with WHITE MALE belief systems/worldviews, Mozzer f***s with ALL of it. As he should.

He's a nihilistic absurdist with a touch of romanticism.

Morrissey doesn't talk about race, at least until now. Maybe that shirt was a bad idea, but knowing him we know his intention was the best, like when he wrote Bengali. Everyone who talks about race in one way or another way is a racist. There is not good or bad racism. It just exists. If cops kill a man, all humans should be concerned. It's a human problem, not a race problem.
Talking about "culture". That word, like words god and race, is being used to justify atrocities and to keep feudal situations going on. Today, culture is used as an argument to submit, enslave and kill human beings. Kill culture. Rescue people. No single culture worths the life or pain of a living being.

Morrissey doesn't talk about race, at least until now. Maybe that shirt was a bad idea, but knowing him we know his intention was the best, like when he wrote Bengali. Everyone who talks about race in one way or another way is a racist. There is not good or bad racism. It just exists. If cops kill a man, all humans should be concerned. It's a human problem, not a race problem.
Talking about "culture". That word, like words god and race, is being used to justify atrocities and to keep feudal situations going on. Today, culture is used as an argument to submit, enslave and kill human beings. Kill culture. Rescue people. No single culture worths the life or pain of a living being.

You utter f***ing idiot. How old are you? I guess 15.

Why should I believe him?
Didn't Moz do a reggae tuned song like Redondo Beach?
(Which I quite like)

Maybe he changed his mind, just a tiny little bit? Only to make this song and after that he considered it vile again. And so what? He can think AND say what he likes. Or is it forbidden to have preferences in musical taste, or has it to do with saying ALL reggae is vile? So this is racist? Just asking.
If a black hiphop artist says all classical music is vile, is that racist then? Not to me. It's an opinion.

No, with hindsight Moz has to be called racist, now, today, tomorrow and always.

Funny how he rates the appreciation of his Mexican fanbase.
They are keeping schtum, ignoring his racist remarks, why?
They are all deluded of course! They delude themselves!

This fan has seen the light after 30 years of deluding himself.
I can't help but feel he was anticipating and hoping to feel enraged.
And any hero worship will end cause heroes are humans too and not perfect and will fall from their statue.
But it doesn't sound very convincing to me.
Not as convincing as James Baldwin.

By the way, I am white of course and very privileged.
O God, I feel so privileged and it's such a good feeling.
Never going to give it up, never.

im sure Morrissey couldn't give two f***s about some guy who used to be a fan.its all about opinions and context,tese days you don't even get the benefit of the doubt.ps- its only took him about three weeks to form an opinion on it.old news lets move on coz this stories been battered to death.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom