Morrissey the pub landlord!

lux girl

In Moz We Trust
Travelling through Ireland I saw this pub. Unusual that it says Morrissey and not Morrissey's, which is the norm.
Of course I went in , but there was no sign of the man himself, had a pint anyway!!

Last edited:
That's very normal. Morrissey is a surname,and as you know an irish surname. People have the right to use their surnames when they are giving a name to a pub..:o

Sinefil said:
That's very normal. Morrissey is a surname,and as you know an irish surname. People have the right to use their surnames when they are giving a name to a pub..:o
Correct -there's a Morrissey's pub in Abbeyleix, Cahir, Clare, Dublin etc. a few TD's (thats MPs to everyone else) called Morrissey, numerous sports stars, shops. A quick search on Google.ie even gives a Steven Morrissey, who plays for Techniform in the Waterford Factory League. I even found this:
http://www.morrisseys.ie/
Morrissey is quite a common surname over here - I went to school with a few Morrissey's. And Rourke's, Joyce's and Maher's.

Sinefil said:

My point is that the pub name isn't in the possessive case with an apostrophe and an "S". I'm Irish and aware of the fact that pubs usually have the family name over the door. This is unusual even here where we have loads of pubs!

Found this on a genealogy site:

Morrissey

As in the case of Morris, the bearer of the name Morrissey anxious about his forbears, is faced with many problems, unless he has a reliable pedigree of, or at least a well recognized tradition about, his own family. The only native Gaelic Irish sept whose name has been anglicized as Morrissey is O Muirgheasa, a branch of the Ui Fiachra: their territory was at the southern side of Sligo Bay. These are of MacDermot stock, being descended from Muiris, the grandson of a famous MacDermot, viz. Donogh na mainstreach(I.e. of the monasteries). It may be mentioned that MacMuirgheasa was the Gaelic form of their name used by the Fitzmaurices of Mayo. However, Morrissey is a name which is only very rarely to be found in any part of Connacht to-day: in fact it is chiefly confined to Munster, particularity Counties Waterford, Limerick and Cork. There is, it may be added, a place called Morriseysland near New Ross. No Gaelic sept of Morrissey is associated with Munster or Leinster. There was, however, a very powerful family called de Marisco. Whose first representatives in Ireland were Normans, attached to the house of Ormond, through which they obtained extensive grants of land. As is well known, many of the Norman families became thoroughly hibernicized like the Powers, the Roches, the Purcells, the Walshes etc. of that region. The de Mariscos adopted the patronymic MacMuiris and in due course this became in many cases Morrissey. An early form of the name in English is de Marecy. In other parts of the country genuine Irish Morrisseys (I.e. O'Morrissey, but in fact the O is never seen in English in this name) allowed themselves to be called Morris and Morrison. Morris, indeed, is a commoner name in Ireland than Morrissey (the proportion is eleven to nine). Here I must mention a further difficulty: Morrissey is also an indigenous English surname. It is nevertheless reasonably certain that the great majority of Irish Morrisseys are of hibernicized Norman Marisco stock. While Dr. St. J. Brooks (J.R.S.A.I. 1xii, 50) and Dr. D. F. Gleeson (J.R.S.A.I. 1xxi, 132 and The Last Lords of Ormond, pages 12,15) both agree with my opinion regarding the origin of the Morrisseys of Co. Waterford and south Tipperary, it should be stated that the sixteenth century Ormond Deeds and Fiants and also the "census" of 1659 indicate the presence of O'Morrisseys there who may have been Gaels or families of Norman stock who assumed the prefix.

Long story short, our dear moz could be descended from the normans!

When I was on holiday in Vancouver in May i discovered a pub called Morrissey's - apparently is was just an Irish theme pub and the landlord was a huge Moz fan so named his establishment after him.

The fans came and the landlord turned it into somewhat of a Morrissey themed pub - Moz memorabilia on the walls - the menu with "there is a light that never goes out" on the front and when I was in Beethoven was deaf was blaring from the speakers.

A great place to get drunk, disorderly and not a bit out of place when you writhe on the lino to november spawned a monster.

Lovely

JIM

Back
Top Bottom