Morrissey Central "Morrissey visits his mother's childhood home, 12 May 2023." (May 14, 2023)

33 NORTH GREAT GEORGE’S STREET, DUBLIN

0-3.jpeg

Morrissey visits his mother's childhood home, 12 May 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving it the old pensive farmer, “I remember when this was alllll fields….” look.

Sometimes, a picture is enough to coney the message. He’ll always keep his mother close to his his heart.

When did his mother leave Dublin? I think more than 60 years ago. Did this house stay in the Dwyer’s family during all these years? It looks like a nice place in this picture. If I remember correctly, both of his parents grew up in difficult times and in poor families.

Lovely photo.

Interesting that the building itself is basically a replica of the one his mother would have grown up in. According to a Dublin City Council document on the street's architectural history:

3.3.5 There were also a number of major developments in this period including the removal of the lower part of the eastern side of North Great George’s Street. All buildings at no’s 29-34 were removed in the early 1980’s due to concerns regarding their dangerous condition. They were latterly replaced by structures designed in the form of faithful replica. The structures opposite at no’s 22-25 were also similarly replaced later in the century.
Thank you for looking this up. You basically answered my questions.

Sometimes, a picture is enough to coney the message. He’ll always keep his mother close to his his heart.

When did his mother leave Dublin? I think more than 60 years ago. Did this house stay in the Dwyer’s family during all these years? It looks like a nice place in this picture. If I remember correctly, both of his parents grew up in difficult times and in poor families.

They won't have owned it, probably rented rooms. It's gentrified - this is what part of it looked like in about 1913 (nabbed from Pinterest)

Screenshot_20230514_204839_Chrome.jpg

They won't have owned it, probably rented rooms. It's gentrified - this is what part of it looked like in about 1913 (nabbed from Pinterest)

View attachment 91080

I think number 33 is next to the James Joyce Centre, at no. 35. Lots of high-brow events held in there, which seems apt.

A popular senator, David Norris, has lived on the street for decades and he was instrumental in the movement to modernise the houses, as described here - https://www.civilcertificates.ie/david-norris-on-40-years-of-saving-north-great-georges-street-2/

I don't think this street is mentioned in Autobiography, so the family might not have stayed there for long.

View attachment 91080
That looks so grim, but mire in line with what you could expect in this period around the second world war. I can remember visiting our grandmither’s house (= house where my mother is born) and it is not exactly the comfort we take for granted these days.

More content like this please-thank you, Morrissey Central.

It's never likely to happen but it would be interesting to see a picture of Morrissey with his father just to see the trunk and a twig of the family tree at once so to speak.

This is sweet. No negative comments for this post. Wish it was like this all the time.

But, if I understand correctly, he just asked to leave the airplane and he wasn't allowed to do it.
No point in understanding anything correctly on this forum, that is unless you enjoy being alone with your thoughts ;)

Lovely photo.

Interesting that the building itself is basically a replica of the one his mother would have grown up in. According to a Dublin City Council document on the street's architectural history:

3.3.5 There were also a number of major developments in this period including the removal of the lower part of the eastern side of North Great George’s Street. All buildings at no’s 29-34 were removed in the early 1980’s due to concerns regarding their dangerous condition. They were latterly replaced by structures designed in the form of faithful replica. The structures opposite at no’s 22-25 were also similarly replaced later in the century.

It's kinda sad to learn that really, he's sat outside something that isn't his mother's former home, Morrissey could have saved the airfare.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom