Morrissey, The Guardian & cancel culture

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
As you may have noticed, I am no fan of the Guardian newspaper. I consider myself a liberal person but the Guardian is just way too left wing, to a ridiculous degree.

Apologies if this has been debated on here before, but they did a review of his last album (about the only negative review I read, unsurprisingly) & stated how Morrissey fans 'have a hard time listening to him now because of his recent comments'. Does anyone actually think that's true? Or is it just virtue signalling wokeness because people seem to be scared to say what they actually think now?

Just look at what happened to Laurence Fox after he appeared on Question Time this year, or JK Rowling after she made those comments re periods. They both just gave perfectly reasonable arguments & were torn apart for them. It's gone too far.

I personally don't think Morrissey has said anything wrong; If you ask most snowflakes why they don't like him, they don't even really know what he is meant to have said.

This cancel culture needs to be stopped; the so called liberals are the most illiberal of all!

Hard to tell, people often say what they think they should say.

Cancel culture is very close to dead.

This cancel culture needs to be stopped; the so called liberals are the most illiberal of all!
If memory serves, Morrissey pretty much ended up cancelling himself. He was the one who decided to stop talking to the media after several incidents where interviewers had the temerity to report accurately things that he'd said.
Or are you perhaps talking about the large numbers of former fans who no longer wish to buy his records?
I ask for the simple reason that what you call 'cancel culture' is often no such thing. Someone's right to free speech does not confer on anyone else the duty to listen. And many, many people no longer wish to listen to Morrissey's music or his utterances.

As you may have noticed, I am no fan of the Guardian newspaper. I consider myself a liberal person but the Guardian is just way too left wing, to a ridiculous degree.

Apologies if this has been debated on here before, but they did a review of his last album (about the only negative review I read, unsurprisingly) & stated how Morrissey fans 'have a hard time listening to him now because of his recent comments'. Does anyone actually think that's true? Or is it just virtue signalling wokeness because people seem to be scared to say what they actually think now?

Just look at what happened to Laurence Fox after he appeared on Question Time this year, or JK Rowling after she made those comments re periods. They both just gave perfectly reasonable arguments & were torn apart for them. It's gone too far.

I personally don't think Morrissey has said anything wrong; If you ask most snowflakes why they don't like him, they don't even really know what he is meant to have said.

Oh dear. Just joined to make this point. See ya. It was good while it lasted. Actually it wasn't.

& stated how Morrissey fans 'have a hard time listening to him now because of his recent comments'.”

Well, If that is true, they weren’t really fans in the first place.

Also, in spite of what some may wrongly think, they don’t really accurately report what he says. I mean, they pull it out of context, best example being the ‘subspecies’ comment. If one knows Morrissey and his position on animal rights his passion for it, and if they read the interview and what the subject matter was that was being discussed between the interviewer and Morrissey, they would understand the comment better.

But don’t let the truth get in the way of creating clickbait. They’ll twist and turn the truth anyway they want as long as people will continue to visit their media site,etc. $$$$
And people really get off on being angry and being ... ‘right’, they can’t get enough.

Just look at the anti-Morrissey fools that habitually visit this site, they really get off on being angry at Morrissey, as if their opinions will actually change Morrissey and save the world. :lbf: Pathetic.

I didn't actually, I was just posting a thread. Thought it might be interesting to discuss.

I'm remembering now why I stopped coming on these sites in the first place...
ignore that fool skinflint,hes busy ironing his floral shirt,cleaning his nhs glasses and polishing his shoes for a neighbours haloween party,hes dressing up as,,,wait for it,,,,,MORRISSEY.

Back
Top Bottom