Morrissey supports terrorism

• Thread starter The Devil's Reject
  • Start date
> Are you aware of the distinction between ALF and ARM? Since you seem so
> bothered by it, I'm gonna post about it...because it's very interesting
> for those of us sick of zealots and terrorists in this world.

I certainly hate zealots and terrorists. Like George Bush for example. The man is placed in office once by an outright phony election and a second time by one that is questionable. Then he starts a war based on faulty evidence. When it turns out the evidence was false, he says it was a good idea anyway. I think that qualifies as a zealot.

As far as terrorism, when an innocent person starts having bombs rained on them I don't think it matters what their religion is or who dropped the bomb for what reason. Our attack on Iraq certainly had to have terrorized nearly everyone there.

But Saddam Hussein was such a terrible man. Then why did we support him in the past? Did we not know? Or as in the case with other brutal leaders, we didn't care when it suited our purposes?

"George Bush knows Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction. He's got the receipt."

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/handshake300.jpg

Re: I'll Go One Farther

Sorry, that should be "further". You've just invalidated your entire argument.

OMG! photographic proof that Bush was responsible for 9/11!

http://morriderir.com/imgat/atosamageorge.jpg

I love that I've struck a nerve

You see, I don't like people who put bombs in the mail, and I don't like people who support that shit. I can see it bothers you that I draw this line violence from mentally deranged and self-righteous zealots.

> Knowing that, how can you possibly support Morrissey? You can't.

I listen to music. I don't "support" Morrissey as in believing he's some "leader" and I'm his "follower." He writes songs for people to listen to, most of which have nothing to do with these topics. Beyond that, when he is wearing his politician hat, such as that he thinks the Animal Rights Militia are wonderful people because they've decided to use violence against scientists, I'm proudly on the opposite side of him and I'm glad to help make Morrissey-Solo a frustrating place for him - and those of his fans who agree with him - to check in on.

You've again not addressed any points.

You can't
> do that anymore than you can live with the idea of "containing"
> Saddam or negotiating with Al Qaeda. When the body's cancerous, remove the
> tumor-- isn't that right? Let your conscience be your guide. Every time
> you listen to Morrissey, remember-- he'd like nothing more than to bomb
> people he disagrees with for fatuous, arbitrary, anti-intellectual reasons
> which cannot stand up to the noble scrutiny of men like you. So do the
> right thing. Burn your Morrissey CDs, renounce him publicly, and stop
> coming to this site. This great American nation of ours can accept nothing
> less of its native sons here, now, in this time of grave peril.

There are several people on this site who agree with me, just so ya know. And I saw on the main page board there were probably more messages attacking him than supporting him concerning that Q&A. I liked the guy who compared him to a ridiculous straight-edger.

Re: I love that I've struck a nerve

> You see, I don't like people who put bombs in the mail, and I don't like
> people who support that shit. I can see it bothers you that I draw this
> line violence from mentally deranged and self-righteous zealots.

This line against violence from the mentally deranged....

Morrissey's comments are political theater, nothing more. Just as your comments are meant to provoke ire and little else-- "Morrissey supports terrorism". Uh-huh. That was meant to spark an honest debate, is that it?

Moreover, as usual your priorities and sense of scale are totally wrong. Goliath is out crushing skulls and you're wagging your finger at a few Davids for having the nerve to throw stones? Wake up. Your President is shredding the Constitution in the name of a lie he and his cohorts thought up to start a war they already wanted, evidence be damned. I'm sorry, I'd love to give animal rights activists a good talking-to about their methods, but that's pretty far down on my list right now. Should be on yours, too. If you cared about freedom you'd be calling your dumbass Republican congressman and demanding full, legitimate, and independent investigations into the evil that Bush has brought on this country and the world.

The fact that Morrissey brought up these topics is beside the point. They're germane to a fan site, yes, but you have yelled long and loud about your political principles, and central to all of your arguments is purity of will and reason. All of you idealists do the same thing. "You're either with us or against us". The Right has had a field day painting all political opposition with the same brush, a completely fascist tendency by the way. Thus you and your ilk are apparently the only people "sick of zealots and terrorists in this world".

And by that reasoning you are compromising yourself by listening to Morrissey and by coming to this site. That is what I was moved to write-- you come on here waving your own flag, going on about your personal integrity when it comes to politics, but the mere fact that you have haunted this board FOREVER despite having AMPLE evidence that for all intents and purposes this might as well be a Michael Moore/MOVEON/ANSWER site shows that you cannot even live up to your own precepts. I am telling you this straight up-- Morrissey is pro queer, pro women, pro vegetarian, pro violence to achieve good, anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-police state, anti War on Terror, and anti family. Hate to reduce an artist as complex as Morrissey like that, but maybe those are terms you'll understand. HE REPRESENTS EVERYTHING YOU HATE-- WHY DO YOU COME HERE?

> I certainly hate zealots and terrorists. Like George Bush for example.The
> man is placed in office once by an outright phony election and a second
> time by one that is questionable. Then he starts a war based on faulty
> evidence. When it turns out the evidence was false, he says it was a good
> idea anyway. I think that qualifies as a zealot.

Phoney election?

You're aware that the topic of the thread is animal rights terrorism, not Bush. You Bush haters do have trouble talking about anything else.....

I can understand why Morrissey opposes the "War on Terrorism," given his support for certain domestic terrorist groups.

> As far as terrorism, when an innocent person starts having bombs rained on
> them I don't think it matters what their religion is or who dropped the
> bomb for what reason. Our attack on Iraq certainly had to have terrorized
> nearly everyone there.

You speak as if Iraq was a nation at peace and no one was dying there.

No one won would choose war over peace. The choice wasn't between war and peace. It was already a country in a state of war, already a country with its people being terrorized and ethnically cleansed.

But thansk for the DailyKos talking points on Bush, even though Bush isn't the topic of this thread.

Um, "farther" indicates distance, "further" degree. In this case, either works, as in "I'll Go One Step Farther".

Don't tax yourself too much, 'kay?

> Morrissey's comments are political theater, nothing more.

Nothing more? He's a Michael-Moron! And he brings that into most of his interviews. Because he so wants to be percieved as more important than just a pop singer who competes with Britney spears for the dollars of people looking for some tunes to stick on their IPods. Well, I say, he wants to be a politician in his interviews, and he wants to say "radical" and "edgy" things to appear so very "punk," then the matters are open to discussion in his forums. And now that he has exposed a bit of himself beyond his usual one-liners, all is revealed. He's an airhead on these topics.

Just as your
> comments are meant to provoke ire and little else-- "Morrissey
> supports terrorism". Uh-huh. That was meant to spark an honest
> debate, is that it?

He does support terrorism. The ARM is a domestic terrorist group.

It happens to be the truth that, in that context, he supports terrorism.

I have no intention of reading the rest of this message closely. I'll skim it and see if you address any points.

> And by that reasoning you are compromising yourself by listening to
> Morrissey and by coming to this site.

I don't advocate people stop listening to Morrissey's music. He writes many good songs and has a bit of talent as a singer. It is a trait of the far left wing and the far right wing to have political litmus tests for artists before appreciating their artwork. I can very well say, "This is a great song," and it has nothing to do with Morrissey's idiotic statements about terrorism in his interviews.

As a Morrissey fan, yes, you struck a nerve. I can't believe the deluded people that come on here. Awhile ago there was some fool who openly sang the praises of Italian fascism and iron-fisted patriarchy-- and he's allegedly a big Morrissey fan. What is it about you people?

> You see, I don't like people who put bombs in the mail, and I don't like
> people who support that shit. I can see it bothers you that I draw this
> line violence from mentally deranged and self-righteous zealots.

You don't draw a line. If you did, you'd turn your back on George W. Bush and the GOP. But you don't. Your entire thought process is muddled hopelessly.

> I listen to music. I don't "support" Morrissey as in believing
> he's some "leader" and I'm his "follower." He writes
> songs for people to listen to, most of which have nothing to do with these
> topics. Beyond that, when he is wearing his politician hat, such as that
> he thinks the Animal Rights Militia are wonderful people because they've
> decided to use violence against scientists, I'm proudly on the opposite
> side of him and I'm glad to help make Morrissey-Solo a frustrating place
> for him - and those of his fans who agree with him - to check in on.

Are you kidding me? You actually say, "Gee, I think I'll go post on Morrissey-solo to annoy and frustrate his fans?" You didn't just say that, did you? How desperate are you?

> There are several people on this site who agree with me, just so ya know.

Let me put it this way: I don't care if you've got 100 buddies lined up to support you. The fact that you claim to like Morrissey shows that you either know nothing about Morrissey or about your own politics. His views about life and politics are inseparable from his music. I want you to show some backbone and stop coming here, because aside from any time-wasting-- apparently you're not, since it pleases you to stir up trouble-- you're exposing the pathetic weakness of your personal political philosophy. It crumbles on the most basic level-- Morrissey "supports domestic terrorism". You should be ashamed of yourself to own his CDs. Ashamed!

If George Galloway gave money to Saddam Hussein, directly or indirectly, then he supports a mass murderer and should be hung from a tree by his fingernails-- yet apparently if you give money to Morrissey, directly or indirectly, your hands are clean? Even if Morrissey wasn't himself a killer, you're helping give him a pedestal from which to broadcast hateful messages in support of terrorists. Where is your principle? Are you a hypocrite? Do you think that your twelve bucks can't compare to Galloway's millions? Really? You'd put a price tag on doing the right thing?

Since you're skimming...

Since you're skimming, I'll make this one reeeeeeeal easy for you.

It's a question from my post below, and it relates directly to your silly argument about liking an artist for his music only.

If George Galloway gave money to Saddam Hussein, directly or indirectly, then he supports a mass murderer and should be hung from a tree by his fingernails-- yet apparently if you give money to Morrissey, directly or indirectly, your hands are clean? Even if Morrissey wasn't himself a killer, you're helping give him a pedestal from which to broadcast hateful messages in support of terrorists. Where is your principle? Are you a hypocrite? Do you think that your twelve bucks can't compare to Galloway's millions? Really? You'd put a price tag on doing the right thing?

What is always telling about someone like you (and you've posted at me like this in the past) is you bypass the constant political postings of others and only go after those who disagree with you.

When I skip a couple weeks from this forum, I come back and see so and so saying he hopes Thatcher doesn't recover after being taken to the hospital. I see someone going on about Jews this and Israel that. And the color of Condie Rice's skin and how she's a "filthy whore." And Americans this and Bush that. And oh, Galloway is the "most honest MP."

I'm sorry, you're gonna have to endure the fact that you're stuck with someone here who dissents and loves to do so. I didn't start the political stuff in this forum. I found it a fever-swamp of lefty hate and ignorance when I first came here several years ago.

Re: Since you're skimming...

> Since you're skimming, I'll make this one reeeeeeeal easy for you.

> It's a question from my post below, and it relates directly to your silly
> argument about liking an artist for his music only.

> If George Galloway gave money to Saddam Hussein, directly or indirectly,
> then he supports a mass murderer and should be hung from a tree by his
> fingernails-- yet apparently if you give money to Morrissey, directly or
> indirectly, your hands are clean?

Actually, I think Galloway (very popular politican on this site) recieved money from Saddam Hussein, with the help of his best friend Tariq Aziz. He was a bought spokesperson for the Baath regime, when Saddam was trying to influence governments to help get sanctions lifted.

>Even if Morrissey wasn't himself a
> killer, you're helping give him a pedestal from which to broadcast hateful
> messages in support of terrorists. Where is your principle? Are you a
> hypocrite? Do you think that your twelve bucks can't compare to Galloway's
> millions? Really? You'd put a price tag on doing the right thing?

No, because I'm tolerant. Good songs should be respected as good songs no matter what the failings of the person behind those songs. Art should be judged that way, IMO, not by what one feels about aspects of the artist. For example, a girl once told me she could never listen to Miles Davis because he (according to her - I have no idea) beat on a woman in his life. Well, if that were true about Miles Davis it would say something sad about him, but it has nothing to do with the merits of his music. Another person told me he wouldn't subject himself to the movie "Powder" because the director had been arrestec for child molestation. That's too bad about the director, but it doesn't have anything to do with the merits of his movies.

Harry Belafonte just went to Venezuela and called Bush the biggest tyrant in the world while he sucked Hugo Chavez's penis. Doesn't mean I won't love "Day-O" being played at the next baseball game.

And, frankly, I don't think Morrissey is persuading people with his views. I worry about some nutter kid who might do something crazy on his influence, but other than that, what this is about is just enjoying attacking someone who's said things I despise. It's really just for my own fun, dude.

Again, it tends to be far lefties or far righties who say, Oh, that movie sucks or shouldn't be appreciated because it was made by someone I disagree with or who has done something I hate.

> You don't draw a line. If you did, you'd turn your back on George W. Bush
> and the GOP. But you don't. Your entire thought process is muddled
> hopelessly.

Bush is a lesser evil. I admire his courage on certain things.

There'd have been no elections in Iraq had Kerry been elected, so good thing that didn't happen.

> Let me put it this way: I don't care if you've got 100 buddies lined up to
> support you. The fact that you claim to like Morrissey shows that you
> either know nothing about Morrissey or about your own politics.

What you don't understand is that there are some political views in Morrissey's songs I do agree with, and some that I do not, but mostly his songs are about more universal feelings. He wouldn't be selling many records if all of his listeners agreed with all of his views. It's really not about that for most music listeners. Music gets beyond such things, IMO. The thing of it is, his views in interviews on certain topics are views that I totally despise, so I'll say so. I think we're in very dangerous times right now and I feel every bit as strongly about the war on my side of it (the side against Islamic-fascism) as you do in on your side (not really sure what side that is). We came very, very close to derailing the democratization process in Iraq on the unhelpful influence of Bush haters, for example. And that would've been a humanitarian catastrophe of huge proportions. I couldn't be prouder that to live in a country that is standing up to the Islamic-fascist bullshit that has been plaguing the world for decades, I won't stand for people talking shit about that without me saying something back. My country is at war, and the fact is, those who don't see eye to eye about it are gonna have pretty strong feelings and it's gonna cause fights. So be it.

> Um, "farther" indicates distance, "further" degree. In
> this case, either works, as in "I'll Go One Step Farther".

> Don't tax yourself too much, 'kay?

Yes, farther indicates physical distance. They aren't interchangable. Unless you are going further in order to go farther, maybe in a marathon or something. But I'll except your explanation.

the pot calls the kettle communist

> What is always telling about someone like you (and you've posted at me
> like this in the past) is you bypass the constant political postings of
> others and only go after those who disagree with you.

This is completely true of you, Oaf. Someone says something you disagree with and you feel it is your duty to "correct" them.

What is completely telling about you, in my opinion, is the comment that you like to "mock Morrissey" and "next time I get drunk" something something blahblahblah, etc.

Is that what this board is for? So you can get drunk and try to annoy people? The way you type sometimes I can see that something is going on, but I thought you were frothing at the mouth. I'm actually glad to know that isn't the case.

You smugly post that you are glad you hit a nerve. It's more like when a fly keeps buzzing around and finally annoys you to the point that you get up and smack it.

Smug is ugly. It doesn't win you friends, it doesn't make you smart. People who enjoy annoying others to get their kicks are sad.

Your recent comment regarding Iraq that "the price of gas is coming down" was intellectually dishonest and proved that you are ready to cling to whatever argument serves your purpose for the time being.

As far as Margaret Thatcher, I wasn't brought up to wish death on people but I didn't live under her government, and I don't think you did either. It is no surprise on this board where Morrissey long ago wished for her death, that people would find that a reasonable opinion.

Morrissey also said when Reagan died that it should have been George Bush.

Would we be better off if George Bush had died rather than Ronald Reagan? I think maintaining our presence in Iraq is partly a matter of saving face for this administration. There is no way to pull out now gracefully without lending credence to the idea that maybe we shouldn't have gone there in the first place. So we dream of future goals which will somehow justify the deaths of American soldiers, not to mention the thousands of Iraqis killed in this war. Meanwhile we are told to look forward to decades of war.

We have to stay there long enough for people to forget Abu Ghraib, I guess, becasue Iraq is probably never going to have a democratically elected government, friendly to the US, that anyone from here would want to live under.

> Awhile ago there was some fool who openly sang
> the praises of Italian fascism and iron-fisted patriarchy-- and he's
> allegedly a big Morrissey fan.

That fool would be me!

You avoid the question? How can you support Morrissey by buying his records?

"Shut up", he explained.
—Ring Lardner, "The Young Immigrunts" (1920)

I believe I answered that question 4 or 5 different times. Here....

The messages got scattered confusingly after that worm spazzed (and never addressed any points).

So, here...although I'm already tucked into bed and flipping thru the Economist and Playboy....I'll put my various answers to that question together into one message.

I'd add that if a Morrissey CD ever said "proceeds go to ARM"...well, I think he'd have problems releasing that record so I don't think it'll come up. Some wanna lump PeTA in as a "terrorist supporting" ogranization (like how the IRA has a political branch), but I'm extremely cautious about viewing them that way despite the evidence in both their financial records and public statements. PeTA is a propagandist organization who's MO is to intimidate and lie (and every once in awhile provide good information), but it is important to respect PeTA's right to take part in democracy the legitimate way. This acts as a safety valve to lessen violence, and also demonstrates how illegitimate it is for barbarian groups to act like they have to be violent.

Anyway, here are my answers, consolidated:

------------

I don't advocate people stop listening to Morrissey's music. He writes many good songs and has a bit of talent as a singer. It is a trait of the far left wing and the far right wing to have political litmus tests for artists before appreciating their artwork. I can very well say, "This is a great song," and it has nothing to do with Morrissey's idiotic statements about terrorism in his interviews.

======

>Even if Morrissey wasn't himself a
> killer, you're helping give him a pedestal from which to broadcast hateful
> messages in support of terrorists. Where is your principle? Are you a
> hypocrite?

No, because I'm tolerant. Good songs should be respected as good songs no matter what the failings of the person behind those songs. Art should be judged that way, IMO, not by what one feels about aspects of the artist. For example, a girl once told me she could never listen to Miles Davis because he (according to her - I have no idea) beat on a woman in his life. Well, if that were true about Miles Davis it would say something sad about him, but it has nothing to do with the merits of his music. Another person told me he wouldn't subject himself to the movie "Powder" because the director had been arrestec for child molestation. That's too bad about the director, but it doesn't have anything to do with the merits of his movies.

Harry Belafonte just went to Venezuela and called Bush the biggest tyrant in the world while he sucked Hugo Chavez's penis. Doesn't mean I won't love "Day-O" being played at the next baseball game.

Again, it tends to be far lefties or far righties who say, Oh, that movie sucks or shouldn't be appreciated because it was made by someone I disagree with or who has done something I hate.

======

I listen to music. I don't "support" Morrissey as in believing he's some "leader" and I'm his "follower." He writes songs for people to listen to, most of which have nothing to do with these topics. Beyond that, when he is wearing his politician hat, such as that he thinks the Animal Rights Militia are wonderful people because they've decided to use violence against scientists, I'm proudly on the opposite side of him and I'm glad to help make Morrissey-Solo a frustrating place for him - and those of his fans who agree with him - to check in on.

======

What you don't understand is that there are some political views in Morrissey's songs I do agree with, and some that I do not, but mostly his songs are about more universal feelings. He wouldn't be selling many records if all of his listeners agreed with all of his views. It's really not about that for most music listeners. Music gets beyond such things, IMO. The thing of it is, his views in interviews on certain topics are views that I totally despise, so I'll say so. I think we're in very dangerous times right now and I feel every bit as strongly about the war on my side of it (the side against Islamic-fascism) as you do in on your side (not really sure what side that is). We came very, very close to derailing the democratization process in Iraq on the unhelpful influence of Bush haters, for example. And that would've been a humanitarian catastrophe of huge proportions. I couldn't be prouder that to live in a country that is standing up to the Islamic-fascist bullshit that has been plaguing the world for decades, I won't stand for people talking shit about that without me saying something back. My country is at war, and the fact is, those who don't see eye to eye about it are gonna have pretty strong feelings and it's gonna cause fights. So be it.

--------------

Back
Top Bottom