Morrissey throws a heckler out of the Hamburg concert

Oh god I love Morrissey so much.
He's got a set of balls on him, man!!!!

:whip:

I was there and all I can say is that this guy was just embarrassing.

I didn't read everything that has been posted on this thread so far, because I'm really tired right now, but in the moment when Morrissey was talking to the guy and the lights came on I got so scared that it's all gonna go wrong again and the gig would end at that point. Then I got even more scared of Boz storming towards the audience making wild gestures, he looked mad as hell!

I have been living in Germany for a part of my childhood and youth and something that always slightly annoyed me was the cliché about Germans having no sense of humour. Now this one guy made it seem like the cliché is not just a cliché.

Moz just made a little joke, a witty remark and everyone in the room laughed, clapped and cheered, except for this one guy appartently, who didn't seem to understand anything.
What a prick, neither did Morrissey insult, nor make fun of people from Hamburg, the opposite actually. He was just being good old Moz, and that's what we love him for.
In the end, before/while the idiot was dragged out he even screamed "But I love you!"...would you tell someone you love to f*** himself, and that for no reason at all? I would't. :crazy:

Luckily the gig continued just as great as it started. Apart from that incident it was a fantastic concert, both Moz and the band looked pleased and happy during and at the end of the show, so I really hope they won't hold this incident against the Hamburgers/Hamburgists/Hamburgians/Hamburgese/...

Does anyone not feel AT ALL sad for the guy who heckled?

Yea, he was far too quick to jump to the conclusion that Moz was insulting his nation, but how many of us have probably done that once or twice in our daily lives? In the heat of the moment, you miss-understand what someone says and take it personally ... You yell and scream at them, then when you realise you got the wrong end of the stick you calm down and eat some humble pie...

People may say now, well if he is a fan then he shouldn't be telling his idol to F off .. well actually, the fact that he loves Moz is even more a reason to react impulsively. Hearing your hero mock (apparently) your nation is far more likely to arouse upset than if someone you didnt care about said it ...

This guy loves Morrissey. He said so himself. He will be utterly sick to the stomach at being thrown out, and for this, i really do feel for him.

'I love you' is not an excuse

Be honest people, Morrissey is the one who was wrong here, not the guy yelling.. And really, I'm a big fan of Morrissey.. Dont say: what would u do if someone said fy to you, because thats not the question. The guy involved was prob german, and english isnt his mothertongue. He thought the joke was ment to be provocative, and he responded in that manner. Classical form of a misunderstanding. Especially when the guy actually explained it, Morrissey shudve known this. So, misunderstanding get over it, and go on.

Be honest people, Morrissey is the one who was wrong here, not the guy yelling.. And really, I'm a big fan of Morrissey.. Dont say: what would u do if someone said fy to you, because thats not the question. The guy involved was prob german, and english isnt his mothertongue. He thought the joke was ment to be provocative, and he responded in that manner. Classical form of a misunderstanding. Especially when the guy actually explained it, Morrissey shudve known this. So, misunderstanding get over it, and go on.

I was thinking the same. It was obviously a misunderstanding due to the poor English knowledge of the guy (who was still rude, btw). And Morrissey should know it better, since he speaks no other language but his mother tongue. Even I struggle understanding his jokes, and my English is not bad at all. So, in the heat of the moment, both parties acted rather stupidly.

I was thinking the same. It was obviously a misunderstanding due to the poor English knowledge of the guy (who was still rude, btw). And Morrissey should know it better, since he speaks no other language but his mother tongue. Even I struggle understanding his jokes, and my English is not bad at all. So, in the heat of the moment, both parties acted rather stupidly.

Have to disagree. Being a native german, I dare say that people of Hamburg know all these references/jokes. They may not be the crispiest but as a long time resident of Frankfurt, i've heard them all and worse.
Worst thing that could happen would be a yawn.

Moz offered 'hamburgist' as a nice alternative which should receive a smile.

This was not about the grasp of language
Younger germans (under 50/ 50ish) would understand enough english to understand or imagine that a misunderstanding is on their part.

I wouldn't say 'FY' to someone unless I knew I was insulted.

It was just plain rude n abusive toppled with 'lets make up I love you' BS.

Last edited:
I wasn't there, but if somebody dares to insult MORRISSEY tonight I'm gonna throw him out by myself!
Can't wait to see the show in Dusseldorf tonight! I somehow fear it's the last time I have the chance to see him live. And I don't want anybody to ruin this evening. MORRISSEY is the only idol that I have. And if someone does him bad, well, then he attacking me too.
I just hope it's not the final tour...but it just looks like it...

i was kind of on morrisseys side until i saw the video. his tone is just completely arrogant and nauseating. i still don't blame him for leaving liverpool but this i think he definitely could have and should have handled a bit better.
I think his voice is very soft. He doesn't shout loudly...Arrogant? He has been insulted....Well, he is a bit hurt..
I think he handles that rather well, he doesn't lose his temper...:confused: He seems akward to me.
But I think there was a misunderstanding here too, the guy thought Morrissy was insulting germans.

Last edited:
The guy's english seemed good enough for him to shout 'go f*** yourself'. And it must have been pretty close up and direct, if Morrissey heard it whilst singing.

I don't know why people criticise Morrissey for reacting to personal insults - who wouldn't reeact in someway if they had that shouted at them? Or had a bottle lobbed at their head - just because someone is on stage, it doesn't mean that the rules are different. And when you are under stress, or feeling vunerable, it is much harder not to react to provocation.

I was just remembering the time that John Prescott thumped the guy who egged him - certainly not the 'professional' response, but it was a refreshing change to see a gut reaction, and not someone holding it back just to preserve their career.

The guy's english seemed good enough for him to shout 'go f*** yourself'. And it must have been pretty close up and direct, if Morrissey heard it whilst singing.
I don't know why people criticise Morrissey for reacting to personal insults - who wouldn't reeact in someway if they had that shouted at them? Or had a bottle lobbed at their head - just because someone is on stage, it doesn't mean that the rules are different. And when you are under stress, or feeling vunerable, it is much harder not to react to provocation.

Yes, especially when you have been insulted or hurt in front of many people...The offense is worse!
When Morrissey throws people out, he has a good reason to do so!
Not like Lou Reed, who once yelled at a guy because he didn't applaud him, went in a rage and quit the stage because he was booed!

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty straight-forward case of burnout to me. Morrissey's been pushing himself too hard. I don't think of this as a referendum on his character, so much as evidence that he's totally stressed-out.

Turning 50, encountering ill-health, thinking of retirement, canceling so many shows - Morrissey seems self-aware enough to know that he's in a tough spot, especially for a man who lives in the spotlight. He's not handling it as well as he could, but at least he's still reasonably functioning.

Even in the best of times he was a somewhat volatile personality; and yes, I'm cutting him some slack, because he's just as entitled as the rest of humanity to some form of midlife crisis.

never met any hot dogs meself (except the other dogs here :horny:) but I once met a tepid turtle from Tupelo.

There's not enough in that story to upset anyone though. :(

Other than that I feel a bit sorry for people, the audience, the band, Hector, the Harmless Hamburgit (well someone thought that so hard we heard it), the old lady getting soaked at the bus stop in Rimini, and when you remember we're all going to die, it's actually depressing.

:guitar: (Oh ffs not now, Salomon.)

Tags
gis a cud grumpy old men moz team boz team moz
Back
Top Bottom