morrissey u.s. popularity

Popular enough to sell a pretty well attended tour. Can sell out places like the Hollywood bowl for a couple of nights and Madison square garden and shows in heavy morrissey fan areas as well as play places like red rocks etc even in the era of the iffy morrissey statement or interview. he’s extremely well known thanks to the smiths getting a new wave of popularity when quarry came out and his early solo stuff is still regarded as classic. His last five albums chargted fairly well for him here. Quarry had a number eleven, ringleader scores 27, years of refusal 11, world peace 14, and low in high school 20. Not as well as the u.k maybe but the u.s is huge compared to the u.k

Popular enough, but viewed as more of a joke to many due to the track record of aborted tours here.

I reckon there are no "aborted tours" in Uncle Steve's hometown Moz Angeles inn nn it. I reckon Steve is all the rage down at The Sunset Marquis, Dodger games, playing beach volleyball on Malibu, and the famous jet ski races to Zuma with John Lydon, Steve Jones, Dave Evans, William Michael Albert Broad, Ozzy, Jack, & Kelly.

I reckon there are no "aborted tours" in Uncle Steve's hometown Moz Angeles inn nn it. I reckon Steve is all the rage down at The Sunset Marquis, Dodger games, playing beach volleyball on Malibu, and the famous jet ski races to Zuma with John Lydon, Steve Jones, Dave Evans, William Michael Albert Broad, Ozzy, Jack, & Kelly.
He rarely cancels the big payday shows in NY and LA. I wonder why that is? Must just be really good timing or something...

He's never been big here. He's truly been an "alternative rock" artist from the get go. Interestingly "STDIB" is STILL receiving airplay on AAA stations. Certainly his biggest "hit" here in some time.

He rarely cancels the big payday shows in NY and LA. I wonder why that is? Must just be really good timing or something...

He did cancel the big KROQ Acoustic Christmas show in LA. I was shocked, as this was a sold out show which he was headlining.

He did cancel the big KROQ Acoustic Christmas show in LA. I was shocked, as this was a sold out show which he was headlining.
Yes, with many other bands to split the dough with. I don't think that was a cancel as much as a strategic retreat though.

He cancelled MSG 2007 and Barclays in 2014 off the top of my head..Kind of a joke now but people still show up.

He cancelled MSG 2007 and Barclays in 2014 off the top of my head..Kind of a joke now but people still show up.
Only slightly less than they used to. Many people who have dealt with multiple cancellations end up moving on. I'm hard pressed to remember any cancellations in my concert going life apart from Morrissey. The Curiosa festival the Cure did back in 2004 was postponed due to a death in the family and returned minus the opening bands, Nick Cave was postponed due to 9/11, and Marilyn Manson cancelled a small venue show here in 1997 because the venue wanted s $1,000,000 insurance policy against damages. Apart from that, it's just Moz I believe.

How popular is he in u.s.?

The Smiths and R.E.M. were the darlings of college radio in the U.S.A. in the 1980s.
Hence the popularity amongst people my age the hysteria that went on also when Morrissey went solo. People usually develop a sort of bond with the music that they listen to in their teens. I also listen to the music I heard in my teens differently than any other song that I hear on the radio. Many my age have had children who are estimated 10-30 years old now and heard the Smiths and Morrissey songs when their parents listened to them at home or in the car and thus developed a similar attachment to the music as their parents did when they heard the music on college radio. Or to put it in Morrissey's words: you have to get them young. And he did with a large enough group as somebody else already stated. It is not true if Morrissey states that they did it entirely on their own without anybody's help, because they were played on college radio and got these mentions on television shows that are very important to become popular in the U.S.A. Apparently it is also important who wears t-shirts of The Smiths or Morrissey, something I find odd, but you'll have to search for long until a Brit or anybody from anywhere else makes a post that some person whom nobody else anywhere else knows wore one of these t-shirts, because it is simply not that important elsewhere. Very often there is this post "Blablabla wore a Morrissey shirt!" and I go "Who's Blablabla?", google, still don't know really, some actor or musician. When Morrissey once attacked two British musicians, the NME did something funny, they added a video of one of the two musicians in which he explained the difference between music marketing in the UK and the USA. The basic thing that I remember from it is that he said that Americans like to be told about an artist and Brits like to discover and it somehow put what Morrissey had said at odds.

The only cancelations I’ve had have been la roux and morrissey. It’s a sign of his continuing popularity that people still show up though. He might not be huge but he still at his age sells more cds and tickets than a lot of bands I love despite cancelations and interview statements etc. he still sells more than any other smiths member

Yes, with many other bands to split the dough with. I don't think that was a cancel as much as a strategic retreat though.

The shocking part is that KROQ was a big supporter of Morrissey and the Smiths and helped establish him/them in Los Angeles. It was like burning a bridge.

The shocking part is that KROQ was a big supporter of Morrissey and the Smiths and helped establish him/them in Los Angeles. It was like burning a bridge.
I wouldn't go that far, re: bridge burning. They've had a long relationship, and it's common knowledge that Morrissey is the cancel king.

I wouldn't go that far, re: bridge burning. They've had a long relationship, and it's common knowledge that Morrissey is the cancel king.

Well I'll tell you one thing, the kids don't seem to have any idea who Morrissey or the Smiths are. KROQ was trying to give away tickets to the Christmas show by having a contest where they'd recite some Smiths/Morrissey lyrics and the call-in contestants were supposed to say the next line. They went through about half a dozen callers with NO WINNERS!

They had to resort to the following question: "Morrissey had a big hit with 'Every Day Is Like Sunday' - NAME THE OTHER DAYS OF THE WEEK!"

Well I'll tell you one thing, the kids don't seem to have any idea who Morrissey or the Smiths are. KROQ was trying to give away tickets to the Christmas show by having a contest where they'd recite some Smiths/Morrissey lyrics and the call-in contestants were supposed to say the next line. They went through about half a dozen callers with NO WINNERS!

They had to resort to the following question: "Morrissey had a big hit with 'Every Day Is Like Sunday' - NAME THE OTHER DAYS OF THE WEEK!"
That's golden! And nothing new. In 2002, I was waiting at the stage door prior to the show in Eugene, which happens to be right next to the bus mall. TONS of people, and not just kids asked who I was waiting for, and their common reply when I said "Morrissey" was "Who?" The best though was a young man who replied "EUGH! Gross! My Mom listens to him!"

That's golden! And nothing new. In 2002, I was waiting at the stage door prior to the show in Eugene, which happens to be right next to the bus mall. TONS of people, and not just kids asked who I was waiting for, and their common reply when I said "Morrissey" was "Who?" The best though was a young man who replied "EUGH! Gross! My Mom listens to him!"
Are you sure you weren't just watching 'my life with morrissey'? That's, like, a direct quote from that (brilliant) movie.

How popular is he in u.s.?
Popular on both coasts, it seems, including with college-aged folks, from my decidedly non-scientific observations. The cancelled Boston show was sold out (and yes, the radio joked about it).

OT, Middle America and pods across the country seem enthralled with "new country" music....ostensibly being played on "country" stations but having no more to do with country music (the musicianship or themes) than I do to Hercules.

Are you sure you weren't just watching 'my life with morrissey'? That's, like, a direct quote from that (brilliant) movie.
Lol, I saw that when it came out and that line made me laugh twice as hard as it should have due to my experience. I've heard that line from more than one person though. The last time was a couple of years ago training the brand new 21 year old server at a pub I was working at.

Back
Top Bottom