Morrissey Suedehead JAPAN TEST PRESS/PROMO 7"

It's not a test pressing, it's a promotional record.

well the insert leads me to think its a promo...however I have had records of my own music made onto vinyl and blank labels such as these are test pressings. I have seen many promo records in japan, they are referred to as "white label" and the label is the same (track listing etc) as the official release, except on white label w/ black text and the Japanese kanji for promo. This record does not have track listing and is very different than other Japanese promo releases I have seen (I deal used records in Japan).

I am not claiming it is either, since I cannot figure out which one it is myself. I have evidence to believe it is a test pressing and evidence to believe it is a promo. I have listed it as such. I am not trying to mislead anyone.

It is a Japanese Promo. Not Test-press . I have an Iron Maiden" Promo exactly like that. Maiden collector's refer it as the "Can I Play With Madness"Japan 7" promo.

Last edited:
There must be a test pressing of it out there somewhere though!

I got excited about the "test pressing" wording too, but saw it was the stock promo.

There must be a test pressing of it out there somewhere though!

I got excited about the "test pressing" wording too, but saw it was the stock promo.

Yeah, me to. But you are right, I wonder why none have entered the market? At least to my knowledge they haven't.

While it's not unheard of for Japanese test pressings to find their way into the marketplace, in general they are far rarer than their Western counterparts. I've lived and collected records here for over 15 years and have only seen them a handful of times.

The Japanese being careful about everything else in their record manufacturing, are apt to keep strict watch on test pressings and probably have them all destroyed once the final master has been decided.

As a general rule, test pressings rarely have printed labels. Or if they do, it's a generic label from the pressing plant (Mayking, etc.). Not only does this item have a printed label, but it comes with a sleeve advertising the content... = clearly a promo. To top it off, the record has those promo/sample characters on its label.

Stephane

Back
Top Bottom