'Morrissey, we're through' by Cameron Cook - article at Noisey

Morrissey, We're Through - Noisey
by Cameron Cook
Illustratration by Efi Chalikopoulou

"In the wake of Moz's James Baldwin T-shirt debacle, this long-term Smiths fan wonders if it's finally time to break up with his hero."

39838_1491227336089-Morrissey_noisey.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, but you are missing a big part of morrissey's comment. He said reggae is vile because i the glorification of black supremacy. That's why that comment is considered racist

Did he really say that?
I missed it.
And it is a nonsensical statement just as saying blues, soul, disco, hiphop and rap are a glorification of black supremacy.
Or saying classical music, rock, punk or indiemusic is a glorification of white supremacy.
Not that I can remember anyone saying that.

You could say Moz contributed to the glorification of black supremacy many years later by the song Redondo Beach as it was a reggae song.

I agree the comment can be seen as racist as such but is he really racist? Not to me. I can't believe he is when he expressed so much affection for so many other black artists and his appreciation for a black writer like James Baldwin.
I doubt a racist would do that.

He likes controversy and his statements are never very well thought out before he makes them.
To get his name in the press he accepts the downside of bad publicity. You know the saying there is no bad publicity, only publicity.

I don't like it but for me it is not a reason to burn my cd's, albums and never listening to his music again.
Cheers tyronepowebottom!

He likes controversy and his statements are never very well thought out before he makes them.

In other words he is a troll. So when he does something stupid like put these words and that picture on the same shirt, it's okay to say it was done to get attention. That is undeniable. A t-shirt is merchandise and is also promotion. So it worked in that sense. And people are still talking about Morrissey's latest insensitive action in 2017 so he is a successful troll. It's too bad he isn't more well known for his music, and that things like this t-shirt weren't handled with more tact, social awareness, and a higher standard of artistry, but that's why in a sense he is two people.
One is the singer and the other is the public figure. I think the problem the Mozbots have is liking the singer and being unable to accept what you say here, that his statements are rarely well thought out, at least if you take them seriously. If you see them as trolling then comparing the mass murder of innocent children to Colonel Sanders fried chicken is perfectly thought out.

I still like the singer and the songs but I'd like him better if the public figure would stop courting controversy in such a stupid way as this shirt. As far as intelligence I think Morrissey is clever, but not smart. It's clever to take all those lines he stole in the early days and make them into great songs. He's sort of the Kanye West of his time but instead of repurposing music he repurposes words. And Kanye is also very clever. But neither of them is smart. Both are done in by their own actions.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the very first word of this article is incorrectly used, I can't be bothered to read further.
yeah, that's completely insupportable.

as an aside, i'll tell you something else that really irks me: when people say, for example, "hilary nor donald trump"--without 'neither' in front of hilary! you cant do that! you have to use either "neither" or "not" along with it. i knew this when i was 7. it would be unnatural for me to say 'nor' without 'neither' or 'not' along with it. oh, it makes me so mad. whenever i hear anyone say 'nor' on it's own i tend to regard everything they say thereafter as so much inconsequential fluff.

When Morrissey, the ultimate outsider's outsider, makes outsiders feel even more outside- and not in a good way, I can see where that would be something that would sting.

I love the man and his music, but sometimes I find myself wishing that he would talk less and create more.
He definitely has his embarrassing older relative moments where you just want someone to gently remind him that what flew back in the day doesn't translate well now.
Excellent post. Well put; and a great first line. Close the thread. Nothing more needs to be said.

There is.....hope......

Were you speaking to yourself?

Give me a break. To use "myself" for "I" or "me" -- that is insufferable. And f***ing retarded.
My point is that it is s very well-written article, but you wouldn't know that because you are a grammar nazi. (It's a figure of speech, I am not calling you a nazi!)

I do like this statement attributed to baldwin.

I do not necessarily view morrissey as a particularly loving public persona. I could never see morrissey making this statement, ever. Morrissey just isn't that loving to matter of fact understand the humanity without hate.

Oye! What a self-absorbed, whiny piece of palaver. Moz has the best fans and the worst fans perhaps. There's nothing "wrong" with the infamous shirt in my opinion. Anyone who's read the autobiography knows where Moz's heart and mind are concerning Mr. Baldwin.

I do like this statement attributed to baldwin.

I do not necessarily view morrissey as a particularly loving public persona. I could never see morrissey making this statement, ever. Morrissey just isn't that loving to matter of fact understand the humanity without hate.

one wouldn't be able to understand anything, especially humanity (if that's even possible) without oneself being able to experience a wide range of emotions. Possibly one would have to be both angel and devil to understand humanity.

We'll Let You Know rated your post
clear.png
Troll in this thread :laughing:

WE'LL LET YOU TROLL :thumb:

Last edited:
one wouldn't be able to understand anything, especially humanity (if that's even possible) without oneself being able to experience a wide range of emotions. Possibly one would have to be both angel and devil to understand humanity.

He is.

Let's be honest about it.. it's really bloody difficult to be a Morrissey fan these days : liking his music comes with so much baggage, sometimes he's like the sensitive, tuneful incarnation of Nigel Farage,

Let's be honest about it.. it's really bloody difficult to be a Morrissey fan these days : liking his music comes with so much baggage, sometimes he's like the sensitive, tuneful incarnation of Nigel Farage,

It has always been bloody difficult to be a Morrissey fan.
Nothing has changed.
But there is a reward. His music, lyrics, the albums and the liveshows.
Think about how bloody difficult it is to be Morrissey.
He has said some things about that in the past.

I don't get the impression he is some kind of incarnation of anyone in particular.
Sometimes I get the impression he is some kind of a medium.
I remember someone stating this here, on this site before, don't know for sure, think it was Crystal Geezer.

I think many of his songs are less autobiographical then most people tend to think.
I don't know how it works of course.

Sometimes I think he is just completely empty but somehow is able to receive the inner feelings of people, dead or alive and express these feelings and voicing them.
He can't do nothing about that.
It's just happening to him.

Note: I am a bit sensitive about art and the magic involved within it.
But only in art.
Cheers! :thumb:

Given enough time it's difficult to be fans of a lot of people from Iggys romances with 13yo groupies to Elvis Costellos need to outrage with his racial slurs to bowies appropriation of gay culture to chuck berry filming women in the bathroom. Personally morrisseys not as tough as some to like and not that difficult to be a fan of when comparing the sustained quality of his music over the years compared to some

Given enough time it's difficult to be fans of a lot of people from Iggys romances with 13yo groupies to Elvis Costellos need to outrage with his racial slurs to bowies appropriation of gay culture to chuck berry filming women in the bathroom. Personally morrisseys not as tough as some to like and not that difficult to be a fan of when comparing the sustained quality of his music over the years compared to some
He's no Gary Glitter, that much is certain.

He's no Gary Glitter, that much is certain.

Hell iggy even wrote a song about it. His politics were also kinda muddled to say the least. Ian from lost prophets is gonna be in jail forever and I don't even wanna type what he was found guilty of but this kinda stuff goes on and on and there albums continue to sell to someone. As I lay dying we're a Christian metal band and the singer was found guilty of trying to murder his wife by hiring a bit an but people still listen which I find weird. Many people love to believe that six stabbed Nancy to death. Hell thats a big part of his legacy and what sells his books forty years later

If someone has learned how to get backstage to meet Iggy Pop before they're old enough to drive a car, of course the right thing to do would be for Iggy to give an autograph and keep moving. But when the women who were groupies in the 70's talk about it now they don't see themselves as victims.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom