Morrissey: The Last Unwoke Pop Star - The Post Millennial

Morrissey: The Last Unwoke Pop Star - The Post Millennial
By Libby Emmons and Barrett Wilson

Excerpt:

There was always only one Morrissey. But in 2019, this matters more than it ever has. All intelligent people know that we must separate the art from the artist. In our culture, this results in disallowing an artists’ real-life actions to affect the perception and appreciation of their art. It’s harder to apply this basic rule to Morrissey. That’s because, more than any other artist, Morrissey is his art.

full

Update:
The article link has subsequently been shared by Morrissey Official Facebook, Jesse & Morrissey Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if posters are displayed and someone speaks against them and they are removed, this is free speech. If music is banned from a music chain, it is their right to ban it. You can buy it elsewhere.
It's hardly dictatorship for a privately owned chain of stores to choose not to sell the music of an artist whose views they disagree with. This is free speech in action. What would you suggest as the alternative?
So what would censorship in action look like?

Can someone please send this to Morrissey? Thank you.
Why, don’t you think that Morrissey doesn’t visit this site hourly?? What do you think that Morrissey does of a morning after drinking his camoline tea and reading the weekly news and titbits,,, He, as we know will read every scrap of literature written about him, if he misses anything then he will be informed by the Dwyers, band, or legal eagles, you or we might have even exchanged pleasantries on here, and we never even knew!!! God bless and good night, Morrissey

So what would censorship in action look like?
cen·sorship
/ˈsensərSHip/
  1. .
    the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
In the US Walmart and other stores sometimes demand alternate versions of a record. It might be a different cover or it might be some lyrics deleted. So a private company is capable of censorship and it's not exclusively a government action.
But choosing not to sell records by someone is not censorship. It's business.
In the case of the posters at the train stations, a government agency did remove the posters but they didn't censor Morrissey. Someone who found his views offensive also found it offensive that the government seemed to be endorsing these views. But Morrissey can still say what he wants to say. And people can react to it. No one was censored.

cen·sorship
/ˈsensərSHip/
  1. .
    the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
In the US Walmart and other stores sometimes demand alternate versions of a record. It might be a different cover or it might be some lyrics deleted. So a private company is capable of censorship and it's not exclusively a government action.
But choosing not to sell records by someone is not censorship. It's business.
In the case of the posters at the train stations, a government agency did remove the posters but they didn't censor Morrissey. Someone who found his views offensive also found it offensive that the government seemed to be endorsing these views. But Morrissey can still say what he wants to say. And people can react to it. No one was censored.

Thanks for taking the time to write an interesting and considered response. I’m not sure I agree, but I will reflect on this. I suppose I might begin by pointing out that Morrissey’s ‘art’ is an entirety: it includes the promotional aspects, and can’t be limited to any one studio production/release.

Last edited by a moderator:
how come Untruth couldnt make the 'anti coup' protest over in manchester? 'surface' could have sent his invisible private jet to pick him/her up to join Skinny and his fellow unemployed knob heads holding cardboards on the sidewalk. o_O

anyone who is woke in wokedom was there.:lbf:

Thanks for taking the time to write an interesting and considered response. I’m not sure I agree, but I will reflect on this.
Personally, my opinion is that sometimes the response to these sorts of complaints is more than is required. I think it's wrong when some Christian or parents group manages to make it difficult for some rock band, although in most cases they just give them free publicity. But the point is, I'll compromise and say that if the railroad officials received one complaint and panicked maybe there was a bit of an overreaction. Because they serve the public and because Morrissey's views or statements were politically divisive, maybe it breaks their rules and was automatic. And I do see the difference between posters for his record and actually endorsing his statements. But I know it's very sensitive in the UK and maybe it's just something that they wouldn't want to sell space too.
This is beside the point but it's Morrissey's fault that he's become more well known for his statements than his music. That is his right, but it does come with a price.

I shall eat some of my words... just seen gene singing, sleep well tonight live from yesteryear. God he really did want to be Morrissey, the way he talks between songs and how he says it, the movement of the microphone stand, no wonder he ended up doing f*** all, just like menswear ( who)???

Gene is the name of the band. A collective noun. The name of the singer is Martin Rossiter and, despite the irritating Moz affectations, he had/has a decent set of pipes on him. Yes, he pushed the Moz thing too much in the early days, but the later albums are superb and Steve Mason, the guitarist and writer, was/is a fecking brilliant musician. They were brilliant live at a time when Moz's band were learning the ropes and concerts, though exhilarating, were musically bereft.

Gene are one of the few 1990s indie bands not to reform - Echobelly, Sleeper, even Geneva are back playing the pubs of the low counties as I type - but would be the only one I'd fork out cash to see again.

Menswear were a record company construct and have no place in any rational discussion about music.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that Uncle Peter is a colossal twat.

Sad old fame f***er. At sixty, circling los Angeles, desperately conspiring ways to get into the spotlight.

There’s no conspiracy to bring him down. It’s called tit-for-tat. ...and THAT’s how the real world works.

There’s not a loose cabal of far left globalist journalists funded by a manipulative upper echelon elite?

I think that’s how this world works right now.

And as more people try to decentralize information, the media & tech oligarchs and their sycophants try everything to suppress, deplatform, lie and smear.

Nobody gives a f*** if a westerner has an untoward remark about preferring their culture to mass immigration.. nobody but the aforementioned globalists and their poor stooges.

The tits for tat are going to expand our understanding as people continue to be galvanized by the little things... like when they have to encounter protesters at a f***ing Morrissey concert. :eek:

Did they get the night off from larping as antifa?

Sad old fame f***er. At sixty, circling los Angeles, desperately conspiring ways to get into the spotlight.
You seem to be searching for some attention yourself. Moreover, you’re exploiting a Morrissey fan site to find it. You are, as you know, really just a parasite.

Gene is the name of the band. A collective noun. The name of the singer is Martin Rossiter and, despite the irritating Moz affectations, he had/has a decent set of pipes on him. Yes, he pushed the Moz thing too much in the early days, but the later albums are superb and Steve Mason, the guitarist and writer, was/is a fecking brilliant musician. They were brilliant live at a time when Moz's band were learning the ropes and concerts, though exhilarating, were musically bereft.

Gene are one of the few 1990s indie bands not to reform - Echobelly, Sleeper, even Geneva are back playing the pubs of the low counties as I type - but would be the only one I'd fork out cash to see again.

Menswear were a record company construct and have no place in any rational discussion about music.

Geneva are back? They barely existed the first time round. Their single, Into the Blue, was brilliant.

I know about menswear and I know about gene. Gloves off, gene were a plastic smiths wannabe, had a couple of tot 40 hits and MR thought he could and should strut about a half empty venue thinking he was summet. If a singer, or band have no originality they won’t last two minutes in their chosen profession . The record buying public of England sussed him out straight away, that’s why the c*** is now working on the national express, cos his life is a mess... ps don’t ever mention gene and Morrissey in the same sentence ever again as it makes you look foolish among real pop music enthusiasts

Also I’m pleased that they have chosen not to reform , nothing but ten bob millionaires. If they did I would imagine the first gig would be in a Aldi car park in Chorley.... Rave on

they were summets that had a couple of 'TOT" 4o hits?:straightface:

Come on vegan ... i feel rather bored, please try your best to entertain me!!!

:rolleyes:

o_O

putting some
soy milk in his tea and listening to 'tot' hits
is like having a
wild party for this older cheeky
skinny puppet.doh:

Come on eh, I want to fight, scrap, and be very crude and vulgar, my semi has recoiled and is now chestnut at the mo...... you must try harder

:rolleyes:

o_O

WTF? "Scrap":straightface:
"vulgar"
"crude"

is this Uncle Monty?:screamcat:

I think this is a well-written article, one of the best of this kind, by this kind I mean fawning.
It's written to please The Moz. It's not quite circling the anus like that Fiona woman's but it's of that type.
It has truth in it. Moz has been picked on, for years- It's almost unheard of in music to have an artist treated like this, he seems to have affected people on such a deep level, that the haters just can't help themselves.
I hear Martin from Gene is planing a "farewell" concert, where he gets Gene together. The gig is for next year. This probably means there will be a tour. I mention this as I think it's safe to say Martin like Dave Haslam and Billy Bragg, will get his press attacking The Moz .
The only moment of notoriety Martin got in the last 20 years was with his "Why Morrissey is Dead to me" article for The Quietus. Martin has had one solo lp since Gene split up and that was ok but didn't get anywhere, his solo gigs didn't really sell.

It might seem like the UK is against The Moz, although it's true he has lost lots of fans, its not really the UK against him its a fragment of the Brighton/London Media- they are all friends more or less. I was a music journalist (I know hate me) and I 've been around this lot and they are careerists, they are like kids and they are connected. Dave Haslam, is friends with lots of the Guardian and The Quietus, Billy Braggs is friends with The Guardian and The Quietus. Martin is friends with Billy Bragg, Jurnos like Simon Price ( a long time The Moz hater) and The Quietus and The Graudrian.
It's funny as back in the day Martin was sold as a Moz superfan who "made it". Morrissey didn't want anything to do with Martin or Gene but as they were fans he was nice about them in public ( in private he thought they were shit). Martin did what all fans do he became friends with the band to find an "in". That didn't work, although Alian did sort out a very quick (10 minute) interview in LA. That was the one and only time The Moz and Martin spent time together. The Moz did let Gene play at his Meltdown show, but he didn't let them near the main stage, he got them to play like buskers in the bar ( obviously sending a "know your place" message).

Martin is a fan who styled himself on The Moz, trying to talk like him and sing like him, be like him. In truth, they were/are nothing alike.
Martin was someone who needed to join bandwagons. Brit pop and sliding along in The Moz slipstream picking up the Smiths/ Moz Fan base who never really got it
It was due to Brit pop being so huge that Gene got the audience they did, this was a time when guitar music took the UK by storm. Even an Oasis tribute band could sell out Brixton Academy.
It became clear to us that Martin didn't really have any connection with Moz as such he just wanted his fame. So he trolled him as a fan. Then once The Moz became unfashionable Martin trolled him as an Ex fan/hater. The famous people who connected with The Moz like Brett Anderson, Noel G, Damon Alban etc . have never talked smack about The Moz, in fact they defend him.

I mention Martin here, as a pre-warning of the next stage of attack on The Moz .
Martin will be sold as the lefts nice version of The Moz. Which is unfair as Martin is well known for using women for money, to get ahead. Shit, he even left his three year old kid to be with an LA comedian/Britpop groupie with money- no less than 10 months later he's launching his career. You full in the blanks

If The Moz got the Smiths together and done some gigs but sold the gigs as his solo gigs not Smiths gigs, when really they where a reunion, the haters would go wild. Martin is doing that and nobody cares. Martin is selling the gig as if its a solo gig, a farewell to his music career.
But Gene already did a farewell gig and Martin has only had one lp.
Its a real ego play having posters with only your name on, having only your picture but mentioning Gene are getting back together as if that's not the main reason tickets would sell.
If The Moz had to go to a go fund me website and didn't sell the haters would love it . Thats what happened to Martin, yet it's not mentioned.
If The Moz wrote a "Why Bowie is dead to me" article the haters would attack, Martin wrote his anti-Moz article and nobody minded.
If The Moz based his entire career around another persons work, the haters would destroy him. Martin did it, nobody minded.
If The Moz was a fan of a fraud like Johann Hari, the haters would rip him to shreds but Martin loved him and invited him to gigs on twitter. Nobody cared.
Just examples of the double standards at play

Getting back to the original post, The Moz has found himself in this position not because of these haters (most of which seem to love him really) but because of his own actions and words.
The Moz could have still left the haters standing like he always has if he didn't forget what he was about.
Over the last 9 years Moz has lost his way, its like he has forgotten what he was, what's great about himself and so he's just bouncing back and forth.
I think this has all happened due to the idiots he surrounds himself with, Jesse, Sam, his "minders" and a team of Fiona's all of which don't care that he's ruining his own career as long as they get their share- has their ever been a super fan leach like Sam in another pop persons life? Sam is happy to embarrass and throw his own uncle under the bus just to get likes on Instagram. I've never seen such a lack of love and respect before.
Its also evident, Sam is more like a Fan than a family member. He seems to have little understanding of his uncle.
Fiona, seems to live her life just waiting for an excuse to be able to write a The Moz "defence piece"

The results of all of this is Moz just isn't respected like he was. The reason tickets aren't selling is due to Moz not being seen to be the person he was. Not seen to be as cool or in touch.

I think he just needs to get away for a few years. No more shows. Then come back.

Yes martin is a prize slimey asshat.
He looks just like Martin Freeman these days.

Ffs. He's still trolling Moz just this time it's as a moz hater.

Gene were indie shit. They couldn't compete with blur, suede, plup or manic Street peachers, ket alone the greats.

The fact martin has tried to pretend he was getting gene back together to sell out a gig shows what a using slim ball he is.

Ive heard its defiantly true he f***ed off and left his 3 year old kid to try and lunch his career with the American.

The guy is vermin

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom