"Morrissey Wasn't Dropped By His Record Label" - Billboard

Re: Morrissey "...still under contract..." with Harvest - Billboard.com

Saw this in the other thread. Can't wait to see his response. Never a dull moment.

Hmmm I wonder will Moz distance himself from True-to-you and ban Julia for life from future concerts??? That would be a classic move.

You would think the offending article (if indeed it did offend anyone) posted on True-to-you would be edited or removed fairly lively. Talk about conflicting stories. I hope it works out and that we see a new Moz album in 2015, and not just a contractual stop-gap. I can imagine the stop-gap already: redux of World Peace with 90 minutes of mush at the start of 'I'm not a man' (instead of 90 secs of mush), and the spoken word songs played backwards under an overdub of random tyre-squealing from Istanbul, with a warning on the back cover of the CD warning people not to buy it.

Someone at Harvest is trying to save face. He's under contract for two releases. The other could be a greatest hits or live album or something else that isn't new music. Harvest could still have told Moz he can't make another record. Or maybe Universal have reconsidered their position given the negative backlash generated by the TTY post

I keep trying to come up with some kind of scenario where any of this makes sense, and I just...can't. Not even from a misguided, semi-strategic (on Morrissey's part) standpoint.

Like I said in the other thread. Read. Between. The. ||||||.

Morrissey is not happy with Harvest and wants out of the contract. He's trying to cause problems to force the label to drop him. I guess his drunken and pill-induced rant aren't working!

Like I said in the other thread. Read. Between. The. ||||||.

Morrissey is not happy with Harvest and wants out of the contract. He's trying to cause problems to force the label to drop him. I guess his drunken and pill-induced rant aren't working!

Got to give you credit, looks like you called it.

Might be a good excuse for Moz to deliver that covers album instead of giving Harvest new original materia.

I think that would be a wonderful idea.

Even for Morrissey land this seems...odd.

Though I suppose I can think of a handful of situations were this could all make sense.

Bottom line: Morrissey trying to get off the label - label saying 'uh, no. let's have the second record please'.

As to why, well he's fed up with them, no they didn't make a proper video for any of the singles and some of their other decisions appear to have been questionable, but it's very possible Morrissey didn't play ball (e.g. agree to any promo) and so they couldn't be bothered to spend money.

Is this going to be a regular pattern with Moz now, then?

Morrissey: "The Penguin book deal fell through and I'm looking for a new publisher."
Penguin: "Er, no it hasn't. Here's the book!"

Morrissey: "The label has dropped I. I is looking for a new label."
Harvest: "Er, no we hasn't! Where's our second album??"

Morrissey at a signing for his first novel:

Fan: "Can you sign 'To Jocasta, Love Morrissey', please?"
Morrissey: "Sign what? I haven't written a book! Where am I, please?"

I open my Facebook and two stories at top of my feed are new Johnny Marr song and this story. 30 years on...Amanzing.

i disagree, but this is hilarious!

p.s. %

Morrissey: "The Penguin book deal fell through and I'm looking for a new publisher."
Penguin: "Er, no it hasn't. Here's the book!"

Morrissey: "The label has dropped I. I is looking for a new label."
Harvest: "Er, no we hasn't! Where's our second album??"

I laughed out loud at the last line.

Can you imagine if Morrissey had a real job in the real world and carried on like this?

morrissey HAS a real job in a real world and he carries on like we see...

p.s. apologies

Devious, truculent and unreliable
What a judge said about the rock star Morrissey.

Judge Weeks ! Just like a camera that never lies

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Corn, FAN and skinny must be so disappointed :( This announcement certainly dampens the fuel they consistently add to the fire.

Harvest got the box set out on the wrong day.
Harvest made a mess of promotion - Morrissey actually had more press interviews after the release of Kill Uncle in 199x than the release of WPINOYB.
Harvest even failed to get him booked onto Jonathan Ross TV show, which seems rather odd.

The thing is that Sanctuary were very good.
When they signed Lou, they had a great photosession event.
Harvest are not Santuary. No way near as good.
No illene. No x. No y. No z.

The fact that WPINOYB got to number2 - with all of this catastrophic, stupid incompetance - is unbelievable.

The only thing that Harvest did do right - or was it Universal - was finding a decent studio and a fanastic producer.

In the end, we now listen to the greatest album Morrissey has released and produced since Your Arsenal or Vauxhall And I, or both.

Morrissey sounds amazing on WPINOYB. Boz and the gang also.

For that alone, I am truly looking forward to the next tour to see these songs performed live and grateful that Morrissey continues to push forward, pushing the boundaries and his talent to new levels. In a year where he has been very ill, what a fantastic job.

Harvest got the box set out on the wrong day.
Harvest made a mess of promotion - Morrissey actually had more press interviews after the release of Kill Uncle in 199x than the release of WPINOYB.
Harvest even failed to get him booked onto Jonathan Ross TV show, which seems rather odd.

The thing is that Sanctuary were very good.
When they signed Lou, they had a great photosession event.
Harvest are not Santuary. No way near as good.
No illene. No x. No y. No z.

The fact that WPINOYB got to number2 - with all of this catastrophic, stupid incompetance - is unbelievable.

The only thing that Harvest did do right - or was it Universal - was finding a decent studio and a fanastic producer.

In the end, we now listen to the greatest album Morrissey has released and produced since Your Arsenal or Vauxhall And I, or both.

Morrissey sounds amazing on WPINOYB. Boz and the gang also.

For that alone, I am truly looking forward to the next tour to see these songs performed live and grateful that Morrissey continues to push forward, pushing the boundaries and his talent to new levels. In a year where he has been very ill, what a fantastic job.

Harvest also got handed a disappointing album without a radio friendly song on it. It simply isn't credible that a label dealing with a singer three decades into his career can simply "make" a classic hit album by making videos and posters. If it was possible Paul Anka would still be on MTV. A successful album is primarily made first in the writing process and then in the studio. It got to number 2 because these days you don't have to sell many copies to do so. I doubt 13,000 copies would have got him a top 100 album in 1985.

Besides, in his last statement Morrissey himself claims the first Smiths album got zero airplay or coverage and reached number 2 in the UK chart. It did so because the anticipation was immense following Hand In Glove, This Charming Man and What Difference Does It Make? This time we got the title track, Bullfighter and Istanbul. S Morrissey has established you can reach the top of the charts spending zero, why didn't he this time? I'm afraid the answer is simple. The album wasn't good enough.

Harvest also got handed a disappointing album without a radio friendly song on it. It simply isn't credible that a label dealing with a singer three decades into his career can simply "make" a classic hit album by making videos and posters. If it was possible Paul Anka would still be on MTV. A successful album is primarily made first in the writing process and then in the studio. It got to number 2 because these days you don't have to sell many copies to do so. I doubt 13,000 copies would have got him a top 100 album in 1985.

Besides, in his last statement Morrissey himself claims the first Smiths album got zero airplay or coverage and reached number 2 in the UK chart. It did so because the anticipation was immense following Hand In Glove, This Charming Man and What Difference Does It Make? This time we got the title track, Bullfighter and Istanbul. S Morrissey has established you can reach the top of the charts spending zero, why didn't he this time? I'm afraid the answer is simple. The album wasn't good enough.

Kiss Me A Lot is clearly radio friendly, I struggle to see how anyone can say otherwise. As for dissappointing album, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. For me, it plays strong. I know that lyrically it is in most parts not as strong as Vauxhall, Arsenal or Viva Hate, but the vocals and music are better than the last five albums. And there is a return to storytelling, as opposed to You Have Killed Me type introspection, which for me makes it far more listenable.

Back
Top Bottom