Morrissey: The Great Unfiltered Artist? by Fiona Dodwell - tremr.com

Morrissey: The Great Unfiltered Artist? - Tremr
By Fiona Dodwell.

morrissey-2017-cr-Samuel-Gehrke-billboard-1548.jpg

Excerpt:

"Could it be that this is what we need, in society? That Morrissey's honesty is the very thing that calls fans to remain loyal and steadfast in full defence of their favourite artist. In a society driven by the politically-correct, in a world obsessed with filters (both from online photographs to public opinion) we are so thirsty for an honest word, even if at times those words are not ones we agree with or sit comfortably with."

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excerpt:

Fiona Dodwell

Politics
Morrissey: The Great Unfiltered Artist?
1,098 words (4 mins)

upload_2018-5-25_14-37-26.jpeg

WHEN Morrissey released Low in High School in November 2017 - his eleventh solo studio album - fans were eager to uncover the artist's latest musical venture. Lyrically, Morrissey has always packed a punch; his unapologetic unveiling of strong personal and political convictions often leaving him stranded between the lands of genius and the other extreme - public outcast. His diehard fans are always by his side, the majority of them fiercely protective of their idol.

What is it about this artist that, from his early days with The Smiths in the 80s, and through the winding path of his solo career in 2018, leaves people so staunchly arrested and drawn to his music, lyrics, public assertions?

The music, essentially, is what has kept Morrissey at the top of the music food chain. A (rare) remaining giant in an industry that, according to him, churns out modern day pop-stars with nothing of much significance to offer. “I think the pop chart today is entirely market-driven,” he said, in an interview with The Telegraph in 2011) “And it has nothing to do with taste...nothing to do with moving music forward. People who’ve managed to grapple into the top five have done so because of an aggressive campaign, and nothing else.”

Morrissey has managed what is almost an unthinkable feat in modern day music: to remain opinionated, unfiltered, true to the art (and the self, as a result) and remained uncompromising. In his 2004 album, You Are the Quarry , Morrissey sings, “It's just more lock-jawed pop-stars/Thicker than pig-shit/Nothing to convey/So scared to show intelligence/It might smear their lovely career.”

Is it this, which makes Morrissey so significant in the industry? The construction of a career littered with iconic and much loved songs, tethered to a man who is unafraid to speak his mind, let alone apologise for it? Do his opinions irk us, if so, why?

EntertainmentPoliticsMusicMorrisseyControversy
Fiona Dodwell / Published author of four novels and several short stories Also write freelance for several magazines & websites

Fiona is a Moz fan and covers such issues he has touched upon such as political correctness, Middle East conflict and so on.

Read more:

https://www.tremr.com/Fiona-Dodwell/morrissey-the-great-unfiltered-artist

Last edited:
I think another element to consider when pondering why Morrissey is so essential is that is so clearly a man. In our modern feminized world, that is a rare thing. Whether it is chemicals in the water turning the frogs gay or whatever, there are very few men involved in music anymore. Who would have thought in 1993, watching the video for November Spawned a Monster that 15 years on the most hardy and masculine man in music would be Morrissey?

I think another element to consider when pondering why Morrissey is so essential is that is so clearly a man. In our modern feminized world, that is a rare thing. Whether it is chemicals in the water turning the frogs gay or whatever, there are very few men involved in music anymore. Who would have thought in 1993, watching the video for November Spawned a Monster that 15 years on the most hardy and masculine man in music would be Morrissey?

And who would have thought in 1993 that you'd have people on Morrissey forums cheerfully espousing notions of gender that are so inimical to those he has generally professed?

In fact, I would say that one of the most truly interesting and useful messages he's propounded is the uselessness, repressiveness and general stupidity of such essentialist ideas of gender. Not just for the gender fluid and in some sense non-heterosexual, but for everyone. The idea that being a man or a woman somehow defines what you can or can't, should or shouldn't, be, how you're supposed to feel, what you're supposed to expect of yourself. It affects everyone, and it's bonkers - to puncture it is truly liberating. And it puts paid to your ridiculous concept of man, as well as to the equally ridiculous notion of a feminized society, neither of which have any actual meaning unless one is prepared to fill them with purely ideological content.

And who would have thought in 1993 that you'd have people on Morrissey forums cheerfully espousing notions of gender that are so inimical to those he has generally professed?

In fact, I would say that one of the most truly interesting and useful messages he's propounded is the uselessness, repressiveness and general stupidity of such essentialist ideas of gender. Not just for the gender fluid and in some sense non-heterosexual, but for everyone. The idea that being a man or a woman somehow defines what you can or can't, should or shouldn't, be, how you're supposed to feel, what you're supposed to expect of yourself. It affects everyone, and it's bonkers - to puncture it is truly liberating. And it puts paid to your ridiculous concept of man, as well as to the equally ridiculous notion of a feminized society, neither of which have any actual meaning unless one is prepared to fill them with purely ideological content.

I agree we should try not be limited or typecast by our genders in society; however even Moz has aesthetic and personal notions of what masculinity means to him. Yes Morrissey did very early on in his career make a very interesting stand on ideas of gender.

Oh look. A right-wing website that misspelled RACISM as HONESTY.

What a load of Breitbart-lite bollocks.
I actually love skinny for having the COURAGE of saying how he feels in the face of redneck, uninformed STUPIDITY which has unfortunately engulfed my way of living, so f*** you, right wing asswipes and viva education and people with intelligence.

I actually love skinny for having the COURAGE of saying how he feels in the face of redneck, uninformed STUPIDITY which has unfortunately engulfed my way of living, so f*** you, right wing asswipes and viva education and people with intelligence.

pro rapist usual nonsense.

Tags
controversy entertainment fiona dodwell morrissey music politics

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom